Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dead Reckoning posted:

It isn't hypocritical at all. For example, a person might object to a parent locking their child in a room and only letting them out briefly a few times per day to eat, exercise, and use the restroom, while at the same time accepting the right of the state to impose such a penalty on someone duly convicted of murder. Life being sacred isn't an absolute, just a default presumption unless forfeited.

What is even the meaning of the word 'sacred' if it can be forfeited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What percentage of murders do you reckon have a completely obvious guilty party and who would you trust to accurately make that determination?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

Lots of things can happen during a life sentence.

Your sentence could be commuted.

You could get pardoned.

The law could change.

You could find meaning participating in the prison community and come to value your time whether you're released or not.

You could find the love of your prison life.

Prison conditions could improve.

If you're dead, though, that's it.

Lot's of things can happen during a life sentence.

You could be subject to the daily torture that is the US prison system.

If you're dead, though, that's it.

What I'm saying is anyone who has ever served on a US jury and known even the slightest bit about what US prison is actually like but returned a guilty verdict anyway is immoral. I don't care what the crime was or how guilty the defendant was.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Say that in the future we invent some perfect lie defector and mind reader, some form of advanced brain analyzer.

What is the value of talking about any of this stuff in these kinds of completely abstracted and unreal scenarios?

Should the United States as it exists today have the death penalty? That's the kind of question whose answer actually matters for anything more than words on the internet. It's the kind you can change policy off of, ie. affect actual human beings' lives and actually make the world a better place with. Bullshit hypotheticals are a waste of time and energy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

OK I've changed my mind. I'm now in favour of executing people who make disingenuous and terrible arguments on the internet.

Seriously, through a whole bunch of semantic bullshit you're now trying to define giving money to person B to be something which benefits person A, who is dead. The gently caress is wrong with you?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

twodot posted:

I don't think it's semantic, since I think core mechanic of compensation here is the acknowledgement of an institutional failure, not that we want particular wronged people to specifically have $50k or whatever, since it's fundamentally impossible to truly pay back lost time, broken careers, neglected relationships, whatever abuse they might have endured, and such. But you apparently think its semantic, so what does giving a freed prisoner $50k practically accomplish that giving the heirs of an executed prisoner $50k doesn't?

It accomplishes compensating the person who was unjustly harmed by the state.

Having to type that out makes me feel disgusted. If you aren't trolling, your brain is broken as poo poo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose if you view the concept of justice as existing on aggregate rather than individually, it doesn't make as much difference who gets compensated.

Maybe the state should mete out punishment to random citizens rather than guilty individuals whenever a crime is committed. You know, to serve justice on aggregate.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Are we defining justice here as that funny feeling I get in my pants whenever I see other people suffering?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Booourns posted:

Maybe they shouldn't kill people if they don't want to deal with the effects that killing people can have

How the gently caress is getting paid to kill people morally acceptable anyhow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, the army exists.

At least nominally exists to protect people rather than commit wars of aggression.

• Locked thread