Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Non-US goons, with all the crazy stuff going on it has me wondering; what do you and your fellow countrymen think of the US? If I were to visit your country, should I mysteriously become a Canadian? What do you like and dislike about the US?

I'd also like to hear about what major factions in your country think about the US (bonus points if you know what the general opinion in Academia is).

Please start your post by noting your country and separate thoughts by faction like so:

A poster posted:

Generic Country goon here. I think the US is a strange place full of trees and so does my family.

Hot dog eaters:

These guys love the US but they think your baseball teams suck.

Hamburger eaters:

These guys hate the US but think your use of the term "soccer" instead of "football" is correct for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Eh, my thoughts were to make it a more useful thread as per the subforum rules. Anyway, a question for Wilco specifically: what are your thoughts on the illegality of home liquor manufacture in most of the rest of the world? Is that a right that people in New Zealand care about much? Or does basically no one care?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

German grandma: "Of all the occupants the Americans treated us best of all. Just think of the "Raisin Bombers". And they're such a nice bunch of people: they even celebrated Thanksgiving in public and sold cooked, salted corn. The Russians on the other hand did not get involved with the Eastern German population at all."

German parents: "Well, there was the Vietnam war, wasn't it? But I know a few American GIs who were stationed here and they're cool people.

Me: "Reintroducing institutionalised torture to the Western world, spying on everyone, strongarming their allies and apparently attaching very little value to a Muslim's life, there is a lot to criticise. And yet somehow the US is still a country associated with positive values, not least to them constantly broadcasting this to others. The US is the empire that wears a smile on its face. With Russia or China we would be off worse."

skit herre posted:

My dad's answer would pretty much be "fat people that love their guns too much". He's a simple man.

Excellent answers- it's really good to see what people with differing levels of international involvement/awareness think. American schools don't teach much at all about other countries which has the unfortunate implication that other countries don't matter (which as you've seen in this thread, some people are only to happy to proclaim). That's part of why I made this thread- I wanted to show that some Americans actually do want to know what other countries think of their country.

• Locked thread