Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tarantula posted:

I don't think Americans take criticism of their country very well, they always seem to have to jump to it's defense no matter the issue especially if it's a foreigner saying something about them. Also in general they seem to lack a good sense of self depreciating humor. Oh yea and the nationalism in even people who call themselves leftist is creepy as gently caress with all the flags and military worship.
I've noticed the opposite online, especially on reddit. Maybe it's because reddit mostly leans liberal but it's common to see Americans bash the crap out of their own country on many things, but say something bad about Germany or France and the European Defense Force comes out of the woodwork. It's most obvious on /r/IWantOut.

skit herre posted:

Exactly what I meant with weirdly defensive.

Imagine that guy from Germany would go on a similar boring tirade every time someone makes a nazi joke about Germany.
This actually happens and lol if you've never seen it. Generally speaking I've noticed that the smaller the country is the more defensive people there seem to be about it.

Bloke posted:

First time in the US 2 months ago, NYC and Philly and was surprised by the lack of morbid obesity. Americans really aren't as fat as I thought.
Yeah it depends on the area. Poor rural areas you see it a lot more, especially in the South. I was a mormon missionary in Alabama for 2 years and people there are enormous. That's what happens with really terrible diets and urban design that's hostile to anything other than driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Scudworth posted:

A physical door? Like bedrooms and bathrooms have?
Where is that standard?
In my apartment in Bavaria there are doors to the kitchen and living room. Basically when you enter the apartment you're in a sizable hallway, and every room attached to it has a door.

Also the blinds in Germany don't screw around. The blinds built into the walls of this apartment seem like they were designed for a zombie apocalypse. It's fantastic and I love it (the blinds that American homes come with are almost always garbage).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm thinking there might be some confusion here since your talking about "built in blinds". What exactly are you talking about?
The mechanism for controlling the blinds goes through the wall, because the blinds are on the outside.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

This sounds like some kind of industrial shutter, which are totally different than blinds and serve a separate purpose.
How does it 'serve a different purpose'? The primary reasons for both are to a) block people from seeing you, and b) block out light. Cheap apartment blinds are fine for the first but usually suck hard at the second.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Question for all you dirty foreigners: how aware are you of regional differences in the US? Like, I kinda know that Europe has certain stereotypes by region, like how Bavarians are a bunch of hillbilly morons or how people from Berlin are jelly donuts, Parisians are assholes, and the English are just godawful all-round, I'm probably off on some of these, but you get the picture.
This one is actually kind of weird now because economically Bavaria is booming big-time, and not due to simple resource extraction like certain conservative states in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Skoll posted:

No, you're completely right. NYC is literally the only reason NY is a blue state. Source : I am a New Yorker.
NYC proper + Long Island represents a majority of the population of New York state anyway, right?

• Locked thread