Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
It's worth noting, since he mentioned the lack of obese folks in NYC and Philly, that Philly is consistently in the running for the fattest large city in the US.

If you're in Center City, or Old City, or some of the gentrified hipper neighborhoods, then you'll see a bunch of great, fit, attractive people. If you venture off into West or North​ Philly, or South Philly you'll notice a fair bit more obese people. The city actually just passed a pretty draconian sugary drinks tax that has caused a fair amount of controversy.

That said, NYC, Philly, and other older east coast cities tend to be far more walkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Cicero posted:

In my apartment in Bavaria there are doors to the kitchen and living room. Basically when you enter the apartment you're in a sizable hallway, and every room attached to it has a door.

Many older (pre-1940s) homes in the US had doors everywhere too. Once central heating and central air started taking off, doors disappeared, and many older homes were retrofitted to remove them.

Like, my house is a pre-1900 farmhouse. There used to be a central hall with doors to the living room, dining room, and kitchen. In the past 100 years though, that's all been removed since...well, it's kind of annoying to have to open a door or keep the swing radius clear. With modern venting there's no real need to close off the kitchen as well.

Cicero posted:

Also the blinds in Germany don't screw around. The blinds built into the walls of this apartment seem like they were designed for a zombie apocalypse. It's fantastic and I love it (the blinds that American homes come with are almost always garbage).

I'm thinking there might be some confusion here since your talking about "built in blinds". What exactly are you talking about? The cheapo blinds that come with most apartments in the US are...well, cheap because people often either remove/replace them with something nicer or the apartment has high turnover and the landlord doesn't want to risk investing in something that can be easily wrecked by an idiot.

If you rent higher end places, you'll see higher end window dressing.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Cicero posted:

The mechanism for controlling the blinds goes through the wall, because the blinds are on the outside.

This sounds like some kind of industrial shutter, which are totally different than blinds and serve a separate purpose.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

I think it's notable that the inventor of the Keurig does not own one, and has publicly expressed his regret at creating the drat things. It makes mediocre everything, is expensive, and wasteful.

It's actually so expensive that even if you bought $20/lb super-snob coffee you'd still probably save enough over Keurig pods to cover a nice grinder and drip machine. You could literally save over the Keurig by buying the best coffee money can buy.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Bourgie part: There is nothing historical there except the indians and no-one cares about them. Even in younger countries like mine we still have like, public toilets older than your settler-colonial state. So anyone with any interest in that will never wanna go there.

Fun anecdote: The early development of the American identity involved differentiating the "historic" grandeur of Europe from the "naturalistic" grandeur of North America. I work in conservation, and I've used this to succesfully communicate with more conservative pro-development folks or the "duck dynasty" sportsman types. The implication being that by neglecting our natural assets, rivers, and wild areas, they risk ruining what's left of the American identity and turning us into pinko-commie Europe. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Earwicker posted:

as do many other European countries, and I don't think the average American - conservative or otherwise - thinks of Europe as being a place lacking in it, places like Italy or Scotland or Switzerland or Croatia are popular tourist destinations for many of us for that reason. but I think that poster's comment is referring more to a 19th century mentality?

Correct, I was talking about the earlier movements that formed American naturalist/conservationist ideals. Hudson River School, Emerson, & Thoreau, etc. Along wjth other ideals about frontier-ism, westward expansion, monumentalism, etc it is (or at least was) much more ingrained in the formation of an "American" identity unique from it's European roots. Here's a decent write up on it from the National Park Service:
https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/runte1/chap1.htm

It's also a differentiation between "natural beauty" and "wilderness". Italy, Switzerland, etc. are certainly beautiful but I wouldn't really call them "wild", at least in any way comparable to 19th century America, or even large swaths of the country today. Northern Scandinavia and central Russia are a different story, but these are sort of on the fringe.

• Locked thread