Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

fantastic in plastic posted:

What do non-Americans think of American food? If you've visited and eaten at non-chain restaurants or had home-cooked meals in America, what did you think?

Is there food in your country which gets branded or marketed as "American"? Are there American-themed restaurants, like how Outback Steakhouse presents itself as "Australian"?

Most of the American food I ate tasted sweeter than I'm used to. Not in a particularly bad way, but even basic food items like bread were sweeter than I'm used to, as well as sauces, etc. I think my favourite meal out of all of them was Chicago's deep dish pizza, and I'm sad I can't find it over here. A thing I noted was that sushi trains and Japanese restaurants in general were a lot less common than they are where I live. My local small shopping centre has two Sushi places, the street I used to live on had three, etc. They're extremely popular over here, and not so much over there.

I thought starbucks being everywhere was a joke.

It's not a joke in New York.

I literally navigated my way around with starbucks free wifi stops because there was always one or two on every drat street.

Skoll posted:

American culture and Hollywood has been cited a few times in this thread. Since our media is pretty world reaching, what do you non US goons think about American movies? What kind of impressions do you get from the ones that are centered in the US as opposed to taking place in international venues?

99% of Americans trying to do Australian accents ends terribly. I'm aware Pacific Rim wasn't meant to be a comedy, but the entire theatre was snorting with laughter every time the fake "Australian" actors spoke. Imagine... Gosh, imagine if a British person was pretending to be Texan by going 'Ya'll' while still speaking in a British accent. It was ridiculous.

American movies tend to write out every other nation which isn't so bad in sci-fi movies, etc. But it gets a bit annoying when all the world wars suddenly ignore the fact that it wasn't 'America saves the day by itself. AMURICA!' Especially when the message bleeds over into the actual perception of history. I don't have much of an opinion of American movies centred in America, although I imagine I've absorbed lots of questionable pop culture stereotypes of places in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You know that weird bit in every big budget movie where they go to China for no reason (we'll, no diegetic reason, just cause China gave them heaps of money) and spend 5 minutes talking about how great the Chinese government is? The entire rest of the movie is like that for non Americans.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
America gives me the impression of being more contradictory than other places. I've never been to the US, but I know a bunch of Americans and I get a lot of exposure to the culture through media, the internet and of course particularly the forums. Americans seem to truly believe in their exceptionalism, they are often very idealistic and always super individualistic people. They love to talk about success and seem to genuinely want you to be successful and they often show an alarming disregard of failure. Because of this they often tend to think of success as a result of an opportunity-rich society and failure as an individual's mistake. Work and income are valued higher over free time and family than in other countries, which is why Americans spend most of their free time spending money. The amount of working time many Americans experience as normal would be deemed highly exploitative in other places.

I'm aware that this is a comparison between American and European middle-class people, but that's the only experiences I have made so far. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting the US for the first time this year, but I'm also more scared of going there than any other place I've been to yet, especially because of what you hear about paranoid officials and all the special things you need to worry about you wouldn't need to do when travelling to other, even non-EU places.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Honj Steak posted:

I'm aware that this is a comparison between American and European middle-class people, but that's the only experiences I have made so far. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting the US for the first time this year, but I'm also more scared of going there than any other place I've been to yet, especially because of what you hear about paranoid officials and all the special things you need to worry about you wouldn't need to do when travelling to other, even non-EU places.

if you are coming from the EU, our paranoid officials will probably be nicer to you than they are to us.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Earwicker posted:

if you are coming from the EU, our paranoid officials will probably be nicer to you than they are to us.

unless you have brown skin or do anything that could be plausibly mistaken for being muslim, sure

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

deathbot posted:

American movies tend to write out every other nation which isn't so bad in sci-fi movies, etc. But it gets a bit annoying when all the world wars suddenly ignore the fact that it wasn't 'America saves the day by itself. AMURICA!' Especially when the message bleeds over into the actual perception of history. I don't have much of an opinion of American movies centred in America, although I imagine I've absorbed lots of questionable pop culture stereotypes of places in it.

I was seeing a movie in Canada with my (Canadian) husband and before the movie there was a super-!!AMERICA!! trailer for some crappy jingoistic war movie and the last shot was someone saying something like "WE WILL DEFEND IT WITH OUR LIVES" over a shot of a huge American flag and it was amazing how icy the audience reaction was. Even in Canada, which is so similar to America, some of our media seems way, way out of place.

I might see if I can't get him to post in here but when he was growing up, the only exposure he had to the states was day trips to Detroit, so he thought the entire country was run-down and scary.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

If you feel nervous in America, remember that your passport should be good enough to prove that you're over 18, and you can buy a drop knife for like $20. Usually a three-inch or smaller blade is classified as a tool, not a weapon, but that depends on jurisdiction.

e: some shops don't really care though, knives like that were pretty common in my high school.

e2: Euro-types, what's your opinion of US weed culture?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 19, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If you feel nervous in America, remember that your passport should be good enough to prove that you're over 18, and you can buy a drop knife for like $20. Usually a three-inch or smaller blade is classified as a tool, not a weapon, but that depends on jurisdiction.

e: some shops don't really care though, knives like that were pretty common in my high school.

This reminds me of that time a new guy at work who had just moved here from NYC asked me why everyone carried pocketknives around all the time, while I was in the middle of cutting some boxes open, because don't they worry about everyone having weapons in here? And I was completely taken aback by the idea of knives being on the radar because we were almost certainly the only two people in the building who didn't own a gun.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Not a European, but I imagine it's very similar to my own nation.

What starts as teenagers/uni students who can't shut up about weed, and base their entire lives around a plant, eventually mature and realize that bonging some choof isn't as "hardcore" as it was during high school and keep it more or less in the background of their lives.

Of course, there are always exceptions.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tarantula posted:

I don't think Americans take criticism of their country very well, they always seem to have to jump to it's defense no matter the issue especially if it's a foreigner saying something about them. Also in general they seem to lack a good sense of self depreciating humor. Oh yea and the nationalism in even people who call themselves leftist is creepy as gently caress with all the flags and military worship.
I've noticed the opposite online, especially on reddit. Maybe it's because reddit mostly leans liberal but it's common to see Americans bash the crap out of their own country on many things, but say something bad about Germany or France and the European Defense Force comes out of the woodwork. It's most obvious on /r/IWantOut.

skit herre posted:

Exactly what I meant with weirdly defensive.

Imagine that guy from Germany would go on a similar boring tirade every time someone makes a nazi joke about Germany.
This actually happens and lol if you've never seen it. Generally speaking I've noticed that the smaller the country is the more defensive people there seem to be about it.

Bloke posted:

First time in the US 2 months ago, NYC and Philly and was surprised by the lack of morbid obesity. Americans really aren't as fat as I thought.
Yeah it depends on the area. Poor rural areas you see it a lot more, especially in the South. I was a mormon missionary in Alabama for 2 years and people there are enormous. That's what happens with really terrible diets and urban design that's hostile to anything other than driving.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
It's worth noting, since he mentioned the lack of obese folks in NYC and Philly, that Philly is consistently in the running for the fattest large city in the US.

If you're in Center City, or Old City, or some of the gentrified hipper neighborhoods, then you'll see a bunch of great, fit, attractive people. If you venture off into West or North​ Philly, or South Philly you'll notice a fair bit more obese people. The city actually just passed a pretty draconian sugary drinks tax that has caused a fair amount of controversy.

That said, NYC, Philly, and other older east coast cities tend to be far more walkable.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
There are no loving light fixtures on the ceiling.

There is no loving DOOR TO THE KITCHEN.

Every single public bathroom door has a gap of 4cm down the side and like a foot at the bottom.

Been here 6 years and I still can not get the gently caress over this poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ceiling lights are the devil.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Retro Access posted:

There is no loving DOOR TO THE KITCHEN.

A physical door? Like bedrooms and bathrooms have?
Where is that standard?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

light fixtures on ceilings are very common all over the US :confused:

I think the question in the OP is about impressions of the country as a whole not one specific building

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Scudworth posted:

A physical door? Like bedrooms and bathrooms have?
Where is that standard?
In my apartment in Bavaria there are doors to the kitchen and living room. Basically when you enter the apartment you're in a sizable hallway, and every room attached to it has a door.

Also the blinds in Germany don't screw around. The blinds built into the walls of this apartment seem like they were designed for a zombie apocalypse. It's fantastic and I love it (the blinds that American homes come with are almost always garbage).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Cicero posted:

In my apartment in Bavaria there are doors to the kitchen and living room. Basically when you enter the apartment you're in a sizable hallway, and every room attached to it has a door.

Many older (pre-1940s) homes in the US had doors everywhere too. Once central heating and central air started taking off, doors disappeared, and many older homes were retrofitted to remove them.

Like, my house is a pre-1900 farmhouse. There used to be a central hall with doors to the living room, dining room, and kitchen. In the past 100 years though, that's all been removed since...well, it's kind of annoying to have to open a door or keep the swing radius clear. With modern venting there's no real need to close off the kitchen as well.

Cicero posted:

Also the blinds in Germany don't screw around. The blinds built into the walls of this apartment seem like they were designed for a zombie apocalypse. It's fantastic and I love it (the blinds that American homes come with are almost always garbage).

I'm thinking there might be some confusion here since your talking about "built in blinds". What exactly are you talking about? The cheapo blinds that come with most apartments in the US are...well, cheap because people often either remove/replace them with something nicer or the apartment has high turnover and the landlord doesn't want to risk investing in something that can be easily wrecked by an idiot.

If you rent higher end places, you'll see higher end window dressing.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Earwicker posted:

light fixtures on ceilings are very common all over the US :confused:

I think the question in the OP is about impressions of the country as a whole not one specific building

I've lived in three apartments in Florida and visited multiple houses.

Yes this is not the whole of the USA, just Florida but this lack of ceiling lights and ability to close off your kitchen from children or pets is really strange to me. Especially given I've lived in two other countries (for years) and not having ceiling lights would render your apartment an unlivable space. Not having a kitchen door, I guess is ok in a really small studio apartment but all of ours have been huge.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Retro Access posted:

not having ceiling lights would render your apartment an unlivable space

uh what? you just buy a lamp or two

in any case, maybe that's a Florida thing but its definitely not an "American thing", almost every apartment I've lived in had ceiling light fixtures, some buildings dont but its not a big deal because lamps exist (or you can just install some ceiling light fixtures yourself if they are so necessary)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 24, 2017

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Earwicker posted:

uh what? you just buy a lamp or two

in any case, maybe that's a Florida thing but its definitely not an "American thing", almost every apartment I've lived in had ceiling light fixtures, some buildings dont but its not a big deal because lamps exist (or you can just install some ceiling light fixtures yourself if they are so necessary)

They aren't as bright in general than something carefully planned as a feature of the room design and if you want to dissipate light all over the whole of the room you end up either having several annoying lamps taking up wall sockets for, and in the way for your animals to knock over or one big one in the middle of the room for the whole family to knock over I guess.

I want that poo poo out of the way, and I want my pets to not have free access to my kitchen.

As to all the other things I think of the USA besides these relatively trivial things, it's all poo poo that I'm deeply ashamed of my own country for because it's a tiny microcosm of the USA, and it recently did something way more embarrassing than Trump. So it's not something I can even state as a difference.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Ah!! That reminds me:

Why the hell is almost every building in America using a revolving door? I swear, I went through more of them in a week than I have in my entire life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

deathbot posted:

Ah!! That reminds me:

Why the hell is almost every building in America using a revolving door? I swear, I went through more of them in a week than I have in my entire life.

They were invented to sidestep the custom of men opening doors for women, and they stayed in use because they're actually really good at improving a building's energy efficiency.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They were invented to sidestep the custom of men opening doors for women

are you sure? I thought they were invented just because they prevent a big draft of cold air from entering a building every time the door opens, the page you link also seems to suggest the same reason

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Earwicker posted:

are you sure? I thought they were invented just because they prevent a big draft of cold air from entering a building every time the door opens, the page you link also seems to suggest the same reason

Depends on who you ask.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Retro Access posted:

They aren't as bright in general than something carefully planned as a feature of the room design and if you want to dissipate light all over the whole of the room you end up either having several annoying lamps taking up wall sockets for, and in the way for your animals to knock over or one big one in the middle of the room for the whole family to knock over I guess.

I want that poo poo out of the way, and I want my pets to not have free access to my kitchen.

As to all the other things I think of the USA besides these relatively trivial things, it's all poo poo that I'm deeply ashamed of my own country for because it's a tiny microcosm of the USA, and it recently did something way more embarrassing than Trump. So it's not something I can even state as a difference.

People who sit around in rooms lit by just the ceiling light are weirdos, way to go making your place look like a jail cell.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm thinking there might be some confusion here since your talking about "built in blinds". What exactly are you talking about?
The mechanism for controlling the blinds goes through the wall, because the blinds are on the outside.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Retro Access posted:

I have ceiling lights in all the rooms of my home, but the only ones that actually gets used are the light over the kitchen table for dinner and the big bright light in the kitchen for food prep (safety first!). Having a lamp shade direct light to the ceiling or floor before hitting me in the eyes makes it much gentler. At work it's big bright fluorescents all day, when I get home I just want to chill out with some gentle light, y'know?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Cicero posted:

The mechanism for controlling the blinds goes through the wall, because the blinds are on the outside.

This sounds like some kind of industrial shutter, which are totally different than blinds and serve a separate purpose.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Retro Access posted:

How loving clumsy are you and your family?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

This sounds like some kind of industrial shutter, which are totally different than blinds and serve a separate purpose.
How does it 'serve a different purpose'? The primary reasons for both are to a) block people from seeing you, and b) block out light. Cheap apartment blinds are fine for the first but usually suck hard at the second.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Retro Access posted:

I've lived in three apartments in Florida and visited multiple houses.

I am from Florida and have literally no idea what you're talking about:confused:

Question for non-muricans: Did any of you have a chance to visit any of the national parks or do other outdoorsy stuff? What were your experiences there, good or bad? Thoughts/recommendations for other non-Americans visiting American parks? Specifically I've heard from a few Australians that while there are tiny insects that (rarely) might kill you, they find the concept of predatory megafauna (wolves/bears/panthers etc) utterly terrifying, but don't know if thats A Thing that people think about when thinking of America in general.

Obligatory pointless American brag: our national parks are probably bigger than your whole country:smuggo:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Obligatory pointless American brag: our national parks are probably bigger than your whole country:smuggo:

Only until the Republicans are done selling them to the highest bidder.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
america sucks rear end, it's a poo poo place to live, it's loving up the rest of the world and most americans are either for-real stupid or as smart as normal people but so messed up by lack of education and media brainwashing that they might as well be stupid

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
also the american military is going to go down in history as a monstrous conquering force that has destroyed millions of innocent lives and ancient cultures. we pretend to respect individual troops to avoid a fight but in actuality anyone who voluntarily joins the american military is a selfish subhuman who's putting their own finances above other people's lives and deserves nothing but mockery

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
and finally, america doesn't have electric kettles and that is incredibly loving strange

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Avshalom posted:

and finally, america doesn't have electric kettles and that is incredibly loving strange

nah we have those.

i didnt understand your other posts, because of the media and schools, so i wont comment there

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Jamwad Hilder posted:

nah we have those.

i didnt understand your other posts, because of the media and schools, so i wont comment there
you loving don't. do not give me that poo poo. i'm going to kill you

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I'm in america and there are like three different electric kettles in my lab's kitchen area for some reason

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Avshalom posted:

you loving don't. do not give me that poo poo. i'm going to kill you

I'm in america and I've got an electric kettle and I use it every day, you lepton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

disjoe posted:

I'm in america and I've got an electric kettle and I use it every day, you lepton

Yeah, but can you confidently go to a neighbors and find one?

It exists but it's not a standard appliance.

• Locked thread