Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

hakimashou posted:

Why should they remain alive?

I'd be totally cool with the death penalty if the law also stipulated that if anyone is later proven innocent than the judge, prosecutor and every member of the jury that convicted the innocent person are executed for murder in turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

This is basically the dumbest argument that I've ever read. When people are mean or evil to other people, when they're scary or violent. it's quite obvious, even though it may be difficult to put down in words.

Many American Christians would see abortion doctors as horribly evil people who commit murder for a living, and that perspective is quite obvious to them.

quote:

But absolutely any person who hits another person is a crazy rear end in a top hat and they need some jail.

Absolutely any? You support jail time for people who hit someone in self-defense?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

stone cold posted:

In my derision, I'm fairly certain my dismissal of absolute guilt as a notion was dismissing it as stupid. Hope this helps, and hope you had the matter clarified via the context clues!

You have to use ridiculous hyperbole and sick burns, otherwise how will we know what your position is?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Death Penalty
Pros: ...Literally 0 chance of recidivism upon potential release...

Agree to disagree.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Dude it was a hypothetical. I'm against the death penalty in general but it'd be nice if it was possible as a voluntary thing. What if you went crazy or w/e and got a 50+ year sentence for it? Would you really want to be caged up for the rest of your life? Sounds like torture to me.

So basically we allow prison rape to become widespread, to coerce convicted people who are vulnerable to rape to kill themselves with the death penalty?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

hakimashou posted:

You missed it.

The choice to commit murder is also the choice to be executed, they are inseparable and one and the same. The act of committing murder is the act of choosing to be executed.

The very easy solution to the problem is "don't what to get executed? don't commit murder."

This isn't true through. Sometimes a person chooses to murder, never gets caught, then dies of complications from getting too old. The choice to murder cannot also be the choice to be executed unless their correlation is 100%.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

twodot posted:

Would you be fine if one of your loved ones was executed for a crime which they did commit?

If the answer is no, your example is irrelevant. If the answer is yes, you're a psychopath.

So if someone was the son or daughter of an executed SS officer, and they agreed with the Nuremberg trials, you'd call them a psychopath?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

twodot posted:

I missed the counterargument. You said "Nothing can be done for those who are executed", but I don't see any explanation for how "giving money to their family" isn't a thing that can be done for those who are executed.

That's doing something for the family of the wrongfully executed person, not for the wrongfully executed person. What about people who had a lovely, abusive family whom they wouldn't want collecting benefits from their unjust execution? Or people who simply have no family?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

twodot posted:

It's still doing something for them. Maybe it's not something they like, but I don't see how anyone can declare it's categorically impossible to do something for a dead person.

Again, that's for the family, not for the dead person - dead people can't utilize money. Did you know some people don't have a family (Im asking because you ignored that aspect last time)? If a person who doesn't have a family is wrongfully executed, they're just out of luck, too bad for them?

Phantom Star fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 17, 2017

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

twodot posted:

No, it's for them. If I do a thing, I get to decide who it is for. If there's no one to give money to, we can plant a tree for them.

That's nonsense. If my peace loving, Buddhist monk brother gets killed and I seek revenge, then Im not actually doing it for my brother, Im doing it for myself, despite what I might say or think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

So I think the companion question to "don't punish people for not paying fines they allegedly can't afford" is "how do you enforce order among people you can't fine" and it's a legitimate question that the advocacy groups you're quoting don't have to address but that society does.

If you're too poor to pay a speeding ticket, what prevents you from speeding whenever you want to?

Speeding so much will be bad for their gas milage, and since they are poor they will be unable to afford gas before long. Beyond that, some alternative punishments come to mind - for example you could punish with cumulative increases to capital gains taxes, estate taxes, or take away the speeder's eligibility to be named a CEO.

• Locked thread