Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Discord link in the OP is no longer valid. You should be able to set it to never expire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What should I be concentrating on in a new colony? My first two were beset by lack of oxygen, then lack of food.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Every new colony, I get closer to self sustaining and learning something. Feels like I'm rapidly approaching the edge of content though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Eventually, I run into a problem of nobody doing any work because they're constantly running water to algae plants and my farm tiles. And then eventually everyone starts hitting stress caps, even with active massage tables. Figuring out oxygen is a pain.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Use water pumps to automatically drip water onto your algae farms? That would free up loads of manpower so your Dupes can work on other poo poo.

...I never thought of that. Just put a drain right overhead and it won't flood or anything?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I came back to the game and got a handle on germs pretty quick. Two toilets off in a corner, with two wash basins on the way out. Finally started messing with geysers, specifically a steam geyser. Ran into a new problem for me, temperature. My water pumps kept overheating and breaking, while the hot water started warming my base way too much.

Time to start again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How do power transformers work? I had three coal generators hooked together with Heavy Watt Wire, and that wire hooked into the top left plug of two different transformers. I then ran regular wire from the bottom right to my main grid that everything else was connected to, both wires to different spots. The heavy wire would flash between yellow and white and the regular wire would just stay yellow and I would get overloads everywhere.

Did I have to much stuff on the grid? Should I be separating the grids by location and have a transformer for each location?

Edit: Also, wires. Do wires behind doors still give a negative decor? If so, do wire bridges also do so?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 28, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did find out my problem, I had more than 1kw worth of machines in a circuit.

Your post says that wire in tile is negative decor but that tile also blocks negative. You mean that tile will block most everything except the wire that is inside of it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

[Game Update] HOTFIX - 230103 (8/28/2017)
AUGUST 28 - KLEI_JAN
HOTFIX - 230103 (8/28/2017)

The following changes were made to make the beginning of the game easier to deal with disease, while keeping disease management a factor in later stages:
Significantly increased speed of disinfection
Made disinfection an automatic chore with an adjustable threshold in the disease overlay
Increase the speed of Food Poisoning germ die-off on buildings and ore
Increased the speed of using the wash basin
Improved messaging for disease management

Bugfixes:
Burying a dupe with food poisoning should no longer cause the game to crash
Using the liquid cooling fan should no longer cause a crash
Dupes should no longer forget to use flush toilet
Increased wash basin delivery priority
Refrigerator gauges should now work even without power

Faster disinfection is nice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Early Access users can now beta test (beta of an alpha :v:) updates two weeks before it goes live. Next update is oil related.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/82199-oil-upgrade-preview-coming-thursday/

• Oil Biome

• New Elements: Oil, Petroleum, Plastic

• New Creature: Slicksters

• New Medicinal Plant: Balm Lily

• New Exosuits: Allow Duplicants to venture safely into new locations

• New Buildings:

• Oil Refinery

• Well Cap

• Petroleum Generator

• Polymer Press

• Plastic Ladders

• Plastic Tiles

• Comfy Bed

• Sink

• Exosuit Station

• Exosuit Checkpoint

• Exosuit Dock

• Heavi-Watt Wire Tile

• High Pressure Gas Vent

• Animal Trap and drop-point

• Apothecary reintroduced

• All-purpose Placebo pills

• Vitamin Chews to boost immune systems

• Disease population now limited by the mass of the object it's on

• New "Room" mechanic: Better management of medical facility assignment, and to give poor Duplicants something to aspire to

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if the oil biome will be liquid pockets with stone between, or we have to go a further step to collect it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Had a real good map going until I realized, too late, that running two coal generators in the open air will fill the place with CO2.

It's fine, my spawn was covered in slimelung and hot temps, making exploring a pain.

I don't like research. It's just busy work that you have to do before you can play for real. Sorely tempted to see if Cheat Engine has a way around it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Played most of the day, ended around cycle 137. I had a steam geyser and natural gas geyser real close by; I got to learn about Thermo Aquatuners, building a power plant, and Electrolyzers. One geyser will support three gas generators if you have a lot of batteries as backup. Build your Aquatuners underwater, and five Electrolyzers won't put out enough hydrogen to keep a generator rolling. I don't know the number that will but I was up against the wire power limit and couldn't add more to see.

Has anyone messed around with debug mode? I wouldn't mind hand building a map so I can get a better understanding of things. It takes so long to get rolling on a regular map.

Edit: Doing a bit of reading; I should've built an inverted pyramid above the Electrolyzers and only one gas pump, then put the filter outside the room. Hydrogen rises, and I crammed two pumps and two filters into that room.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I need more pictures of bases. Even when I decide to stay small until I have research done, my base tends to balloon out of control and then I can't do things efficiently without tearing it all down.

Also, what would mid game be considered?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wouldn't call that one a bug; you're trying to run a pipe into the output. You could argue that it's finicky but it's pretty clear why it doesn't work.

What sort of waste would there be going: steam geyser to bathroom utilities, to water distiller, to reservoir? How many distillers would you need? Might need Carbon Scrubbers contributing as well, I think they produce the most polluted water.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has anyone messed around with doors to keep dupes locked in a specific section of the map, so that only they do a particular task? Maybe have a common dining room where food is kept, with the doors locked against certain dupes leaving through them; might cut down on the problem of someone running all the way across the map, mining out a single space, then running back to do something else.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I mean keeping them in certain sections of the map to only do one job like farming or mining. Priority won't change what an individual dupe does in order, and assigning certain tasks might not help if there is a similar job across the map.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a way to mark storage containers to never/only accept germ infested items? I know you can empty germ items but I'd rather they never go in there in the first place.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 25, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This game is approaching a level of complexity that lowers my fun, it feels. Research feels a lot slower (even with assigned scientists) and the dirt requirement for meal lice is a pain.

I'm still enjoying it, for now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm at work so I can't take a screenshot at the moment.

I finally found a steam geyser but it's behind a bunch of slimelung that I can't go around. My plan in is build an airlock, manual generator and battery, then three wash basins, an algae distiller, and two lockers. Those two lockers will only contain slime and algae, and whatever items in the area that are infected. The water output of the distiller will go below this area, into an open area that I won't be using anyway. Will this be enough to prevent a slimelung infection in the base? I'm on a big time limit as I'm low on dirt and water for food.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I had a slimelung spiral once, that I barely pulled out of. I don't want to take any chances, especially considering how often dupes just ignore wash basins even when they're at the highest priority.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've seen them walk by a row of three basins that aren't in use and go about their business, spreading filth everywhere.

One guy even pissed in my new water reservoir, forcing me to research tepidizers and burn the germs out, eventually.

How does everyone else to about setting up bases and such? What do you try to have setup by Cycle X so you don't have to worry about it later?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hooked up a couple water sieves to my bathroom output. Polluted water from sinks/toilets/showers, into the sieves, down to the water supply.

Except the water was full of food poisoning still and now my water supply is completely infected.

Is there a way to look up your seed? I liked this map and want to try again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It also runs into performance issues as you grow bigger and reveal more of the map, preventing an end goal of "I want to cover the entire map."

Which isn't that big a problem at this stage, really.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

How many resources can you get from just ranching? What would you need that animals can't produce, for a self sustaining base? Water and oxygen for sure. This includes taking nothing but flatulent dupes for some NG.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A colony completely sustained by ranching only sounds like a neat experiment that I'm not experienced enough to do. Probably more viable once the inevitable "Prepare Carefully" mod comes out.

Can anyone explain to me, like I'm an idiot, how to setup geysers for use?

Edit: Does the size of a stable affect how many creatures you can have in that room? Should I try to make every stable the max size?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 13, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm slowly learning. That's a CO2 vent to the right of the base, going to be right on top of my new Slickster stable so they'll never go hungry. Off to the left are a cool steam vent and cool slush geyser. I didn't know the cool slush was polluted water instead of regular water before I found it, I'll need to figure out what to do with that. Probably going to dump excess water from my bathrooms into the Puft room down below so it doesn't get backed up. Should also likely move that waterlock up next to the door of the new Slickster stable.

Automation is a lot easier than I figured.

This is the seed: https://toolsnotincluded.net/seeds/10845966/312713

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks like it. Check your bathroom, it looks like there are two things you could easily improve. One deals with morale, the other with heat. Or I could be wrong because they changed with the mk3 update.

Forgot to put a door in after digging out space for the sieve, and that compost pile doesn't do anyone any good for staying cool. I'll have a real washroom up in a bit though.

I've been watching Grind This Game play on a new map and I can tell I've been too worried about small things. The last time I played, Slimelung was a giant issue if someone got sick so I've been too cautious with it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can't wait until someone mods in ethanol geysers, stills and alcoholism.

I also wish negative traits gave something that is potentially beneficial. Flatulent gives actual gas you can use, allergies and the various "Can't do X" are just negatives.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Automation seemed so scary to me before. Now I have a gas sensor at the level of my base where I don't want CO2. It's hooked up to a skimmer, which pulls from my water supply, into a sieve, which goes back into the water supply, all hooked up to coal on smart batteries.

And none of it wastes any power/water unless the CO2 starts building up.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Latest colony is still going kind of strong at 367 cycles. I spent a long time doing setup stuff instead of exploring.

Things I learned:
-AETNs have limits. The one I setup wasn't keeping my Oxygen cold. Probably should have just snaked the pipes through the cold more, or let everything cool down before I started the SPOM.

-Speaking of a SPOM, I wasn't able to get the SP part going, unless that still includes coal power. Maybe I should setup some gas containers to store hydrogen and run more electrolyzers.

-Smart batteries really helped with coal usage but I did run out eventually, even with a hatch farm. Too many generators, I was slow getting to the NG geyser.

-Oil stuff is super hot you guys.

-My plumbing was a spider's web of a mess. Gotta be better next time. Same with power cords snaking everywhere.

Is the AETN location a good spot for a sleet wheat farm? Just use the same water coming to the electrolyzers. Dirt could eventually be a problem.

Do any of you use the espresso/arcade/boom box? They're so power heavy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I didn't even notice there were petroleum generators. Can you setup a self sufficient loop with enough oil and refineries?

Also is there a way to automate things that need a dupe to run, like the refineries?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:thunk:

Edit:

This seems like a problem.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 25, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Waiter there's an asteroid in my water.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

About how many cycles in does everyone try to have certain things done? I frequently find myself at cycle 100 (I use the 10x speed mod, no idea if that causes problems) having forgotten something major so then I have to rush build to make up for it.

How do I best set up a way to cool water from a geyser for oxygen? I usually just look for a cool slush but the map seed database is out of date and will be for a couple months still.

I should really switch to the DLC but I can't even successfully transition to mid game on vanilla.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Almost tempted to get the Mechatronics guy but good lord those are bad traits for a 4th dupe.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does the base game still have meteors on the surface? I hate dealing with them but also don't like trying to run 2+ colonies and all the slowdown that comes with it

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I did the "original" start or whatever it's called. Soon as I teleported to the other asteroid, the game dumped down to 35~ fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

They should add some kind of gas burning machine that you can absolutely lose control of if you don't set it up right, resulting in all the flammable gas in your base igniting.

Would also be an alternative to venting excess into space.