Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
This thread got a bit weird in the middle.

I'm from New Zealand but have lived in the UK for the past few years. I have not been to America. Pretty much every American I've met has been very nice and friendly, and certainly very loud. During the elections I saw some horrible attitudes on TV - at first it was easy to dismiss the population as deluded and racist, but I was here during the Brexit fiasco, so I kind of realise how... muddled things can get with media misinformation, economic troubles and the rest. I think American's stubborn individualism/patriotism is both a strength and a weakness. Confidence is great, sure, but when it blinds you to the virtues of things like universal healthcare then it's also a problem.

People at work (small business, mostly British) love to joke about how awful America is. One was visibly upset about Trump. We probably talk about it more often than most places as one of our staff is American and a card carrying Republican. They all give her poo poo which she takes admirably but I think she's nice. We both got drunk once and talked politics, we just ended up agreeing to disagree and respected each others views, which is a bit of a novel experience I suppose.

I dunno, its a loving big, complex place. The larger you are, the bigger your problems seem, and vice versa for your accomplishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread