Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

Not if that person is guilty of murder.

Murder is wrongfully depriving someone of his right to live.

A murderer has given up his right to live by murdering someone, and so his executioner isn't 'wrongfully depriving him of his right to live.'

No Hakimashou, human rights are inalienable. The fact that someone infringes the human rights of another person does not revoke their inalienable human rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

You have stolen a loaf of bread. You have therefore forfeited your right to personal property and will now live as a penniless vagrant.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

Can I simultaneously be for total prison reform and also still support the death penalty? Everyone should have much shorter sentences. Three strikes is dumb. We need better policies that try to actually reform people instead of treating them like poo poo until they turn into poo poo. That's just obvious. But can we straight-up kill serial killers and child-molesters. Sure

Why

I mean are these people not human? Have they forfeited their human rights somehow?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

stone cold posted:

If you're gonna make a claim like:

You should be able to back it up with evidentiary support, beyond citation of one UK opinion poll. Gimme the data, that's all.

It's obviously false, too, because when you look at France, according to opinion polls, almost two thirds of the population was unfavorable to abolition in 1981, when it was abolished.
(Of course the poll was published in a right-wing newspaper, and I know nothing about its validity, but still).

Interestingly, maybe, support for the death penalty has been rising back up for the last decade or so.

• Locked thread