Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Something like the old final fantasy games, phantasy star and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you missed a big sale on all of those last week op

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

try doom, postal 2, and bioshcok infinifte op

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Catberry posted:

Something like the old final fantasy games, phantasy star and so on.

Chrono Trigger

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

try doom, postal 2, and bioshcok infinifte op

This

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can emulate every game released between 1960 and 2006 with a mildly strong computer so go hogwild.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But for stuff on steam the "Trails" series is pretty cool and will take you 9001 hours to finish the series.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Not gonna recommend stuff you can emulate cause you probably already know all about it.

So what's left are primarily western dungeon crawlers, because that's what was mostly being made during the same era as the best JRPGs.

Wizardry 7 is probably the best of these, but if you're a badass you can start a party in Wizardry 6 and export it to the next 2 games. It's a first person gridder or blobber and is my favorite in the series.

In a similar vein you have the somewhat older Eye of the Beholder games if you can tolerate AD&D 2nd Edition rules.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit by Spiderweb Software is a remake of Avernum which is a remake of Exile: Escape from the Pit. The first game in a long series, this is a top-down party based thing with heavily tactical, turn-based combat.

Fallout 1 and 2 are definitely classics and this is about the time period people stopped making big productions along these lines. Fallout 1 has a better story and world but Fallout 2 fixes a lot of bugs and interface problems so I prefer it.

If you want to get really into old PC RPGs try out Ultima 5, 6, or 7. Ultima 7's interface and combat are wildly different from the older ones but it's quite a lot newer than the rest, so it might be easier to actually play.

After having written all this, I am pretty sure you can get all these games on GoG, which you should.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
snes9x

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Crimson Harvest posted:

Not gonna recommend stuff you can emulate cause you probably already know all about it.

So what's left are primarily western dungeon crawlers, because that's what was mostly being made during the same era as the best JRPGs.

Wizardry 7 is probably the best of these, but if you're a badass you can start a party in Wizardry 6 and export it to the next 2 games. It's a first person gridder or blobber and is my favorite in the series.

In a similar vein you have the somewhat older Eye of the Beholder games if you can tolerate AD&D 2nd Edition rules.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit by Spiderweb Software is a remake of Avernum which is a remake of Exile: Escape from the Pit. The first game in a long series, this is a top-down party based thing with heavily tactical, turn-based combat.

Fallout 1 and 2 are definitely classics and this is about the time period people stopped making big productions along these lines. Fallout 1 has a better story and world but Fallout 2 fixes a lot of bugs and interface problems so I prefer it.

If you want to get really into old PC RPGs try out Ultima 5, 6, or 7. Ultima 7's interface and combat are wildly different from the older ones but it's quite a lot newer than the rest, so it might be easier to actually play.

After having written all this, I am pretty sure you can get all these games on GoG, which you should.

Effortposting is in the Zone

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im trying to play ultima vii op and it's real hard

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
like im using exult but the interface is still just so clunky

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
septera mother f'ing core

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
uh.. lufia 2.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Buy and play every RPG maker game on steam

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Effortposting is in the Zone

Not gonna weakpost when I can help out an imp.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Plebian Parasite posted:

Buy and play every RPG maker game on steam

That's just evil. Better to dig up old ones from back when they were all freeware and used sprite rips from SNES games.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

\Ty Should play mu rear end Lmfoa
Fucvk ouyu Mother fuckerdd Yyiou RE AR NUOMYP

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

t HE OFOP
CAN SOMU MY DICK
yOU FUCKIGN asDHOOL
RDKJK,

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

pLAY DISSUAGER fOR TYHE PIC lMFAO yIT X FOR MPEDOPHBILE

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

\dIGARAEAE 2 IS ON PC YU CAN HAVE SEX WITH eDNA LMFAO yIOUR A PIECDSOAILE IF YUOU DO THGAT TGHAOUGH SHES A BABY ;P; DPMNY JABE SEX WOTJ TJE NANU PR YPUR GPOKMG TP G P TP JAO;

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Wormskull posted:

Wormskull posted:

pLAY DISSUAGER fOR TYHE PIC lMFAO yIT X FOR MPEDOPHBILE

Wormskull posted:

t HE OFOP
CAN SOMU MY DICK
yOU FUCKIGN asDHOOL
RDKJK,

Wormskull posted:

\dIGARAEAE 2 IS ON PC YU CAN HAVE SEX WITH eDNA LMFAO yIOUR A PIECDSOAILE IF YUOU DO THGAT TGHAOUGH SHES A BABY ;P; DPMNY JABE SEX WOTJ TJE NANU PR YPUR GPOKMG TP G P TP JAO;

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry5URU-Py2Q

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Dare gave wormskull the brain disease.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

:cheerdoge:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wormskull posted:

QFT.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Help me out imps.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

Love In The Time Of Kahlua

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

Help me out imps.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Thanks for all the tips. I'll be looking through some of these. What I really had in mind was a more recent game but with old style Turn based RPG game play. It certainly doesn't have to look modern.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
tyranny, divinity original sin, eschalon, shadowrun

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Catberry posted:

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be looking through some of these. What I really had in mind was a more recent game but with old style Turn based RPG game play. It certainly doesn't have to look modern.

The Avernum remakes do this. Avernum: Escape from the Pit and Avernum 2: Crystal Souls on Steam/GoG.

Or do you mean menu-centric turn based? Maybe The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? It's not old but definitely oldschool.

One Man Trash posted:

tyranny, divinity original sin, eschalon, shadowrun

HELL FUCKIN YES

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im being trolled by all the wrpg suggestions

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Catberry posted:

catberry ftw

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All of the Spiderweb Software RPGs seem good but I haven't played any of them very far. Anyway I bought like 1000 hours of RPG for $5 so I can't complain

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

How old do you want them? The old goldbox ad&d games are bundled on gog.

You record the rest of this useful forums post as Journal Entry #32.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Lima posted:

How old do you want them? The old goldbox ad&d games are bundled on gog.

You record the rest of this useful forums post as Journal Entry #32.

I was thinking something similar to FF7 or at worst snes era RPG style.

I'm not a retro fan but I do prefer gameplay over graphics. But not to extremes like dwarf fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Catberry posted:

I was thinking something similar to FF7 or at worst snes era RPG style.

I'm not a retro fan but I do prefer gameplay over graphics. But not to extremes like dwarf fortress.

If you want to play an actual FF game every single one except for 12 and 15 are available on PC

• Locked thread