Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nate RFB posted:

It's always been great, but season 2 has in the last handful episodes come into its own in a way that is almost frightening. It's going to be a real interesting at the end of the year to see whether I pick it or March comes in like a lion for my #1.

I actually preferred season 1, because season 2 doesn't feel as narratively cohesive and enthralling as the first was in terms of the progression of history and the relationships of Young Yakumo and Sukeroku, but season 2 has more standout individual scenes that are just breathtaking in how well they're done. This is definitely going to be my #1 for sure though still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I dislike Yotaro and think he's the worst part of the series, which is probably why I think this season isn't as good, but drat if some moments with the rest of the cast aren't just brilliant.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

The reveal of what really happened when Sukeroku died was one of the most utterly unexpected scenes I've seen in an anime in years.

And the fact that they didn't pound it over your head with a flashback to how it supposedly happened was also good. So well executed. Never thought Deen had it in them to make two consistently good seasons of a great show twice in the same season each year.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The VA for Sukeroku was especially great this episode. It saddens me that (at least according to MAL and Crunchyroll but I don't doubt it) that more people watched the Trinity Seven movie and Gabriel Dropout than Rakugo because this is actually good and those two just aren't. And this is ending next episode. :sadwave:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Explains a lot. Still, I can't believe that something this good has come to an end. It does feel as if they could have done a season for each period they timeskipped through and certain plot threads feel unfinished and under-explored (remember that snotty journalist guy?), but it was still bloody great.

• Locked thread