Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A coffee/tea machine where you brew one cup at a time from special pods that you then trow away. One cup = one piece of garbage. It's not even a timesaver vs just microwaving a mug for tea or brewing a single mug's worth of coffee in a regular drip machine. Basically a yuppied-up version of those little hotel room coffee makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Earwicker posted:

no that was the romans

How would the romans view americans?

I feel like they'd be flattered by the capital's architecture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

System Metternich posted:

New England: the most normal Americans. New Yorkers are rude, Boston is full of Irishmen. Lots of snow in the winter

The South: hot, humid, poor, racist

Texas: cowboys, cowboys everywhere

California: surfers and Hollywood stars

The Midwest: incredibly flat. Cultural wasteland, even more so than the rest of the US. It's all (racist?) farmers and red-painted grain silos and endless fields of wheat or corn

Alaska: grizzly bears

Hawaii: aloha, those weird skirts, Magnum PI

e: that's me saying this after consuming American media and news for well over a decade, I'm sure that my grandmother would have a much less “detailed“ set of stereotypes depending on what she gleaned from catching the rare Hollywood flick and reading her morning newspaper

Oh man, never call New Yorkers New Englanders, to either group. Hell, in my experience, if they tell you they're a new yorker you best guess whether they mean the city or upstate, because they will not be pleased if you assume wrong.

Because can confirm, they are rude, both groups.

One big tangible difference I've noticed between the two via traveling there from Ontario is that New England tends to remain fairly wealthy and liberal throughout until you get up into the sticks of NH and Maine, whereas leave the NYC area and New York swings hard conservative and rural. Saw more vocal Trump supporters per capita upstate than in the south. Anecdotally ofc

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

Wait, do Canadians wear shoes in the house, or do they not wear them? Because almost every person I know has a no shoes in the house rule for the most part.

Canadians almost never wear shoes in the house.

I typically never have either, but after living there and then returning to the states, I now get irked when people come over and keep their shoes on. How is that comfortable you cretins?

I imagine regional differences are at the core of this- in most of Canada there's 3-6 months of the year where you're probably wearing some kind of winter boot and walking into the house in them would track in gross mud/snow slurry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kopijeger posted:

This is funny, considering that one stereotype of Americans is that they drive absolutely everywhere and are less likely to be physically active. Also, "naturalistic grandeur" is hardly exclusive to NA. Aside from Iceland, the thinly populated northern countries (primarily Norway, Sweden, Finland and arguably Russia) all have that as an important part of their national identities.

For the benefit of any non-americans reading this who might visit, driving everywhere and natural grandeur are not incompatible! It's worthwhile to drive pretty much any american highway labelled a "scenic byway". All the ones I've been on provide a lot of wonderful small towns and amazing views and vistas, and often have hiking trails at some stops if you want to, you know, get out of your vehicle.

The most memorable one for me was somewhere in northern Colorado. The road got pretty high up in the mountains crossing the continental divide, but there was a trail and a parking lot and I had a subway. So I'm walking uphill on this trail chowing down on my fast-food sandwich lunch and before I know I'm lightheaded and the trees are knee-high. I push on, drunk on footlong, and before I know it I'm at the summit of a 14-thousand foot mountain with Utah visible on one side and Colorado on the other. I loving love hiking and mountains so it was crazy to just stumble my way up top. That trail was directly attached to a smaller highway, no way to find it without driving out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Senor P. posted:

This is not that uncommon in the U.S. for people working in non-exempt jobs. (Construction trades.)

Anything over 40 hours is typically 1.5 rate
Anything over... 60 hours or holidays is.... 2x rate, I think.

Different states also have their own laws, as well as certain cities.

Laffo, unless you're in a lucrative field it's more likely you'll be required to work weekends for standard pay.

• Locked thread