Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Capture it and pump it through a pair of thermoregulators. You can put the regulators on airflow tile, flanked by mesh tile, and drip about 100g/s water over them. The water will keep them cool, and you can use this heated water to feed the electrolysers. In fact, it's in your best interest to send as hot of water as you can into them, since the gas is a fixed output temperature (assuming you've heated the water by using it to cool other devices, like batteries or aquatuners/thermoregulators).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
If it's just temporary, leave it as-is. The water isn't going anywhere.

If it's going to be more permanent, mop the water up first, then tile with Igneous Rock or Obsidian. Don't use sandstone or sedentary rock (they will crumble under the weight), and granite has decor uses instead.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
According to the Klei forums, where people have been doing experiments on it, the tiles will break when the liquid mass above it exceeds a certain threshold. The tiles will begin taking "pressure damage" and eventually shatter, releasing all the water.

Sandstone breaks at 1050kg, igneous rock 1100kg, granite 1150. Water gets +10lbs heavier per tile of water above it, so sandstone can hold 5 deep, igneous rock 10 deep, granite 15.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Temple, you can't think of a use for an infinite heatsink that turns into power?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
How dare they fix all the exploits I was using to supercompress gasses and liquids!

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You're forgetting the ore scrubber, aren't you? Works for the vats of recycled, still-germy "clean" water too.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Use the inverted "T"-shaped CO2 airlocks on either end of a 4-high tiled top & bottom hallway. You don't need water, they will fill with CO2 over time and let dupes pass through without any debuffs and keep gas where it should be. Alternately, build a coal generator near each one for a few cycles and destroy/rebuild elsewhere to fill another one.

Also, run a hamster wheel with a tiny battery to prime the system. You don't need an enormous centralized 8kw power plant (...yet) to do this. Just get a pump running and fill the hallway, then call it done.

Don't be too afraid of the slime biome, just don't spend all your time out there without exosuits. If you're beelining to the ice biomes, just build a tiled tunnel. You can get into there for some harvesting, but keep an eye on the immune system. If you put a pneumatic door at the entrance or exit to the airlock, you can restrict individual dupes who's immune systems are tanking from going into the slime biome. They will recover over time.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Well Akchtchually, the transformers support 4kw on their outputs. you can go from one straight to conductive wire.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Don't underestimate a pitcher pump & bottle emptier set to "autobottle". Dupes can move 200+kg of water at a time.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
How do I tame a hot polluted oxygen geyser, with a cool steam geyser nearby? I haven't found the dormancy cycles for either yet. I do have a natural gas geyser a biome or two away, but that'd be inconvenient to incorporate.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

Wheezeworts are the obvious answer. Be sure your power generating machines are not near your plants. Move away from Algae Deorderizers into electrolyzers, the Algae Deorderizers create heat.

-Ms. Easy Peasy

The algae deoxidizers produce 30C oxygen. The electrolyzers -- 70C. Why are they a better choice for heat management?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They don't use any more algae than deoxidizers, but they produce a ton of polluted water. However, polluted water is fantastic for heat deletion! Use a bottle emptier at the top of a stack of machinery, and let the water zig-zag down the machinery (including thermo regulators...) and pick up a ton of heat. When it pools at the bottom, use a liquid pump to run it through a sieve, and vent the output of the sieve straight onto your terrariums.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Five slicksters starved to death with three coal plants, a petroleum plant, and two natural gas plants all at once. They are beasts.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I'm hoping for a scrubber, gas & liquid. Built from raw metal, has 2 inputs and 1 output. One of the inputs is always chlorine gas, the other is the input passed through to the output, sans germs. Consumes no power, generates 5W heat, consumes 1g chlorine per 1000 germs killed in the stream.

Of course, they'll implement it with 400kg plastic, 480W of power draw, and emit 60W of heat. :(

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It lowers each packet by 14C. A packet is 10kg, and water is 1000kg per tile, more as it gets deeper. So each packet drops a tile of water by 0.14C, which gets averaged out across the pool as well. If you have a very modest 2x5 pool, that's 10 tiles of water, so it will drop about 0.014C per second.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Also, only cool the water you need to. If you can get the steam to condense, stick a pitcher pump in it for your research, and a liquid pump in it for your electrolyzers. The downstream water going to your farming tiles needs to go through the chillers, and that's it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
that's what showers (or algae terrariums) are for :)

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

That's true but the amount of heat that is deleted has been massively reduced. It's not crucial anymore. In fact it's now much easier and preferable to vent the excess heat out to space, since water is basically unlimited once you find a vent or geyser.

I thought the only change was reducing PW's SHC from 6 to 4.18? That doesn't sound like a huge change, although I guess that is about 33% drop.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They are a fantastic early-game source of clean PW though. it's great for cooling.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It's got 66% the heat capacity it used to, but it still has the higher boiling point and magic heat deletion device. If you build your hot equipment in a stairstep (or vertical zigzag) with a bottle emptier / vent at the top and a pump+sieve at the bottom, you can keep all your industrial equipment around 40-50C without wheezeworts. Not quite as OP as it once was, but still useful.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The water is moving over them, they pick up heat as it flows by. maybe it doesn't work anymore? :(

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

What’s this zig zag setup? Can someone post a screenshot?

You're overthinking it.

Let's say you've got three kilns you want to keep cool. Create a "tower" of insulated tiles with a gap between them of a single piece of the equipment. Start with the floor of the tower, put one mesh tile against the wall, and then fill the remaining floor with regular tile. Put your machine here, then repeat on the next floor. The difference with the next floor is you put the mesh tile on the opposite side. At the top of the tower, put either a bottle emptier or a water vent, and empty polluted water into it. As the water falls, it will run across each floor and spill out of the mesh tile. Since the mesh tiles are offset, the PW will flow across each floor, picking up the heat as it moves. By the time it reaches the bottom, it will be substantially hotter. A few hundred kilograms of water will easily get you through the research into automation, and then you can set up contraptions to sieve off the water that's above a threshold of temperature.

I'd add a screenshot but I'm on my phone :(

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Truga posted:

On that note, polluted water vents are amazing, they expel fairly cool (I think ~30 degrees) polluted water in enormous amounts which you can use for aquatuner coolant and farming and even topping off your water supply through a sieve since tepidizer makes disinfecting it fairly cheap.

lol at this scrub who's never found a slush geyser

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ratzap posted:

This is what I said last page. If you mine a bunch of slime and just let it sit there it fills the polluted air with germs. There's a video which I can no longer find that showed it nicely.

The latest update introduced some buggy behavior around germs though. I've had pockets of normal-pressure PO2 with over a billion germs per tile in them, and while they were dying off, it was only 3% due to overpopulation.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My current base has 2kj/cycle wasted (100% from smart battery runoff) and 880kj/cycle consumed. I am automating my SPOMs to the point where I am tapping excess hydrogen, and using staged smart batteries to preferentially burn that over NG, preferentially over coal.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
dig a pit, run algae deoxydizers for a bit, and the natural gas will sink. it's not a lost cause.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My current colony has a ton of water available, so I have two SPOMs going. I've been expanding slowly by using exosuits to mine an area, walling it in, then pumping oxygen in until it's at max pressure. Then I'll break the walls and expand my base into it.

I'm fairly efficiently tapping the extra hydrogen from it for power. My coal reserves are climbing as I'm excavating the caustic biome, since I'm not using all that much power.

My bristle farm is producing 63 happy berries per iteration. I'm about to get my pinchas up and running, heating them with my vast hot water reserves.

Wonder what's going to happen to ruin the whole thing :)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
pfft an AETN can't even keep up with an 8.8kg/s copper volcano.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The idea is just to soak up as much heat as possible. The piping for the wiggle is cheap, and the generator will delete it all.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
They may also be using that as a buffer tank for hydrogen

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Ok, I need help taming this copper volcano. It's nearly destroyed an AETN, it melts my tungsten autosweepers nearly immediately. Ideas?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So far i have two natgas geysers, one cool steam, one hot water, one pwater (30C). Waiting for a slush, for sure!

My next attempt will be flooding it with pwater at 10kg/s, with a temp sensor. Once the temp of the water bath drops below 80C, open some mechanised doors so my autosweepers can get to the copper. Then enclose the whole thing with abyssalite and let it simmer until dormancy.

The volcano and AETN are close enough that i might be able to use a steam turbine for cooling.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I think the tepidizer is why the sieve has a fixed output temperature, by design.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You can get ceramic pretty early on, that's the new replacement for early/mid-game Abyssalite (when used as insulated tile/pipes)

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Put an ore scrubber between your sieved clean water reservoir's pitcher pump, and your kitchen. No more germs.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
That's figuratively the build name of the game though. It's a single-player game, they need to not faff around trying to nerf a bunch of little exploits and instead give me draggable "disable disinfect" commands.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I haven’t found a way to automate ranching. My hatcheries become overcrowded regularly as each hatch lays an egg every 25 cycles. But there isn’t a way to convert those eggs to omelettes without risking a reduction in your herd size, since hatches don’t live forever. It’s hard to explain.

Fortunately you can set a max for number of hatches and have the surplus auto wrangles. I release those back to the wild.

You mean you release those to a lower-priority critter drop-off in your automated drowning pit with an auto-sweeper to bring the meat to the BBQ.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

User0015 posted:

Wha?

How do you automate farming?

You use hydroponic tiles (if necessary) for watering, and conveyors and autosweepers to deliver dirt / slime, and pick up the harvested material. The duplicants still have to go into the farm and do the thingy where they blast the food off the plant -- but training somebody as a farmer makes them both really fast at that and prioritize it.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
With the above oxygen room, snake the output pipe through a reservoir of water and use either granite or radiant piping for it. It's free chilling, and you can dump ice in it to keep it going for quite awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

You need to be careful with this because the cooling isn't actually "free", since the 70 C gas that is being cooled will eventually heat up your water, and that will wilt your plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2taViFH_6_Y

I just mine out an ice biome. SOLVES THE PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL.