Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Hurt posted:

Dawn of Sorrow is the superior Sorrow. I sure love flailing around on the touchscreen. But really any GBA/DS Castlevania games are good fun.

Counterpoint: Dawn of Sorrow's character designs are more generic (excepting the priestess lady, I guess), and its story is not nearly as good. About all it has going for it is that smug jerk villain (EDIT: okay, the Castlevania 3 mode is also pretty good, in fact it's by far better than the main mode). But worst of all, they jacked the soul rarity way up while also shoehorning in a dumb crafting system to force you to grind for souls if you want to use non-starter-tier weapons, and a dumb soul leveling system that means that even when you do get a soul it'll probably be underpowered unless you grind for more copies of it!

They should have named it Grind of Sorrow. It's the worst modern Castlevania, possibly excepting Circle of the Moon. Ranking is something like Ecclesia > Aria = Portrait > Symphony > Dissonance > Moon =?= Dawn.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it works for me. :shrug:

Also, good editing choices.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Lightning Doll or bust :colbert: Valkyrie is also good because so much in this game is weak to Holy damage.

I knew about that back door to the IQ but never bothered with it since I'm too much of a rule-follower. Also because the Headhunter soul is really good but I can see why you'd want to skip that fight on a low-level run! Do you not need the slide elsewhere in the game?

I think the only required use of the slide is one of the paths into Top Floor. I'm also pretty sure that you can get Giant Bat before needing to go that way, which just lets you fly through the slot instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
See if you can contact the folks on the TASVideos forums; they'll have a game thread in their GBA subforum for this game. They can a) help you directly set the RNG via memory address manipulation (which is cheating, but helpful for diagnostic purposes), and b) help you figure out why the game is locking up.

You're presumably on an emulator of some kind, it could also be worth trying a different emulator to see if you're running into an emulation bug.

...is the soul Manticore? That's one of the transformation souls, isn't it?

EDIT: oh yeah, gameshark codes could be an easy culprit. Especially if it is Manticore since IIRC that enemy has some kind of weird double-kill thing you can do which might be confusing the game logic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
There have been several times in the preceding videos where I was expecting you to reflexively kill some weak enemy. Thank you for relieving that bit of dramatic tension. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Soma sitting on his throne when Julius confronts him. Ideally without the text in front of course, but you can use the text as your avatar text.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That blue imp room looked like a pain in the rear end. How long did you spend punching the air there? :magical:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I was going to rag on you for not getting Balmung before fighting Balore, but there's a slide-corridor in the way!

I also don't remember the endgame being so soon after the Arena, but I guess all the backtracking through old areas, getting Chronomage, etc. is just to get the hints you need to get the good ending. All you really need is those three souls.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

What were the hints again - I can't remember how you're supposed to figure out it's those three souls in particular?

They're given as fragments of a book, or something like that. You look at their flavor text in the inventory and they describe the souls. Like, "the first form was that of an enormous bat", that kind of thing. The hintbooks are in various obscure locations; the only one I remember in particular is in the guest quarters behind Chronomage.

With a bit of meta-knowledge you could notice that some souls are closely-associated with Dracula, viz the ones that let you turn into a bat, suck blood, and fire his traditional triple-fireball spread (there's no teleport or meteor souls in this game, sadly). But without the hints you're unlikely to figure out that you're supposed to use all three at the same time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am loving these music edits. :allears:

On the other hand, I hadn't really anticipated just how much you'd be able to brute-force these fights via healing potions. I mean, you can't carry an unbounded supply of them, but they do give you a hell of a lot more leeway than I'd expected you'd have.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I liked Portrait of Ruin better, personally, but Ecclesia is good too.

It's a shame that Dawn of Sorrow was such a dumpster fire. :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Wow, Persona music works surprisingly well with Somacula.

...I'm giving you some weird looks for Sonic Boom and the kazoo Bloody Tears, though. :shepface:

Congratulations on beating Chaos, and thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

That would honestly probably be easier than this (if I weren't so bad at Julius mode). There's not much to gain from killing regular enemies in Julius aside from convenience.

The TAS defeats Creaking Skull and Headhunter en route to the final boss, not because they're in their way (the runner has to detour to get to Headhunter), but because every time Julius grabs a boss orb, he levels up, improving his offense and defense. I'm think it's possible to get to the end without facing any bosses, but the fight already takes 2 minutes of perfect whip-slinging in the TAS; imagine how long it'd take if you were dealing 1 damage per hit instead of 21, and couldn't afford to get hit more than 3-4 times. With no potions.

• Locked thread