Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Not gonna recommend stuff you can emulate cause you probably already know all about it.

So what's left are primarily western dungeon crawlers, because that's what was mostly being made during the same era as the best JRPGs.

Wizardry 7 is probably the best of these, but if you're a badass you can start a party in Wizardry 6 and export it to the next 2 games. It's a first person gridder or blobber and is my favorite in the series.

In a similar vein you have the somewhat older Eye of the Beholder games if you can tolerate AD&D 2nd Edition rules.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit by Spiderweb Software is a remake of Avernum which is a remake of Exile: Escape from the Pit. The first game in a long series, this is a top-down party based thing with heavily tactical, turn-based combat.

Fallout 1 and 2 are definitely classics and this is about the time period people stopped making big productions along these lines. Fallout 1 has a better story and world but Fallout 2 fixes a lot of bugs and interface problems so I prefer it.

If you want to get really into old PC RPGs try out Ultima 5, 6, or 7. Ultima 7's interface and combat are wildly different from the older ones but it's quite a lot newer than the rest, so it might be easier to actually play.

After having written all this, I am pretty sure you can get all these games on GoG, which you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Effortposting is in the Zone

Not gonna weakpost when I can help out an imp.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Catberry posted:

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be looking through some of these. What I really had in mind was a more recent game but with old style Turn based RPG game play. It certainly doesn't have to look modern.

The Avernum remakes do this. Avernum: Escape from the Pit and Avernum 2: Crystal Souls on Steam/GoG.

Or do you mean menu-centric turn based? Maybe The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky? It's not old but definitely oldschool.

One Man Trash posted:

tyranny, divinity original sin, eschalon, shadowrun

HELL FUCKIN YES

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Plebian Parasite posted:

There was that "I am Setsuna" game that square was trying to sell as the next chrono trigger. I haven't played it and I remember it getting middling reviews, but it might be worth checking out.

I played it, and it's fine. It'll never be an epic classic but perfectly serviceable.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I spent about 14 hours on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

• Locked thread