Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

your friend a dog posted:

Nah its a pretty retarded question. 'What vague, incorrect assumption do people in some tiny nation state with 1/66 of the population have that applies to the equivalent of 50 connected countries that covers roughly as much landmass as europe'. Who gives a gently caress?

No seriously look at this hilarious patriotism, it's right here. Gorilla chest pounding bullshit non-stop.

Even as garbage trolling there is a vocal % who think this poo poo for real and sincerely.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

skit herre posted:

Sorry for my English by the way, it is obviously not my first language.

At the end of a post in perfect English.

your friend a dog posted:

Because his opinion is worthless, and the question posed by the op is too?

Hi welcome to ask/tell, I don't think this is a good place for you?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

fantastic in plastic posted:

I'm an American, so maybe I've been brainwashed by my culture, but this has always seemed like a very strange criticism. Doesn't everyone believe this about their country (or nation, if that's different than their country)?

No, they don't.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Monkey posted:

Why would that stop you? Out of curiosity. Too expensive?

I'm not that poster but the current attitude of myself and many of my friends is revulsion at the idea of going to the states for the next 4 years at least. One of them turned down multiple professional conference invites, telling the organizers that international conferences should not be held in a country currently banning people at random.

I'd find it difficult to travel there and feel good about myself with the political climate. And I used to go there multiple times a year. gently caress that now.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Monkey posted:

This thread had potential, instead its been 3 pages of 'did u no about iran contra?!! Lol the pledge of allegiance, they pray to a flag!!!!!!!! ' and that isn't actually insightful, and rolling your eyes at that level of 'discourse' isn't being defensive, its just a reaction to low effort hypocricy.

I am deeply sorry that the "How do non Americans feel about America?" thread has been a let down for you, an American.

Were you aware you can just not read this very disappointing thread? Your rap sheet indicates this isn't a function you're aware of.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

fantastic in plastic posted:

Is there food in your country which gets branded or marketed as "American"? Are there American-themed restaurants, like how Outback Steakhouse presents itself as "Australian"?

There are two canadian restaurant chains that are novelty American steak houses, Montana's & Lone Star. They are both done up inside and out much like a western theme park, fake log cabin poo poo and employees wearing plaid shirts, mounted animal heads on the walls etc. Montana's interior is very similar to a Cracker Barrel without the store section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana's_BBQ_%26_Bar
https://www.lonestartexasgrill.com/

Food is pretty much the same here except for the southern US stuff, grits aren't served anywhere, biscuits and gravy is unknown. I had never had corn bread until my american aunt made it, it's not like mysterious here it's just not a big thing. I bring corn bread mix from Trader Joes back with me every time I went to the states.

Also an interesting difference due to immigration numbers- I find most chinese food I've had in the USA to be almost inedible garbage compared to what even a small town Chinese place makes here, but the opposite is that there are almost no actual Mexican restaurants here. The Mexican food available in the usa is unlike anything you can get here.
So I guess when i think "American food" i think of southern US stuff and small Mexican joints.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Monkey posted:

I was just curious why citizens of certain countries are held totally and completely accountable for their worst politicians, while citizens of different countries are given a total pass on anything their government does, because that seems pretty crazy to me!

You used China as an example of this when I'm sure you're at least partially aware that China doesn't have freedom or democracy that can be compared to the western world. You can petition and run for office and protest and work against the US government to a wide degree. In China this can still cause you to mysteriously disappear. Not holding citizens accountable to the actions of the Chinese government isn't a double standard when it's a totally different playing field.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Monkey posted:

vvv lol, see? Still salty

I answered a question that you asked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Retro Access posted:

There is no loving DOOR TO THE KITCHEN.

A physical door? Like bedrooms and bathrooms have?
Where is that standard?

• Locked thread