Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Abolish the death penalty so that its opponents have to find something else to pat themselves on the back for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't regard it as some wonderful act of humanity to consign someone to the rest of their life in a present-day American prison.

I remember back when Massaoui was sentenced, M. Discordia was in here saying how inhumane the death penalty is and how its proponents are motivated by revenge. Then the moment the guy was sentenced to prison, he was in here celebrating and saying that that was clearly the harsher option.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 27, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

stone cold posted:

There is no such thing as absolute certainty, is there?

So, in no cases should anybody be executed, sounds good to me.
Many years ago I came across an article in a leftist publication about a death row prisoner whose case had failed appeal. After reading the article, I looked up his appeals ruling. The summary of the prior case history was as follows: This guy escaped from prison and holed up in a house next to a family. The next day the whole family had been killed (with an axe, I think) and there were biological traces of the fugitive all over the crime scene. There was more evidence besides that, but that's what I remember.

This, of course, is not how the article started out. It started out, "so-and-so, an innocent man on death row."

This sort of thing is drat tiresome to see again and again from the leftist anti-DP set. A guy goes rampaging, gets convicted on evidence six ways from Sunday, and the National Lawyers Guild will still say the bastard's pure as the driven snow.

And all of you all who are anti-DP because "killing is always wrong," just wait'll you hear what libertarians have to say about taxes.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

stone cold posted:

e: I made a real bad oopsie, gazpacho bad, bitterandtwisted ok
Actually I'm kinda good. The US penal system, OTOH, is so screwed up that I'm not sure capital punishment is even the worst thing about it. If it's wrong, it is a final wrong and not a grinding one.

I didn't find that article. Best I remember, I found it by way of one of the more prominent Leninst groups.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

stone cold posted:

S'ok, I'm sure it'll turn up one way or another :3:
And so it does (or at least an article about the same case, that starts out like the one I read before):
http://www.nodeathpenalty.org/new_abolitionist/march-2013-issue-58/kevin-cooper-innocent-californias-death-row

It would serve no purpose to have people pick the case apart here -- that's for the courts -- but if you already knew about it I might be interested in your take.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 1, 2017

• Locked thread