Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

That's because noone outside the UK cares about Thatcher (except Argentinians, possibly), whereas both the domestic and the foreign policy of the US had and continues to have an enormous influence on the rest of the world. You may not know it, but American politics are very important to us and play a large role in the daily news (indeed I've had Americans tell me that the average German is supposedly better informed about American politics than the average American, though I can't really believe that), and when Washington does something it won't take long until we feel the repercussions.

Also there's the divergence between official US rhetoric (shining city on the hill, land of the free, home of the brave, defender of liberty, protector of the West etc) and what actually happens, which is probably why anti-Americanism didn't really take off before Vietnam. No Brit will be grilled about politics because a) they aren't very important to those outside of the UK (though that might have changed now with Brexit and a possible Scottish independence) and b) British politics and media don't continuously remind us that everything that is cool and good and full of freedoms is actually British. Which is something Hollywood totally does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Nobody said that this attitude was fair, it just is :shrug: as a German I would also expect to get an earful about German politics when I should visit Greece, for example

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

New England: the most normal Americans. New Yorkers are rude, Boston is full of Irishmen. Lots of snow in the winter

The South: hot, humid, poor, racist

Texas: cowboys, cowboys everywhere

California: surfers and Hollywood stars

The Midwest: incredibly flat. Cultural wasteland, even more so than the rest of the US. It's all (racist?) farmers and red-painted grain silos and endless fields of wheat or corn

Alaska: grizzly bears

Hawaii: aloha, those weird skirts, Magnum PI

e: that's me saying this after consuming American media and news for well over a decade, I'm sure that my grandmother would have a much less “detailed“ set of stereotypes depending on what she gleaned from catching the rare Hollywood flick and reading her morning newspaper

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread