Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm Norwegian.

My dad constantly calls the US "the land of hypocrisy" but I can't think of anything else he might have said. My mother has actually been to the US and says people are nice, but clueless about Norway and seemed to think it was a third world country without cars and electrical appliances. She was an au pair, and her host family really didn't like Mexicans and poor people.

My High School English teacher told the class that going to the US was like going back several decades in time in terms of social issues. I think she usually went to the South though. From people who have taken a gap year in the US I've heard of places where men and women aren't supposed to live together unless they're married and that does sound like the 50's.
I remember on September 11 one year my geography teacher brought up the 1973 coup that installed Pinochet happening on that date, and that more people were killed as a result of that than in the 2001 Twin Towers attack.
I don't talk about the US with friends that often, but everyone I know thinks it's completely hosed that Trump is president.

Most of what I could say has been said already. I think of the USA as the most powerful country in the world, but arrogant and internally broken. It's surprising how prevalent Christian Fundementalism is,how much power fundies have over policy, and how just religion's role in politics in general, for example in that you have to pay lip-service to it to become president.
It seems that US workers don't have many rights, that very few have unions, and that many people want things to stay that way. US politics are dirty, corruption is common and corporations have way too much power.
On a positive note, I and most people I've talked to think that Americans are friendly and hospitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

vintagepurple posted:

Is the norwegian Disney World section well-known in Norway? I ask because I've since fallen in love with your country, but I first ever heard of Norway was from this place. It's a small slice of Disney World where all the buildings are done up in this sort of medieval vikingish style.

The staff is norwegian students on visas and there's a restaurant, a museum, and a viking-themed ride with trolls and so-on that ends with a 1980s-era video of norwegians talking about their country, among other things. As far as that kind of crap goes I thought it was pretty well-done and charming, and again the first time I ever heard of Norway when I was 7 or 8.

I think that fake castle in the distance is the "Germany" section. As a kid, Disney World's "France" was the first place I heard a real person besides my family, some student hostess, talk like me rather than in in a québécois accent. It was a fun place.

I don't think most people will have heard of that, I hadn't until now. I knew there were copies of stave churches and other "Little Norway" style stuff in the US though, a lot of Norwegians emigrated back in the day. In general, Norwegians love it when the rest of the world pays attention to and cares about us.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How would the romans view americans?

I feel like they'd be flattered by the capital's architecture.

That would depend on when in Rome's history we're talking about, but they'd probably approve of the US' Republican traditions and impressive military, be shocked that Christianity is the most popular religion, be unimpressed with modern people's physique and ability to defend themselves (or impressed at our excesses?), be horrified that women can vote and hold power, and puzzled that there is no slavery.

Then they'd wonder where the good brothels and dormouse eateries are and become sad at the answer.

• Locked thread