Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011
There are no loving light fixtures on the ceiling.

There is no loving DOOR TO THE KITCHEN.

Every single public bathroom door has a gap of 4cm down the side and like a foot at the bottom.

Been here 6 years and I still can not get the gently caress over this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Earwicker posted:

light fixtures on ceilings are very common all over the US :confused:

I think the question in the OP is about impressions of the country as a whole not one specific building

I've lived in three apartments in Florida and visited multiple houses.

Yes this is not the whole of the USA, just Florida but this lack of ceiling lights and ability to close off your kitchen from children or pets is really strange to me. Especially given I've lived in two other countries (for years) and not having ceiling lights would render your apartment an unlivable space. Not having a kitchen door, I guess is ok in a really small studio apartment but all of ours have been huge.

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Earwicker posted:

uh what? you just buy a lamp or two

in any case, maybe that's a Florida thing but its definitely not an "American thing", almost every apartment I've lived in had ceiling light fixtures, some buildings dont but its not a big deal because lamps exist (or you can just install some ceiling light fixtures yourself if they are so necessary)

They aren't as bright in general than something carefully planned as a feature of the room design and if you want to dissipate light all over the whole of the room you end up either having several annoying lamps taking up wall sockets for, and in the way for your animals to knock over or one big one in the middle of the room for the whole family to knock over I guess.

I want that poo poo out of the way, and I want my pets to not have free access to my kitchen.

As to all the other things I think of the USA besides these relatively trivial things, it's all poo poo that I'm deeply ashamed of my own country for because it's a tiny microcosm of the USA, and it recently did something way more embarrassing than Trump. So it's not something I can even state as a difference.

• Locked thread