Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tarantula posted:

I think this helps emphasize my opinion Americans get really unnecessarily prickly about even mild criticism of their country and it's current/previous actions.

He's not wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

skit herre posted:

Exactly what I meant with weirdly defensive.

Imagine that guy from Germany would go on a similar boring tirade every time someone makes a nazi joke about Germany.

I can easily imagine that. I've also suffered through British people telling me how lovely and racist Americans are before immediately seguing into a rant about the "Pakis".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

imo it's pretty weird to bring up 19th century european imperialism as a defence of modern US foreign policy

if nothing else, have you checked out what the US was up to in the 19th century

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't read that as a defense of anything America has done. It's pointing out that you're a bunch of right bastards responsible for the state of the third world too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

That's not at all how we view Florida. Florida is the reason even those of us who want to stop global warming occasionally ask, "... but should we?"

If there was a way to focus all the harmful effects on global warming onto Florida, we'd do it without a thought.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aunt Beth posted:

This would not surprise me. When I was in Spain in 2009 I met a Chilean woman who listed all the presidents in order from Obama to Nixon with an opinion of each. I sincerely doubt most Americans could do that.

Nixon: As paranoid and scandalmongering as Trump but a million-billion times better at being President
Ford: A good man but doomed from the start because Nixon.
Carter: Well-meaning but horribly inept.
Reagan: Not literally Satan like some people who share my politics would like you to believe, but still not particularly good.
Bush I: Wrong man at the wrong time.
Clinton: Remembered more fondly than he should be, couldn't tell the truth if his presidency depended on it.
Bush II: Terrible, but looks way better in retrospect because Trump. This is not a good thing.
Obama: Thanks for trying, Obama.
Trump: Only the second-worst President ever because he hasn't had a literal civil war break out during his term.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

deathbot posted:

Ah!! That reminds me:

Why the hell is almost every building in America using a revolving door? I swear, I went through more of them in a week than I have in my entire life.

They were invented to sidestep the custom of men opening doors for women, and they stayed in use because they're actually really good at improving a building's energy efficiency.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Earwicker posted:

are you sure? I thought they were invented just because they prevent a big draft of cold air from entering a building every time the door opens, the page you link also seems to suggest the same reason

Depends on who you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Says an Aussie.

• Locked thread