Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

buddy here's a thought, nobody should be executed and we shouldn't send people to debtors prison

also the initial fine stojcevski couldn't pay that landed him in jail was $772, but ok, im the monster

i don't understand why you seem to think reform of the justice system is a dumb axe to grind, but according to above posters you also love minority death so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

So what should be done with those who break the law but lack the means to pay the fine?

gee how about not tossing people who don't pay their fines in loving jail for one. checking if they have the means to pay, and if they don't they don't fuckin pay. this isn't hard, it's already being carried out some places for people who break the law by not paying their fines

Dead Reckoning posted:

Have you stopped beating your wife yet, stone cold?

not married, not physically violent but what a stunner that you don't properly dispute your lust for blood

you're a real sack of poo poo

e: for those who don't want to click the link

quote:

On June 1, 2016, the plaintiffs reached a settlement agreement with Benton County. As part of the settlement, Benton County agreed to reforms to protect the rights of poor people charged with nonpayment of court fines and fees. Under the terms of the agreement:

Benton County will not issue warrants over noncompliance with payments toward fines, fees, and costs.
Benton County District Court judges will be required to inquire about a person’s ability to pay at any hearing over alleged non-payment of fines, fees, and costs. People who have not paid will not be punished if it is determined that they lack the financial means to pay.
Individuals will be entitled to court hearings where they can request a reduction in the amount of their outstanding fines, fees, and costs, or a waiver of some or all of those LFOs.
Any person facing a hearing over alleged non-payment of fines, fees, and costs that could lead to incarceration will receive written notice at least 21 days before the hearing.
Benton County public defenders and prosecutors will participate in training on laws and procedures for the constitutional assessment and collection of LFOs.

you can also peep what else is going on here

stone cold fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 25, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

Whoa you can't do that, then more people will choose to be poor so they can break the law with impunity.

The punishment for being poor must be swift and brutal, to incentivize people into choosing not to be poor.

Oh god, you reminded me of a post I think in trump admin thread that was like, look if we only up the minwage to 15 dollars an hour, police brutality will disappear because then poor POCs will be able to afford good lawyers

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm fine with waiving court costs or not collecting a judgement from someone who lacks the ability to pay, but I don't think someone should be allowed to continue to drive recklessly because they lack the means to pay their traffic tickets, or choose to not appear in court indefinitely because they lack the means to pay their fines, which were the examples we were discussing. What do you think we should do to law breakers in those situations? You seem to be avoiding the question.

i know you're not super great at reading dear but if you scroll up you'll see

quote:

On June 1, 2016, the plaintiffs reached a settlement agreement with Benton County. As part of the settlement, Benton County agreed to reforms to protect the rights of poor people charged with nonpayment of court fines and fees. Under the terms of the agreement:

Benton County will not issue warrants over noncompliance with payments toward fines, fees, and costs.
Benton County District Court judges will be required to inquire about a person’s ability to pay at any hearing over alleged non-payment of fines, fees, and costs. People who have not paid will not be punished if it is determined that they lack the financial means to pay.
Individuals will be entitled to court hearings where they can request a reduction in the amount of their outstanding fines, fees, and costs, or a waiver of some or all of those LFOs.
Any person facing a hearing over alleged non-payment of fines, fees, and costs that could lead to incarceration will receive written notice at least 21 days before the hearing.
Benton County public defenders and prosecutors will participate in training on laws and procedures for the constitutional assessment and collection of LFOs.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm sad you didn't get the reference, but I don't feel the need to seriously dispute every frivolous ad hom thrown at me.

aren't you the one who threatened an unarmed person with a lit flare

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

The original article you posted was about driver's license suspensions w/r/t unpaid tickets. So should the state just skip straight to suspending licenses of poor people, while the rich can pay their way out? Same with failures to appear, should the poor just go directly to jail?

if you can't read the actual things that are happening in court decisions i can't help you dear

like if you move your mouse (your computer mouse, not a physical animal mouse, dear) click those links, you can see what's been happening

like, hey, peep this story out of norcal, and use your brain cells real good to figure out how your questions might be relevant

quote:

The plaintiffs argue that though the DMV has the legal authority to suspend the licenses of people who have willfully failed to pay a traffic fine, poverty does not equate to "willfulness." Traffic courts must give people a meaningful opportunity to prove their inability to pay, and if they have not done so, it is illegal for the DMV to carry out the court's request for a license suspension.

The complaint notes that the United States and California Supreme Courts have both recognized that a driver's license is not a luxury, and for many it is essential to their pursuit of livelihood. The ability to drive is often necessary in order to gain and keep employment, care for children or family members, and travel to doctor's appointments.

quote:

Unconstitutional driver's license suspension policies have important implications for California's communities of color. A 2016 report reveals dramatic racial and socioeconomic disparities in driver's license suspensions and arrests related to unpaid traffic fines and fees. Public records from the California Department of Motor Vehicles and U.S. Census data demonstrate that in primarily Black and Latino communities, driver's license suspension rates range as high as five times the state average.

i bolded this one for you sweetheart so you can read it very clear:

quote:

Bay Area Legal Aid

"No one should be forced to choose between keeping their driver's license and putting food on the table for their family. The DMV must stop punishing people for being poor."

— Rebekah Evenson, Director of Litigation and Advocacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

You still aren't answering my question. Is there a "justice in moving violations" thread we can take this to?

Dear, if you can't comprehend, don't take their licenses and if they can't pay they can't pay, reading threads might be a touch too difficult for you. Like, honey, I don't know how I can make this clearer to you.

• Locked thread