Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not a fan of weregild then, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

It accomplishes compensating the person who was unjustly harmed by the state.

Having to type that out makes me feel disgusted. If you aren't trolling, your brain is broken as poo poo.

I suppose if you view the concept of justice as existing on aggregate rather than individually, it doesn't make as much difference who gets compensated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Maybe the state should mete out punishment to random citizens rather than guilty individuals whenever a crime is committed. You know, to serve justice on aggregate.

I mean as in, the point of it is that the state in this idea is the entity being "punished" in theory by being required to give up its resources and do something theoretically good to make up for the bad thing it did.

Again the idea's similar to weregild so it's not a completely insane one, though I would probably argue it doesn't really work because if you punish the state you punish everyone and why shouldn't the state just give out a load of money anyway if it could?

The idea that generalized restitution can be part of the sentence for a crime is not that weird, it just mostly makes sense when you're dealing with individual people rather than states, which can't really learn the way a person can, and whose sole duty is already, supposedly, to promote as much welfare as possible.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 18, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strictly you could achieve most of those in general by just killing people at random.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DoggPickle posted:

Not really.

You're not generally paying for the food and housing of a random person,
or expecting a random person to commit crimes against others.
Random killings certainly wouldn't influence people not to commit murder.
A random person is not a net drain on their family and friends.
Killing a random person wouldn't increase the morality of the total population, because by definition, they're random and therefore average.
Killing a random person is also not better than the current alternative, letting them be, whereas it is possibly better than life in prison.
And most of all, they don't deserve it.

I don't see how your post makes any sense at all, except shrugging off the "future crimes and bad influence" bit.

Well, people killed at random:

*Will not commit any more crimes.
*Will never require social security
*Will never be an emotional or financial drain on their friends and family.
*Will never injure anyone.
*Stand, presumably, at least a 50% chance of increasing the net morality of the population.
*Is less horrifying (to some) than living in general.
*Will not tempt other people to do illegal things
*Might deserve it
*If they have aggrieved someone they will get revenge/justice.
*Assuming that people are perfectly rational, will deter others from procreating which will help with overpopulation.

So really the only benefits to executing people convicted of crimes over just random people is on a couple of your initial points being somewhat more likely to apply.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well the person being executed under the guise of criminal justice might not have aggrieved someone or deserve it either.

But even if we grant that it's slightly more likely to apply to criminals it doesn't really change the fact that, by the majority of those criteria, killing people in general is actually good. Which also means anyone you would execute for murder is actually good and so you can't execute them. Except you should anyway because it's good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In that case you really should come up with more painful execution methods so you can squeeze even more justice out of every execution and then you've got some spare in case you need some for other crimes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You know what might be even more humane, get this, it's this radical idea, not torturing people. Amazing right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

How the gently caress is getting paid to kill people morally acceptable anyhow?

I mean, the army exists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

At least nominally exists to protect people rather than commit wars of aggression.

I think, to be honest, a lot of people are entirely fine with the army doing wars of aggression.

That doesn't make it right but it does perhaps explain why there is limited public concern about the concept of killing people for money as long as it is draped in sufficiently florid language.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you think executions are good you should go into a lottery to do them yourself, with an axe. On TV.

Let's bring back the headsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the UK is supposed to be moving to fines being a portion of income.

Applying it to the thread topic, how about execution only for the rich?

• Locked thread