Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

VitalSigns posted:

The people who don't agree with haki's defense of the death penalty are irrelevant because they already don't agree with him. The argument obviously is only relevant to people who agree with him.
Sure, I'm just saying we don't know what that number is, so claiming that an unknown number of people that X is obviously smaller than an unknown number of people that Y is dumb. Maybe there are less Xers than Yers, but it's not obvious at all.

quote:

As for the risk that I will convince some people to be okay with retributive rape: some people already do and arguments for this exist already. The number of hypothetical people who like the death penalty and are so close to saying "hell yeah" to retributive rape that one post from me will tip them over the edge, but who have somehow never and will never encounter a pro-rape-jail argument anywhere else is probably exactly zero because that is an absurd set of circumstances.
I agree it's an absurd set of circumstances, but they're absurd because you created them to be absurd and not at all reflect how human beings act. Why do you only care if your post pushes people over the edge instead of just being one post in a series of discussion about rape punishments for rapists that normalizes the idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The logical conclusion of what you're saying then is we should never examine the negative implications of anything for fear that someone might decide they like them.

This does not seem reasonable or prudent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hakimashou posted:

I really dont know, never thought about it.

Why do you think it would be immoral?

I mean, past a certain point you can basically just argue "morality is entirely subjective, the universe doesn't care about human suffering" but that isn't really a useful guiding principle for human societies. That's why "what are the practical impacts of doing this" is an important question to ask (and in the case of punishments like execution or other cruel/unusual things, arguably the biggest downside is the fact that the justice system is fallible and any existing punishment will inevitably be levied against the innocent).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

VitalSigns posted:

The logical conclusion of what you're saying then is we should never examine the negative implications of anything for fear that someone might decide they like them.

This does not seem reasonable or prudent.
No, I'm saying you need to actually explain why what you are examining is a negative implication. "Your philosophy suggests the state could morally rape rapists" is just a true fact, it's not an argument. You're hoping that emotion is going to override reason, and instead of doubling down on a consistent position they will randomly hop to a new position, but you haven't done any work to show why a moral system where the state can rape rapists is bad, or where the right place to jump is, assuming you succeed.

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, past a certain point you can basically just argue "morality is entirely subjective, the universe doesn't care about human suffering" but that isn't really a useful guiding principle for human societies. That's why "what are the practical impacts of doing this" is an important question to ask (and in the case of punishments like execution or other cruel/unusual things, arguably the biggest downside is the fact that the justice system is fallible and any existing punishment will inevitably be levied against the innocent).
Presupposing consequentialism seems rude. I agree consequentialism is great, but a lot of people don't.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There is no accurate measure of human suffering, and we can't truly see inside anyone else's head anyway, so its complicated and difficult, and perhaps even impossible, to assign exactly equal suffering to a perpetrator as to his victim.

But in the special case of murder, this becomes moot, since the victim is dead, and executing the perpetrator will make him exactly equally dead. Its one instance where its very easy to tailor the punishment to fit the crime with absolute certain equivalence and perfect symmetry.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

eye for an eye makes everybody's faces perfectly symmetrical

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

hakimashou posted:

There is no accurate measure of human suffering, and we can't truly see inside anyone else's head anyway, so its complicated and difficult, and perhaps even impossible, to assign exactly equal suffering to a perpetrator as to his victim.

But in the special case of murder, this becomes moot, since the victim is dead, and executing the perpetrator will make him exactly equally dead. Its one instance where its very easy to tailor the punishment to fit the crime with absolute certain equivalence and perfect symmetry.

Lots of crimes other than murder leave behind a dead victim. Is Involuntary manslaughter also a capital offense? What about negligent homicide? How does this apply if a killer is coerced, misled, or mentally incompetent? How far removed from the corpse can a person be for execution to apply - should every wartime US commander in chief be executed?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tin can made man posted:

Lots of crimes other than murder leave behind a dead victim. Is Involuntary manslaughter also a capital offense? What about negligent homicide? How does this apply if a killer is coerced, misled, or mentally incompetent? How far removed from the corpse can a person be for execution to apply - should every wartime US commander in chief be executed?

The justice system seems to do a pretty good job of differentiating between different degrees of culpability in murder cases. Its certainly something people have thought and written about a lot.

A few pages back I gave a spitball list of examples where I think the maximum degree of culpability holds.

quote:

I think we can agree that for the question of whether or not it is moral to execute people who are guilty of murder, we can use "guilty" to mean something along the lines of "fully culpable, responsible, and deserving of punishment."

There are plenty of examples you can think of that fit the bill.

A criminal kills a witness so he cannot testify.
Somone kills someone else to gain payment of life insurance.
Someone's family member is killed to force them to divulge a secret.
A victim of a kidnapping is killed when no ransom is paid.
A person is killed to terrorize other people of the same skin color, religion, or sexual orientation.

In these examples, the perpetrator is surely fully responsible and morally culpable for the crime.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
But the victims in those other crimes are equally as dead as the victims in a murder case. By your own logic, a life for a life is the only symmetrical and just punishment in the case of a dead victim. Why is it that some corpses deserve symmetrical justice but other corpses don't? Or, rather, how is it possibly just to attribute a "corpse for a corpse" policy to some corpses, but not others? They're all as exactly dead as the other due to the actions of another party.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tin can made man posted:

To be fair, hakimashou is presumably talking about limiting the death penatly to situations with some much higher burden of proof. The problem in that case lies more with the fallibility of the people administering justice than with the laws themselves.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tin can made man posted:

But the victims in those other crimes are equally as dead as the victims in a murder case. By your own logic, a life for a life is the only symmetrical and just punishment in the case of a dead victim. Why is it that some corpses deserve symmetrical justice but other corpses don't? Or, rather, how is it possibly just to attribute a "corpse for a corpse" policy to some corpses, but not others? They're all equally dead due to the actions of another party.

I don't know if that's my logic unless you just read that one post.

My (Kant's) actual logic goes something like:

A person who chooses commit murder also chooses to die at the hands of an executioner. The justification for doing it is that we have an obligation to treat the killer as an equal, a human being, with human dignity, and the right to make choices about his own life and have them be respected.

One of the most difficult Kantian positions is that we owe punishment to the perpetrator and act wrongly, by him, if we don't impose it.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 4, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, hakimashou is presumably talking about limiting the death penatly to situations with some much higher burden of proof. The problem in that case lies more with the fallibility of the people administering justice than with the laws themselves.

No, limiting it to cases where the perpetrator is not just factually guilty of causing death by action or inaction, but morally culpable as well, since he made the deliberate choice to kill the victim.

Spilling your coffee on your lap in the car and running someone over, or shooting a gun off in the air and the bullet landing on someone, or some other lapse in judgement, or even just driving down the road and having someone dive out in front of your car aren't all the same, and aren't the same as the examples.

When a perpetrator chooses to commit a murder for a reason, especially to obtain some benefit for himself, or do some other malicious harm, those are the clear cut cases of moral guilt.

If we have to treat people as ends in themselves, rather than as means to some other end, then the most egregious crime is killing someone to advance selfish ends.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

what if the victim is resurrected using the dragon balls, do you still execute the murderer

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Calibanibal posted:

what if the victim is resurrected using the dragon balls, do you still execute the murderer

Actually a very good question. Also applies to attempted murder.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

hakimashou posted:

When a perpetrator chooses to commit a murder for a reason, especially to obtain some benefit for himself, or do some other malicious harm, those are the clear cut cases of moral guilt.

So all murders done in the name of political change, wartime progress, or self-preservation should also be punishable by death?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

tin can made man posted:

So all murders done in the name of political change, wartime progress, or self-preservation should also be punishable by death?

Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. It's very complicated.

As for self-defense, most people agree that there is a right to defend yourself from harm or death.

Taking that right away from criminals is one way that we punish them. Remember, all punishment involves depriving someone of his rights. Whether we are justified in doing so or not is what makes the punishment just or unjust.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hakimashou posted:

A person who chooses commit murder also chooses to die at the hands of an executioner. The justification for doing it is that we have an obligation to treat the killer as an equal, a human being, with human dignity, and the right to make choices about his own life and have them be respected.

One of the most difficult Kantian positions is that we owe punishment to the perpetrator and act wrongly, by him, if we don't impose it.

This logic doesn't explain why you're suddenly limiting it to murder. Why is a rapist not choosing to be raped (forever?) when he chooses to rape someone? You've said that doing X to someone means you want X done to you, so why not punish rapists with a lifetime of state administered morally obligatory raping by eager volunteers?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Hey guys have you heard of Immanuel Kant? No no not the groundbreaking metaphysics, his whacked out anti-consequentialism. Yes I am an undergraduate philosophy major why do you ask?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

No, I'm saying you need to actually explain why what you are examining is a negative implication. "Your philosophy suggests the state could morally rape rapists" is just a true fact, it's not an argument. You're hoping that emotion is going to override reason, and instead of doubling down on a consistent position they will randomly hop to a new position, but you haven't done any work to show why a moral system where the state can rape rapists is bad, or where the right place to jump is, assuming you succeed.

People aren't logical-consistency machines. A lot of the time we absorb values from our culture like "executions are good" or "intentional cruelty is bad" and grab at rationalizations to support them. We might have thought a particular one through until we apply them consistently everywhere or, like hakimashou, "never really thought about it."

If I probe at these rationalizations where they conflict with someone's other values, yeah a person might double down and go full eye-for-an-eye the state should be tortured and raping and maiming. Or he might resolve the conflict some other way, for example with special pleading as hakimashou is doing now. And now I can say that "doing X to someone forfeits your right not to have X done to you" cannot the justification for the death penalty because there's no clear reason why it doesn't apply to other crimes.

twodot posted:

Presupposing consequentialism seems rude. I agree consequentialism is great, but a lot of people don't.

Almost everyone is consequentialist to some degree; very few of us are willing to go all the way with Kant and agree that lying to the SS when they ask if there are any Jews in your house is the wrong thing to do. For those few who do I can't objectively prove they're wrong (ditto solipsists, or nihilists, etc) but it may help bystanders who haven't thought a particular anti-consequentialist argument all the way through to reject some of its more facially agreeable conclusions like "the death penalty is good", even if my debate opponent does go full-on "turn over those Jews, you don't want to be a liar."

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 4, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

You could apply it to literally any punishment/crime combination no matter how cruel and unusual.

PYF most dignified execution everyone! Mine is the electric chair where people's faces literally melt off. That's quality dignity.

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 4, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If I steal $500 the state should require that I pay no more or less than $500 as punishment, because the punishment must match the crime.

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!

hakimashou posted:

A person who chooses commit murder also chooses to die at the hands of an executioner.

A ridiculous blanket statement regarding the motivations behind the intent of all murderers. Murderers rarely walk into the police station and demand execution.

quote:

The justification for doing it is that we have an obligation to treat the killer as an equal, a human being, with human dignity, and the right to make choices about his own life and have them be respected.

I think you'll find most murderers would choose to never get caught. They would also choose to not be executed. What kind of human dignity is being imposed by executing people against their will?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ytlaya posted:

If I steal $500 the state should require that I pay no more or less than $500 as punishment, because the punishment must match the crime.

500 dollars was lost by the victim, but you also committed a crime against the state/all citizens by stealing at all.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bitterandtwisted posted:

You could apply it to literally any punishment/crime combination no matter how cruel and unusual.

PYF most dignified execution everyone! Mine is the electric chair where people's faces literally melt off. That's quality dignity.

Guillotine is pretty dignified, all kinds of really fancy French people got guillotined.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

T8R posted:

A ridiculous blanket statement regarding the motivations behind the intent of all murderers. Murderers rarely walk into the police station and demand execution.

I think you'll find most murderers would choose to never get caught. They would also choose to not be executed. What kind of human dignity is being imposed by executing people against their will?

You missed it.

The choice to commit murder is also the choice to be executed, they are inseparable and one and the same. The act of committing murder is the act of choosing to be executed.

The very easy solution to the problem is "don't what to get executed? don't commit murder."

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

You missed it.

The choice to commit murder is also the choice to be executed, they are inseparable and one and the same. The act of committing murder is the act of choosing to be executed.

The very easy solution to the problem is "don't what to get executed? don't commit murder."

You could say the same for any crime/punishment combination, no matter how draconian, cruel and pointless.
The choice to commit theft is also the choice to have your hands amputated.
The choice to blaspheme is also the choice to be stoned to death.

etc

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hakimashou posted:

You missed it.

You continue to dodge the question of why this reasoning doesn't apply to other criminal acts: rape, torture, maiming. Lying, even.

hakimashou posted:

Well this could be used to justify any punishment no matter how cruel or excessive. I've seen right-wingers use it to justify executing people for blocking traffic.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bitterandtwisted posted:

You could say the same for any crime/punishment combination, no matter how draconian, cruel and pointless.
The choice to commit theft is also the choice to have your hands amputated.
The choice to blaspheme is also the choice to be stoned to death.

etc

I could probably say that stuff but I don't think I would.

Come to think of it I could say anything!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I could probably say that stuff but I don't think I would.

Come to think of it I could say anything!

Are you going to even attempt to explain why those are different?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bitterandtwisted posted:

Are you going to even attempt to explain why those are different?

They aren't punishments that fit the crimes, like the death penalty for murder is.

And laws against blasphemy are unjust in a way that laws against murder aren't.

Maybe if you cut someone's hands off, and then had your hands cut off in turn or something. Treat others the way you want to be treated, after all.

Hasn't this stuff already been covered?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

They aren't punishments that fit the crimes, like the death penalty for murder is.

Irrelevant (also I disagree)

"can't do the time, don't do the crime" exists to justify extreme punishment, not proportional punishment. Explain in the terms you used ie choice and dignity why chopping off hands is wrong as a punishment for theft

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bitterandtwisted posted:

Irrelevant (also I disagree)

"can't do the time, don't do the crime" exists to justify extreme punishment, not proportional punishment. Explain in the terms you used ie choice and dignity why chopping off hands is wrong as a punishment for theft

Don't get too worked up over that. "Don't want to get executed, don't murder anyone" is just helpful advice, not some fundamental theory of justice. It might or might not exist to justify extreme punishment, but it is itself justified by fair and proportional punishment. Consider it phrased differently, but meaning the same thing: "don't want to receive a fair and just punishment, in proportion to the crime you have done? Don't do the crime." Now any objection based on some other person, somewhere else, using it to justify something different can be set aside.

An excessive or disproportionate punishment is arbitrary, and treating people arbitrarily instead of according to their deserts, based on their choices, means not treating them as an equal with equal dignity.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Don't get too worked up over that. "Don't want to get executed, don't murder anyone" is just helpful advice, not some fundamental theory of justice. It might or might not exist to justify extreme punishment, but it is itself justified by fair and proportional punishment. Consider it phrased differently, but meaning the same thing: "don't want to receive a fair and just punishment, in proportion to the crime you have done? Don't do the crime." Now any objection based on some other person, somewhere else, using it to justify something different can be set aside.

An excessive or disproportionate punishment is arbitrary, and treating people arbitrarily instead of according to their deserts, based on their choices, means not treating them as an equal with equal dignity.

All punishment based on subjective notions of fairness are arbitrary.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

bitterandtwisted posted:

All punishment based on subjective notions of fairness are arbitrary.

That's probably less true when it comes to executing murderers than it is for anything else.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

That's probably less true when it comes to executing murderers than it is for anything else.

Why?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Proportionality seems to be the least subjective notion of fair punishment.

The death penalty for murder is as proportional as you can possibly get. It's truly identical. You don't have to take into account anything about the perpetrator's subjective experience of the punishment, or the victim's subjective experience of the wrong, since they are both identically dead.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 4, 2017

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

Proportionality seems to be the least subjective notion of fair punishment.

The death penalty for murder is as proportional as you can possibly get. It's truly identical. You don't have to into account anything about the perpetrator's subjective experience of the punishment, or the victim's subjective experience of the wrong, since they are both identically dead.

No such thing as "least subjective". It's either subjective or it's not.

Death is the same for both parties, but that's true of manslaughter as well as murder. Why is it disproportionate for negligence deaths?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
See above.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hakimashou posted:

The death penalty for murder is as proportional as you can possibly get. It's truly identical. You don't have to take into account anything about the perpetrator's subjective experience of the punishment, or the victim's subjective experience of the wrong, since they are both identically dead.

That's not even accurate. What if the murderer tortured his victim for days before killing him, should the state do the same?

What if the murderer removed limbs before killing their victim? What if they raped them beforehand? Should these things be done to the murderer as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

hakimashou posted:

See above.

You didn't answer it above.

You said death was proportionate as a punishment because death is the same for both killer and victim.
But death is the same for both regardless of intent or malice.

• Locked thread