Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
America gives me the impression of being more contradictory than other places. I've never been to the US, but I know a bunch of Americans and I get a lot of exposure to the culture through media, the internet and of course particularly the forums. Americans seem to truly believe in their exceptionalism, they are often very idealistic and always super individualistic people. They love to talk about success and seem to genuinely want you to be successful and they often show an alarming disregard of failure. Because of this they often tend to think of success as a result of an opportunity-rich society and failure as an individual's mistake. Work and income are valued higher over free time and family than in other countries, which is why Americans spend most of their free time spending money. The amount of working time many Americans experience as normal would be deemed highly exploitative in other places.

I'm aware that this is a comparison between American and European middle-class people, but that's the only experiences I have made so far. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting the US for the first time this year, but I'm also more scared of going there than any other place I've been to yet, especially because of what you hear about paranoid officials and all the special things you need to worry about you wouldn't need to do when travelling to other, even non-EU places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread