Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just picked it up. Pretty fun so far, but could use a tutorial. I know Don't Starve didn't have one though, so maybe they're going for a similar hardcore approach here as well.

Really liking the graphics and the interface in general. Definitely a step-up from their previous games.

Hopefully we will have multiplayer one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i spent the last three hours planning my base around a pocket of water so that i could build a nice lavatory, but i cant get the stupid thing to work

coal generator (top left) powers the water pump, which is connected to the lavatory intake. that in turn has its outtake connected to a liquid vent under it.

This setup doesn't work though. When I mouse over the lavatory it says "empty pipe."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bleh, never mind. Connected it wrong. That's what I get for playing until 5 am!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Loopoo posted:

you mixed up the input with the output, right?

i connected the green to the green and the white to the white. seemed like the logical thing to do. :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LoboFlex posted:

The game is pretty great, although it's been a few versions since the last time I played, so I haven't tried any of the new stuff.

Building a base for muh aesthetics or managing a spiralling shitshow of dropping moods isn't as engaging as it is in games like rimworld or dwarf fortress, but the game really shines when it comes to building larger systems to keep your colony afloat. Managing clean and polluted water, keeping your base comfortably cool (if you start next to hot biomes) and making sure everyone has enough mostly clean air to breathe involves piping a lot of stuff around, and thinking about things like air pressure, thermal conductivity and the different properties of materials is a lot of fun.

Here's a heavy handed attempt at cooling down boiling water from a geysir, which would be a renewable source of clean water. It didn't really work until the room filled up and the geysir stopped due to being over pressurized though. :shrug:

Here's one way to create a room that can store excess chlorine or co2 by using super-cooled hydrogen to liquidize or freeze all the incoming gases.

There are several other things in the game that warrants equally large projects, and there're a few hidden materials in the debug mode that doesn't show up in the game yet, suggesting that they'll add more things to gently caress around with later.

this hurts my brain

in a good way

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a way to use gravity instead of water pumps to intake water?

For example, if I build a water purifier underneath a body of polluted water and connect them using pipes, will water automatically flow into it, or do I still need a liquid pump?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Loopoo posted:

When you say "we", were you playing it with a friend beside you? Cause AFAIK there's no multiplayer, right?

maybe he means his "friend"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, it would be great if there was a way to find out how much TOTAL water there is in a body of water. Maybe mouse over it while holding Ctrl or something. Highlighting individual tiles is NOT helpful, especially since water behaves somewhat oddly around the surface.

It would also be great if bodies of water could be designated as off-limits to dupes. Having to use airlocks and locking/unlocking them works, but then you have to build the pools a certain way and it doesn't always work well.

Anyway, the game is a lot of fun so far. Survived for 35 days and still going strong. My whole base is powered by two coal generators, which I plan to switch out for natural gas pretty soon. Still haven't found any hydrogen, which is pretty weird. I did find a steam geyser though, which means unlimited water, right? Built a pool around it and started pumping water up to my base, which is good since I no longer have to worry so much about finding/generating enough polluted water to filter.

Tree Bucket posted:

It's a good game. More forgiving than Don't Starve, maybe, but with more to manage.

There's a lot to manage, but I think it's a bit too easy. I'm sure they will add more things later though (natural disasters, creature invasions, etc.).

Anyway, one or two more content patches can turn this game into a great little time-waster for the summer.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You can use Mush Bars virtually forever. Very occasionally they cause diarrhea but it hasn't been a problem for me. I'm on cycle 80.

Chlorine is currently not used for anything.

I don't think there are any resources that are entirely renewable aside from the ones that have geysers. But those should be enough to keep a colony running practically forever.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I didn't realize you could cultivate algae. My main source of it is slime.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think it's still basically the same (I don't know what has been changed since previous versions since I just started playing, but this was the only method I saw). There's a creature that poops slime but they produce way too little to be a reliable source. Maybe at some point they'll add capturing/breeding of various creatures which would make that more viable.

I think how much slime they poop depends on the concentration of polluted oxygen.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes, I would definitely count a thousand tonnes of rock and soil as "chilly surroundings."

Well, it's an asteroid.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I played this game for a few more hours over the weekend, and man... they really need to add more content fast. DS was not this bare-bones when it got released to early access.

As things stand, it is a fun little timekiller, but after having successfully survived past cycle 60, I don't feel any burning desire to start another game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I still don't know what allows water pools to sometimes break through rock.

Pressure.

For example, if you have a really large pool of water and the pool has only one layer of tile at the bottom, it will slowly take damage and eventually break.

Pressure is a bigger concern with geyser pockets. Their pressure tends to be high enough to break through two layers of softer rocks (sand, algae, etc.).

There is no visible formula to this, but it's definitely predictable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Every new colony, I get closer to self sustaining and learning something. Feels like I'm rapidly approaching the edge of content though.

You'll basically be "done" once you build a natural gas generator and hook it up to your ventilation and plumbing system.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I always put my musher right next to water. There is still the dirt requirement though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well, that and water geysers for infinite water.

Right.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can produce oxygen without algae though, and if you're careful with using it, you can make what algae there is last a really long time. The main thing to be aware of is that deoxydizers use a up algae a hell of a lot faster than terrariums (500g/s vs. 33g/s). So although they produce oxygen more quickly, you shouldn't really rely on them as your primary source. Terrariums use up a lot of water, but water is renewable so that's not as big a deal.

Keep in mind however that you need a hell of a lot more terrariums to generate the same amount of oxygen.

In addition, they are a lot more location-sensitive. You need to place them at the bottom of your base, since that's where carbon dioxide sinks to.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They will produce oxygen without CO2, though. Eating CO2 is just a nice bonus thing they do. It does still make the most sense to put them at the bottom of your base for that reason, though.

CO2 is a necessary input. If they produce O2 without CO2, that's a bug. Photosynthesis doesn't work without CO2!

Keep in mind that partial inputs will result in partial outputs. Sometimes a generator/device can look like it is working, but it's actual output is less than the maximum. That might be the case with terrariums.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope the next content patch hits soon.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

As far as I can tell, you can remain on a muck bar diet forever. The other foods don't have any appreciable advantages, considering the trouble they are worth (esp. with farming and stuff, which requires an entire subsystem).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, the content patch better come out this week. 2 months is way too long for early access content updates.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

Its coming out in a month.

Crazy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You actually need a Ph.D. in Physics to play this game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The biggest issue right now is there are no external threats. No monster attacks, no natural disasters, no fires caused by short-circuiting wires, nothin'. So you can casually build stuff and as long as you get the basics down you're good. Doesn't exactly make for an exciting, challenging game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

That stuff would be quantum shift in gameplay. No more 15 cycle research for one. No more small populations. I like the game as is. I would love it with periodic events to deal with. The cool thing about ONI isn't that you plop down buildings and make stuff. Its in the design of how you layout a base and how you deal with environmental problems. I hope they don't make buildings or mechanics too on/off. There is no one right way to do things and even if there was, each map is unique so you can't do it the same.

My bristle blossom farm. I want to try the reverse of cooling a hot area by heating a cold area. The cool challenge with bb is that you don't get many seeds so you have achieve excellent yields.

Well, Don't Starve lets you turn things on/off in game options when setting up the game. So if they follow a similar approach with ONI, they can add, say, monster attacks, but let you turn them off if you want a more laid back experience.

I'm a fan of games that let you customize as many things as possible.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drat, another 3-4 weeks? That's... pretty bad.

I mean I can understand the desire to balance things further, but the game is on EA for gently caress's sake. Just release it and get feedback from people who actually matter: the players.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

New update stream Aug 3. Outbreak "upgrade" will be released Aug 24th.

Three loving months for a content patch.

:cripes:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dogen posted:

Saw in announcements on the oni discord server the next content packs won’t be so far apart and they’re going to have scheduled releases. I’m looking forward to getting back into it.

This post showed up on Steam:

quote:

Hey Everyone!

This Thursday, we will be launching our next big content update since the Agricultural Upgrade. The “Outbreak Upgrade” introduces a whole host of things, including new buildings, points of interest to discover, revamped farming, quality of life improvements, bug fixes, tweaks, and of course a whole new disease system for your Dupes to enjoy.

We also understand that it’s been quite a while since our last large content update. While we’ve been releasing hotfix updates and giving information on our progress via things like the Rhymes With Play devcast[twitch.tv], we understand that it’s been almost 3 months since the last big content release. The reason for the length of time is because adding a new system like Disease touches every part of the game, and it took us quite a while to balance and fix things as it was introduced. However, we believe that iteration time was too long, and we’ve decided to commit ourselves to a tighter loop.

Some of you may know from Don’t Starve, Don’t Starve Together, and Invisible, Inc. that we often have an Update Timer to inform you when the next big update will be arriving. We’ve decided to implement that for Oxygen Not Included: starting Thursday, the timer will be set to 6 weeks. This gives us enough time to develop good features for a systems-heavy game like ONI, while also providing a concrete time frame for our community.

In the upcoming upgrades, you’ll see us flesh out the content and tech tree, create more variety in the world, add more interaction between the Dupes, and begin filling in the lore of the world.

So yeah, they know they have been sucking, which is good. We'll see if they'll be able to stick to a 6-week release cycle. It's still too long IMO but I'll take it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What's kind of the "flow" or pace of this game? I like base building and survival, but Don't Starve never clicked with me because it felt pretty constant to be on the edge of death and never reaching a safe level. I was constantly running and trying to do stuff.

I kind of like the Factorio or Rimworld pace- you can get to a sort of uneasy equilibrium that can definitely be interrupted by events, but in a vacuum would be stable.

Not sure if that distinction makes sense but I always felt hurried by Don't Starve and am less interested if the developer is going for the same pace or style.

Don't Starve is a roguelike. You die and it's over (with some exceptions). It's meant to be a hardcore game.

ONI is not a roguelike. It's a colony simulator, not unlike, say, SimCity. Sure, you can screw up in a big way, but the game doesn't try to gently caress you over. When things start to go south, you get plenty of time to try to fix the problems before your guys start dying. There are threats but they aren't fatal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I played the new update and I gotta admit I'm not a big fan. The bottling system feels convoluted and makes water management more difficult. Specifically, I haven't been able to wrap my mind around why dupes can't suck water directly out of water sources using their magic guns anymore and instead need a bottler/unbottler. The only advantage I've found is that mousing over the water bottler tells you exactly how much water is left in that body of water, which was hard to tell previously.

And the germ system seems to make things more tedious without adding any appreciable level of depth to the game. Maybe that's because there are only a few diseases implemented so far.

I do like the new update timer on the main menu though. Hopefully Klei sticks to it. I might check out the game again in mid-October once they flesh out the new systems and add more content.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Azhais posted:

There have been a few pretty savage reviews of the new expansion on YouTube from longtime proponents of the game

link?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

I don't know how people are avoiding slimelung. It covers my slime biome.

You don't have to avoid it completely. Breathing it is fine, as long as you allow dupes to spend time away from it to regenerate their immune system.

I found the green dots scary at first too, but it's really not a big deal.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

In other news, they still haven't added a mechanism to automatically turn off generators once their connected batteries reach a certain percentage, huh?

It works for the manual generator, but every other generator keeps chugging even after their batteries become full, which is super annoying as it wastes valuable fuel.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, apparently Klei has limited the total number of geysers per map to 5 in the new update.

For each map, you get 2 steam geysers, 2 natural gas geysers and 1 chlorine geyser.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, it took me 39 cycles to find my first steam geyser, and it's in the middle of a bunch of chlorine pockets.

I think I'm gonna start a new game...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My primary water supply keeps getting contaminated. After close examination, I realized that this is caused by water purifiers not filtering out germs. So polluted water becomes regular water, but the germs remain for some reason. I have no idea why. I hope it's a bug because, short of heating up the entire water supply, I don't know how to decontaminate it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That's pretty lame. Feels like another one of those things they added that just makes things more tedious.

edit: yeah, liquid tepidizer requires a whopping 960 W of power. More than a single generator of any kind. gently caress that poo poo. They need to add a way to turn off germs completely because it's pretty awful right now.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OK, someone was asking about slimelung earlier. Here's how it works:

Your dupes inhale the germ if it's in the air. For every 1000 germs they inhale, their immune system gets -1% per cycle. Each dupe has 15%/cycle base immunity gain, so once they inhale 15000 slimelung germs, their immunity starts going down - slowly at first, then fairly quickly.

Once their immunity reaches 0%, they contact the disease. Unlike food poisoning, slimelung requires treatment at a med-bay. If left untreated for 10 cycles, the dupe dies. Once the dupe receives treatment, it takes 4 cycles for them to go back to normal health.

So yeah, it can definitely be avoided, and in fact it's hard to catch it unless your dupes spend extended amounts of time in the slime biome.

One thing to note is that slimelung is not a surface germ, so wash basins don't do anything. Disinfecting stuff also seems quite ineffective. That said, trace amounts of the germ floating around in the base isn't a risk. You just gotta be careful if you go into the slime biome. The Vitals menu is great for that since it lists each dupe's immunity so you can easily see it. If a dupe's immunity starts going down, I use the airlock door controls to deny them access into the slime biome for a while until the germ is out of their system (which happens gradually - no treatment needed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Q8ee posted:

Is there a way to make a proper airlock, that lets a dupe in, cycles the air, and then lets the dupe out? I've noticed over time, the airlock accumulates whatever pathogens from outside, and this slowly leaks into the base every time a dupe uses the airlock.

temple posted:

No direct way. I made a airlock type deal with a closed room and atmo switch. You have to solve that problem.

Actually there is a way. You can build a decontamination chamber filled with chlorine like shown below:

Chlorine kills any germs it comes into contact with (after about a cycle) so any air that occasionally seeps in through the airlock gets decontaminated.

It's not a perfect solution, and kind of unnecessary right now, but might become useful when they add more diseases.