Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I don't think Americans take criticism of their country very well, they always seem to have to jump to it's defense no matter the issue especially if it's a foreigner saying something about them. Also in general they seem to lack a good sense of self depreciating humor. Oh yea and the nationalism in even people who call themselves leftist is creepy as gently caress with all the flags and military worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Oh, right, that too! The fact that you're legitimately scared of your cops. That is not a thing that's supposed to happen outside of a dictatorship. Cops here are great if you're not aboriginal.

e: also

I mean, sure, it's not nearly in the same league as the other stuff, but the day-to-day usage is exactly why it's irritating for non-US people. I don't want to have to get out the converter on my phone just to understand what you're on about when you tell me you get X miles to the gallon, eat a pound of cake or drink an ounce of coffee. You might as well be talking Martian.

Even more irritating when you order something like a coolbook and forget to check where the author is from..

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

Morbus posted:

Most of this is just garden variety nationalism, combined with the relative international isolation of most Americans. Part of it, at least for me (US goon), is that I can't help but roll my eyes a little when people from large and historically powerful European countries get sanctimonious while making critical comparisons between the US and their homeland on matters of foreign policy, military, politics, etc.

It's like, the rise of US power, for all its myriad and accelerating faults, has coincided with what is indisputably a profound decrease in the overall incidence and severity of wars and conflict throughout the world, and a long period of steadily increasing global prosperity. At minimum, its been awhile since 40 loving million people died in a war. This follows the preceding several hundred years where the global seat(s) of power were concentrated here or there in this European empire or that. And when it was their turn they spent like 200% of their time making GBS threads the bed, repeatedly, with ever fouler and wetter shits until by sheer providence they all managed to poo poo together in such a spectacular, total, and correlated way that it doomed any prospects of a dominant Europe for at least a century.

Only after being stripped of any semblance of global power, and being put in a geopolitical terrarium largely engineered by the US, do these countries finally become their modern benign selves. And then some guy from Germany (lmbo) is all "you savages spend so much of your GDP on the military!!"

I think this helps emphasize my opinion Americans get really unnecessarily prickly about even mild criticism of their country and it's current/previous actions.

• Locked thread