Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Hey, I just wanted to step in for the US and say that there's usually a huge difference between United States politics and the people of the United States.
A lot of citizens are not happy with the way our government works, but the reason there's a strong divide is because there is an enormous geographical difference between left and right voters. Segregation is super real here. The more rural the country gets, the more right it votes. Cities, suburbs, and metropolitan areas tend very left, even in places like Texas, but in varying degrees. Blacks who would likely vote left in rural areas are blocked for a lot of reasons, like economic segregation and a total lack of funding or systems in place to encourage education, voting, etc. This means states where voters may actually be majority leftist states may vote extremely conservatively. Minorities came out in droves for Obama in a way that did not happen for the white rear end crackers in the 2016 election. Rural America is now also becoming very poor, and they are baring their teeth. This is something the wealthier democrats didn't even really know about and were not ready for. These people are not doing well economically, and feel threatened by immigrants and poorer people, who may work for lower wages. Trump sounds like a godsend to these people, who aren't satisfied with the Democratic answer of "go to tech school and get a degree in the sciences field" (I'm not making that up). They are in a prime position to be scammed, and they absolutely will be. So I think you've got a bunch of detached, middle class leftists who want people to pay more taxes for a bunch of services for everybody, and I honestly think a lot of these heavily segregated, advantaged (but still poor AF) white dudes do not want to be bottom-rung and are willing to suicide pact to the death lovely legislation so they won't have to pay for their black neighbor's "drugs", or whatever lame racist excuse I hear that day for not being pro universal healthcare. White supremacy is really real in this country, and it's not good. Metropolitan United States is way more integrated racially. You get "pockets" of certain cultures, like chinatown or whatever. After a generation or two, most of them don't even speak their parent's languages. Everything's way better than it was "back home" and I honestly don't think a lot of democrats vote. A surprising number of Asian and Russian immigrants vote conservative, because they come from extremely communist countries, and want to vote far away from that. I think as a population, well integrated, non-racist people are horribly underrepresented, and that's the only reason they're losing. They are very densely located, and do not really leave or spread out. You can make the case against the electoral college, but I won't. I know it's hot-button all over the States, Democrats want the popular vote (meaning they'll win) Republicans want the Electoral College, because they'll win. People dress it up, bluster, talk poo poo, but it comes down to the fact that neither party thinks the other one's got the answer and no one really wants to go along with each other's ideas. It loving sucks, and I think a lot of Americans really feel the same way I do about it.

TL,DR: Political factionalism is tied directly to economics in this country, and all of it is hosed up. Nobody likes each other or what's happening. Everybody thinks everybody else is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread