Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

deathbot posted:

American movies tend to write out every other nation which isn't so bad in sci-fi movies, etc. But it gets a bit annoying when all the world wars suddenly ignore the fact that it wasn't 'America saves the day by itself. AMURICA!' Especially when the message bleeds over into the actual perception of history. I don't have much of an opinion of American movies centred in America, although I imagine I've absorbed lots of questionable pop culture stereotypes of places in it.

I was seeing a movie in Canada with my (Canadian) husband and before the movie there was a super-!!AMERICA!! trailer for some crappy jingoistic war movie and the last shot was someone saying something like "WE WILL DEFEND IT WITH OUR LIVES" over a shot of a huge American flag and it was amazing how icy the audience reaction was. Even in Canada, which is so similar to America, some of our media seems way, way out of place.

I might see if I can't get him to post in here but when he was growing up, the only exposure he had to the states was day trips to Detroit, so he thought the entire country was run-down and scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ceiling lights are the devil.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Retro Access posted:

They aren't as bright in general than something carefully planned as a feature of the room design and if you want to dissipate light all over the whole of the room you end up either having several annoying lamps taking up wall sockets for, and in the way for your animals to knock over or one big one in the middle of the room for the whole family to knock over I guess.

I want that poo poo out of the way, and I want my pets to not have free access to my kitchen.

As to all the other things I think of the USA besides these relatively trivial things, it's all poo poo that I'm deeply ashamed of my own country for because it's a tiny microcosm of the USA, and it recently did something way more embarrassing than Trump. So it's not something I can even state as a difference.

People who sit around in rooms lit by just the ceiling light are weirdos, way to go making your place look like a jail cell.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Retro Access posted:

They aren't as bright in general than something carefully planned as a feature of the room design and if you want to dissipate light all over the whole of the room you end up either having several annoying lamps taking up wall sockets for, and in the way for your animals to knock over or one big one in the middle of the room for the whole family to knock over I guess.

I want that poo poo out of the way, and I want my pets to not have free access to my kitchen.

How loving clumsy are you and your family?

• Locked thread