Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DoggPickle posted:

*They will not re-offend
*They will not "Theoretically" cost more money to house and feed
*They will not be an emotional or financial drain on their friends and family for the next 30 odd years
*They will never injure another prisoner or guard
*You're creating a net gain in the average morality of the population (albeit .0000001%)
*It's less horrifying (to some) than life in prison with no parole
*They will not temp another prisoner or guard into any other illegal action
*They deserve it
*If there is an aggrieved party, they will get revenge/justice, (it's the same to me)
*Assuming that the syst em is impartial and impeccably correct, it is a deterrent for others who might be on the fence about killing their wives/pregnant girlfriends etc.

Nobody can or can't prove the actual deterrent effect because we've never had a system that is clearly impartial and correct, but if you're talking purely theory, those are my reasons why execution is useful. Some are undeniable truths, some are clearly impossible to prove at this or maybe any time, and some are matters of personal ethics and morality. This is just PURE thought experiment.

Those reasons suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

mcmagic posted:

Those reasons suck.

Or they're good reasons to extend the death penalty to every crime. People sure wouldn't jaywalk lol!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zesty Mordant posted:

Even if, hypothetically, a criminal's 100% guilt could be ascertained, what would be gained by executing this person?

Justice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In that case you really should come up with more painful execution methods so you can squeeze even more justice out of every execution and then you've got some spare in case you need some for other crimes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoggPickle posted:

*It's less horrifying (to some) than life in prison with no parole

This. I cannot imagine how we ever got to a point where it's ok to put someone in a cage for 20+ years.

I'm no historian, but was that common (other than for nobles) at any time in history?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Well, you wouldn't necessarily stick 'em in a cage, you'd chuck 'em in the oubliette or have them branded or castrated or sawn in half. Or you'd keep them in bondage to you as a slave for the rest of their natural, and perhaps their children after them too. Lifelong incarceration is a constant throughout the history of human civilisation and in some accounts of human society the prison itself is the model from which all societies are necessarily constructed.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

spacetoaster posted:

This. I cannot imagine how we ever got to a point where it's ok to put someone in a cage for 20+ years.

I'm no historian, but was that common (other than for nobles) at any time in history?

We stopped executing them I think.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

spacetoaster posted:

Prison was first envisioned as a more humane alternative to other, more physically-oriented punishments ranging from public humiliation to flogging to lethal torture.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Corporal / humiliation based punishments seem almost like a humane alternative to imprisonment.

Is there some kind of pain-zapper that doesnt risk giving people heart attacks?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know what might be even more humane, get this, it's this radical idea, not torturing people. Amazing right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

You know what might be even more humane, get this, it's this radical idea, not torturing people. Amazing right.

But then how would we get enough ~justice~

If we do not extract enough suffering from the sinners, the great karmic scale will become unbalanced and the fabric of reality will unravel.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Are we defining justice here as that funny feeling I get in my pants whenever I see other people suffering?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Arkansas is holding Death-a-Palooza in April!

quote:

Eight inmates are to be executed over the next 10 days in the state of Arkansas. The pace of executions, which is unprecedented in recent U.S. history, has been brought about by the looming expiration date of the drug the state uses for lethal injections.

The last execution carried out by the state of Arkansas was 12 years ago, in 2005.

The eight men­ — Bruce Earl Ward, Don William Davis, Ledelle Lee, Jack Harold Jones, Stacey Eugene Johnson, Marcel W. Williams, Kenneth D. Williams and James F. McGehee — have been convicted for murders that were committed during 1989 and 1999, according to the New York Times.

The executions would take place between April 17 and 27 — just days before Arkansas’ supply of the lethal injection drug expires.

Gov. Asa Hutchinson, a Republican and former federal prosecutor, reportedly said Friday that the reason for the executions to be held so closely together was to do with the scarcity of the drug.

“It is uncertain as to whether another drug can be obtained… and the families of the victims do not need to live with continued uncertainty after decades of review,” Hutchinson said.

However, human rights and civil liberties organisations condemned the planned executions.

"The Arkansas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (ACADP) is outraged by ... plans to carry out eight executions within the span of ten days in April…this planned mass execution is grotesque and unprecedented," the organization said, according to CNN.

Meanwhile, lawyers of the death row inmates are attempting to appeal against the planned executions on both ethical and technical grounds. They argue that the drug Midazolam, given to knock the inmate unconscious before he/she is given two more drugs (pancuronium bromide and potassium chloride) to paralyze and terminate them, does not guarantee a painless death. They are also seeking clarification on whether or not Arkansas' temporary ban on executions passed by Supreme Court in 2012 is still valid.

"Unless the prisoner is unconscious, then drugs two and three will cause pain — torturous punishment, in violation of the Eighth Amendment, and state guarantees against cruel and unusual punishment," Jeffrey Rosenzweig, an attorney for three of the inmates, said, while citing "botched executions" in several states that also involved Midazolam.

The last couple paragraphs also lead into another question I've had about the death penalty: Is the current cocktail of drugs really the most effective method of killing people? Why not just load them with enough Fentanyl to stop a rhino? Obviously the current cocktail (or cocktails, I guess, since there are different ones in different places) is not perfect since it can and does cause pain during the process, which is what the midazolam is supposedly used to stop.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Those drug cocktails are pretty barbaric.

Massive opiate/barbiturate overdose is probably the most humane. Maybe combine it with nitrogen asphyxiation.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

hakimashou posted:

Those drug cocktails are pretty barbaric.

Massive opiate/barbiturate overdose is probably the most humane. Maybe combine it with nitrogen asphyxiation.

I mean, the most humane is not killing people at all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

stone cold posted:

I mean, the most humane is not killing people at all.

well the most humane is full communism now but baby steps means that maybe the person we kill have one brief moment of solace before their death

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

well the most humane is full communism now but baby steps means that maybe the person we kill have one brief moment of solace before their death

......or we could not have the state kill people?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If we want True Justice we must kill murderers the same way they killed their victims. It's the only way to get my rocks offbe fair.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

stone cold posted:

......or we could not have the state kill people?

No poo poo dummy, but since short of Anthony Kennedy and John Roberts coming to the light and going against their entire judicial history and deciding that the death penalty is, in fact, unconstitutional or every single AG in the country waking up and deciding they're gonna stop being shitheads, that's not gonna happen any time soon.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

No poo poo dummy, but since short of Anthony Kennedy and John Roberts coming to the light and going against their entire judicial history and deciding that the death penalty is, in fact, unconstitutional or every single AG in the country waking up and deciding they're gonna stop being shitheads, that's not gonna happen any time soon.

So ,if you're gonna be all nihilist about it, what's the point of this thread?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

stone cold posted:

So ,if you're gonna be all nihilist about it, what's the point of this thread?

Well, with Republicans infesting an even greater portion of our government, national, state and local, they're attempting blatant grabs of power that include further use of the death penalty that strikes me as grotesque, while the public opinion slowly trends away from it.

There are two separate things going on: whether or not the death penalty is good, and how it's actually being applied in this country. the particular cocktail that's in use straddles both of those lines, but it's a far more likely change to happen in the near term than complete destruction of the death penalty (which should be the end goal).

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

The last couple paragraphs also lead into another question I've had about the death penalty: Is the current cocktail of drugs really the most effective method of killing people? Why not just load them with enough Fentanyl to stop a rhino? Obviously the current cocktail (or cocktails, I guess, since there are different ones in different places) is not perfect since it can and does cause pain during the process, which is what the midazolam is supposedly used to stop.

The point of the current process is to put a veneer of civility over the entire affair. Its completely for the onlooker's benefit, an attempt to make it seem sterile and modern and clinical. Its not the fastest, cheapest, or easiest method of execution. It certainly isn't merciful. It exists only to cripple empathy for the condemned and distance the experience of viewing a cold blooded homicide from an emotional impact.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The guardian has an article about the effect it will have on the executioners.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/29/arkansas-executioners-mental-health-allen-ault

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

TBH I don't think full communism has ever lead to fewer people being executed.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

sinky posted:

The guardian has an article about the effect it will have on the executioners.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/29/arkansas-executioners-mental-health-allen-ault

Maybe they shouldn't kill people if they don't want to deal with the effects that killing people can have

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Booourns posted:

Maybe they shouldn't kill people if they don't want to deal with the effects that killing people can have

How the gently caress is getting paid to kill people morally acceptable anyhow?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

I mean, the army exists.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

IIRC, that idea was floated, and European suppliers threatened to cut off supplies of certain narcotic painkillers to the U.S. if we started using them for executions, in order to prevent diversion by states. The collective freak out medical profession had over that prospect was enough to put the kibosh on the idea.

The current cocktail of drugs is the result of death penalty prohibitionists attempting to strangle supplies of execution drugs while simultaneously working to get each individual execution method a state adopts ruled inhumane.

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah, how are insurance adjusters allowed to exist anyway?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Orange Devil posted:

Why wouldn't it be? You know about war and soldiers don't you?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, the army exists.

At least nominally exists to protect people rather than commit wars of aggression.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

At least nominally exists to protect people rather than commit wars of aggression.

I think, to be honest, a lot of people are entirely fine with the army doing wars of aggression.

That doesn't make it right but it does perhaps explain why there is limited public concern about the concept of killing people for money as long as it is draped in sufficiently florid language.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Dead Reckoning posted:

The current cocktail of drugs is the result of death penalty prohibitionists attempting to strangle supplies of execution drugs while simultaneously working to get each individual execution method a state adopts ruled inhumane.

That doesn't fully explain it though when nitrogen gas chambers are possible. Is it a desire to punish the executee harder or do gas chambers conjure Nazi images or both?

Orange Devil posted:

Lots of pro-death penalty people see not executing a murderer as devaluing/not protecting future murders by not deterring. I don't agree with their logic at all but "holy gently caress people get paid to kill people!!!eleven!!" is pretty naive.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Right? Why are we paying for it at all?

Think of how much money we could make if we auctioned off the opportunity to perform an execution.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Right? Why are we paying for it at all?

Think of how much money we could make if we auctioned off the opportunity to perform an execution.

If you leave someone in a cell without food or water long enough they execute themselves and you don't have to pay anyone to do it.

#Lifehack

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Arkansas' DEATH-A-PALOOZA has been canceled because, get this, killing 8 people in 10 days because your (really risky, potentially inhumane and/or ill-gotten) murder drugs are about to expire flies in the face of the 8th amendment and human decency.

quote:

When Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson announced that the state would execute eight death row inmates between April 17 and April 27 — an unprecedented rush — it was because Arkansas’ supply of midazolam expires at the end of the month. The state did not think it could procure more, since most manufacturers have started refusing to allow their drugs to be used in executions.

Arkansas planned to use a cocktail of three drugs in the executions. The first drug, midazolam, is used to make the person unconscious. Vercuronium bromide is then administered to immobilize the patient. The third drug, potassium chloride, kills the person.

Midazolam has failed to work properly in several recent executions, including those of Dennis McGuire in Ohio, Clayton Lockett in Oklahoma and Joseph Wood in Arizona in 2014, and Ronald Smith in Alabama in 2016 who all regained some level of consciousness after the drug was administered.

The federal stay technically applies to nine prisoners, although two were granted stays by other judges, and the state hasn’t scheduled the execution of another.

The Arkansas Supreme Court issued a stay of execution for 60-year-old Bruce Ward on Friday, who was scheduled to be executed Monday after 27 years on death row. Though the court did not give a reason, Ward’s attorney had argued he was not mentally competent enough to be executed.

Another inmate, Jason McGehee, was given a stay of execution in early April by a federal judge after the Arkansas Parole Board voted to recommend him for clemency to the governor.

Harvard University’s Fair Punishment Project found that many of the men, including Ward and McGehee, suffer from mental illness and intellectual disability.

The federal ruling comes after Pulaski County Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen issued a restraining order late Friday night stopping the state from using the vercuronium bromide it had planned to use in executions starting Monday. The drug’s manufacturer, McKesson Medical-Surgical, Inc., had filed a complaint alleging that Arkansas deceived the company into handing over the the paralytic drug which McKesson believed would be used for health purposes, not to assist in executions.

Baker’s and Griffen’s orders are good news to the hundreds of people who gathered Friday in Little Rock, Arkansas, at the state capitol to protest the executions. The vocal opposition included an online petition signed by more than 150,000 people, as well as letters from exonerated death row inmates, former corrections officers, and drug manufacturers urging Gov. Hutchinson to halt the execution spree.

Arkansas hasn’t executed anyone in 12 years due to legal challenges and difficulty securing the drugs — a nationwide issue as more drug manufacturers have established policies preventing departments of correction from using their products in executions. On Thursday, two other pharmaceutical companies filed an amicus brief in the federal court case, asking the court to prohibit Arkansas from using their drugs in next week’s executions.

“The Manufacturers recently learned of information suggesting that medicines they manufactured might be used in lethal injections in Arkansas,” the brief says. “The use of their medicines for lethal injections violates contractual supply-chain controls that the Manufacturers have implemented.”

West-Ward Pharmaceuticals was concerned that their midazolam would be used, and Fresenius Kabi was concerned that their potassium chloride would be used. Both companies told VICE News they have been trying to get answers from the Arkansas Department of Corrections for months about the brands of the drugs they plan to use.

“We communicated with them multiple times in 2016 with letters sent to multiple people in the state government including the governor,” said Fresenius Kabi spokesman Matt Kuhn. “We’ve never received a response.”

Jerry Givens, a former executioner in Virginia who executed 62 people from 1982 to 1999, is part of a group of former corrections staff who sent a letter to Gov. Hutchinson urging him not to go through with the plan. He was concerned about the well-being of the corrections officers.

“This type of medicine hasn’t been successful,” he said. “It takes a lot out of a person to take the life of another person. They haven’t done an execution in 12 years; the staff is not ready for this.”

The state is likely to appeal Judge Baker’s federal ruling, and the Arkansas judge set a hearing for 9 a.m. Saturday for the state to contest Griffen’s order.

This story is developing; check back for more updates.

So, lets go through the "terrible ideas checklist" to make sure this is, in fact, a terrible idea:

1. Arkansas, a state that has not executed anyone in 12 years, is about to execute 8 people in 10 days.
2. They did not execute people because they did not have the means, so to fix that problem, they just lied (lies of omission are still lies motherfuckers) to the manufacturers, who are now pissed that their drugs are going to be used to kill people.
3. multiple people set to be executed have mental disabilities.
4. the only reason they're set to happen so quickly is because the drugs are set to expire and god forbid these people just remain on death row where they will be doing no harm to anyone that they are not already doing with their mere existence on this earth

10/10 terrible idea way to go Arkansas you're really living up to the last 75% of your name

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Has anyone suggested this yet:

Have everyone register as either pro- or anti-death penalty. If someone who is pro-death penalty commits a crime, execute them (you'd have to hire some other ProD to do this). Anti-death penalty people can get a jail sentence at most. This way pro-death penalty people get their way more than anti-death penalty people which is obviously not fair but a lot more fair than the current situation.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

That doesn't fully explain it though when nitrogen gas chambers are possible. Is it a desire to punish the executee harder or do gas chambers conjure Nazi images or both?
Don't know. I'd guess the bad optics of gas chambers are part of it, but I'd also guess that states prefer to stick with methods that have previously survived court challenges rather than get fancy and introduce new methods that are likely to be litigated for years.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Has anyone suggested this yet:

Have everyone register as either pro- or anti-death penalty. If someone who is pro-death penalty commits a crime, execute them (you'd have to hire some other ProD to do this). Anti-death penalty people can get a jail sentence at most. This way pro-death penalty people get their way more than anti-death penalty people which is obviously not fair but a lot more fair than the current situation.
But what if a pro-D rapes and murders and anti-D, or vice versa?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Then they get the D. :anime:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

But what if a pro-D rapes and murders and anti-D, or vice versa?

What part of this was not explained in my post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/20/arkansas-fights-to-execute-two-men-without-testing-dna-evidence-that-could-exonerate-them/

From the Drumpf thread

• Locked thread