Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I can't get a pair of 144Htz monitors to display correctly: I've added a pair of BenQ XL2411 monitors to my setup,they're reasonable 144Htz monitors. My PC is a custom box with a EVGA GTX 980 running driver 378.66. The monitors are connected using Display port to DVI-D cables. I can go into the monitor properties and set the secondary monitor to 144Htz, but this will result in the primary monitor either getting no signal or locking at 60Htz. I have tried at 144, 120 and 75Htz and setting this on the primary as a custom profile in the NVidia profile results in the primary going blank Both monitors have the correct windows driver installed

Where am I going wrong with this, it's driving me loving nuts? I'm beginning to think it may be the cable setup.

Attempted fixes: I've been messing around with the Nvidia CP and the windows advanced display settings to get the monitors to stick at 144Htz

Recent changes: Just added the monitors

Operating system: Windows 10 pro(build 1607)

System specs: Custom built, but the main points are :
Intel Core i5 6600K Overclocked and watercooled
Asus Z170M-PLUS Intel Mobo
4GB EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 PCIE
2 x 8gb

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Just solved it...Until now I was unaware of DVI Dual link. Switched in a DVI-DVI dual link cable and I have 144Htz on 1 monitor. The other will need a new cable.

Balls.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
OK, I still have an issue, One monitor is running nicely at 144htz, the second however will not, this is linked using a Display port to DVI-D cable.
My GPU only has one DVI-D output which is being used for the 144Htz monitor. I have a 1 HDMI and 3 Displayport outputs available and the monitor has DVI-D input (and a VGA but that is not happening)
So I need a way to output (probably) display port to DVI-D Dual link and have it come in at 144Htz.

Now from what I can see there are Display port to DVI Dual ling adaptors and cables but it is not clear which will support 144Htz in this set up.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can suggest a cable/adaptor that can do this for a reasonable price?

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

SoylentCola posted:

OK, I still have an issue, One monitor is running nicely at 144htz, the second however will not, this is linked using a Display port to DVI-D cable.
My GPU only has one DVI-D output which is being used for the 144Htz monitor. I have a 1 HDMI and 3 Displayport outputs available and the monitor has DVI-D input (and a VGA but that is not happening)
So I need a way to output (probably) display port to DVI-D Dual link and have it come in at 144Htz.

Now from what I can see there are Display port to DVI Dual ling adaptors and cables but it is not clear which will support 144Htz in this set up.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can suggest a cable/adaptor that can do this for a reasonable price?

IIRC this is hit and miss if it will work, but in general you need active adapter. I'd contact BenQ directly and ask them what they recommend. Be aware that some active ones will also eat a USB port and run well over 50 bucks.

• Locked thread