Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

I suppose my problem is that you didn't point out how the stupid the idea of absolute certainty of guilt is. They asserted it existed, you asserted it doesn't, neither of you bothered to define their terms or make an effort to show they were right or the other person was wrong. If you're attempting to convince people that think absolute certainty does, sometimes, exist, you are doing a complete poo poo job at it. In this particular case, it turns out you're right, but I have no clue why you would think someone who disagreed with you could read your post and be convinced you're right.

Why do lawyers always post like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Really, when you think about it, the death penalty is just a secular form of human sacrifice.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hakimashou is deliberately mixing up the concept of responsibility and the concept of forethought and intent, calling them all "guilt" in order to play rhetorical tricks.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah my dude killing unrepentant murderers of opportunity is barbaric and obviously wrong, but brainwashing them with my universality egalitarian moral framework is the poo poo.

Death is preferable to being persuaded? Are you sure you want to say this?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

What the hell makes you think I care in the slightest what the guy who killed his wife for money would prefer?

edit: I do like how deftly you pivoted from "indoctrinate" to "persuade" though. That was cool.

Indoctrination doesn't mean brainwashing, either, my guy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Are you retarded?

Your incompetence at linking images is almost as good as you not reading the list of synonyms all the way through before posting it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

OK so you're going to rely on "brainwashing" and "persuading" being the same thing?

That's cool man.

No, I'm saying that "indoctrinate" is a concept that overlaps both of them and you shrieking about how rehabilitative justice is evil is far more telling about your moral failings than it is an ethical argument.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

a) I'm not doing that, I'm asking why anybody should give enough of a poo poo about what the wife-murderer would prefer to want to spend the difference between a .45 to the back of the head and decades of whatever fluffy rehabilitative re-education camp you idiots have in mind

b) the fact that you don't think "rehabilitative justice" is an oxymoron is cute as gently caress.

I was making a point about your preferences, that you believe death is superior to persuasion on a moral level. Which, I see, you actually do believe. One wonders why you're not railing for the reinstitution of corporal punishment, since after all prison only guarantees psychological damage. Surely, from your point of view, it would be better if criminals were guaranteed to be maimed when they came out?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

This implies I think it's preferable to shoot you than convince you not to kill me. Not the case.

I do, however, think instantiating a policy of shooting you if and when you ever decide to kill me would be a powerful persuasion tool.

Prison is literally the most retarded thing you can possibly to do a defector from the social contract if you want them to change their behaviour for the better.

I'm not defending prisons as rehabilitative, you loving idiot, as you should, by all rights, have been able to figure out by reading my post where I said that prisons are injurious and that you should object to them because they're not injurious enough. How did you get through college with that level of reading comprehension? Did you maintain a solid C- average?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Smudgie Buggler posted:

gently caress me you're an angry little man.

I didn't think you were defending prisons as rehabilitative; I was simply rejecting the premise of your idiotic question.

Don't sign your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Given that fines and prison terms are interconvertible for certain offenses, if we are concerned about proportionality, we must in turn be able to pay our way out of any prison term or death sentence, treating a death sentence as equivalent to life in prison and calculating the precise cost from actuarial tables.

• Locked thread