Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I bought this game last week and keep restarting cause things tend to go bad quickly. Last attempt there was a steam geyser close to the starting biome and I nearly got everything set up including a hydrogen cooling system but then killed multiple dupes in fairly quick succession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

temple posted:

slimelung?

Nah suffocation and overheating mostly

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I haven’t had it crash on me apart from bases falling apart as soon as a dupe makes a mess that ends up in the water supply. I might need to tweak my airlock design out of the base a bit cause I try to make my water supply neat looking at the very bottom of the base. It’s also super hard to run a 4 dupe base now that jobs are a thing. 6 seems like the minimum to get everything done

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I keep attempting to make things happen but haven’t made it past cycle 60 without the base crashing and burning. I think I get over confident and impatient at cycle 40 before crashing the system massively in the intervening cycles. Worst part was there was natural gas and cool steam not too far away. Maybe I’ll start again on the same seed as this time around

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
After having played this a fair amount back in the pre release days and sucking I've come back to this recently and thanks to francis johns tutorials I'm having far greater success in getting things done and having my colony survive. I did mess up my spom slightly in that I redirected some of the additional hydrogen to a pair of generators but that causes it to drain the storage tank out and then the spom has to be run off the grid. Wondering if running the output on the storage back into the input with a clock sensor might make things less problematic and keep the spom running by itself

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Welp that colony fell apart at cycle 316 thanks mostly to my poor planning and not leaving room for things that I should have. I can always start again though and see if I can smash the 500 cycle barrier.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah it was a cascading power failure caused by my reliance on coal which would have been fine provided I’d had enough hatches ranched which i didn’t. This then caused the air system to fill with chlorine gas and the mealwood failed. I also stupidly didn’t have my power system teired on their smart batteries which is something I’ll fix next time around.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

pokchu posted:

Trying to get back into this after not having played since before the Spaced Out update. It's very intimidating to try to ease back in!

I think I last played it before it left early access so it was a bit of daunting task to get back into. Francis John was super useful though for pointing me in the right direction of getting things running well.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Even with the arrows on the bridge I install them backwards 9 times out of 10.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Had a really nice base going until I completely destoryed it by setting a research reactor in the wrong spot. I'll know for next time I guess. Did have quite a few improvements over the last run though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Gonna spend part of today trying to secure the iron volcano that I found above my base. Should mean I never have to worry about refined metal ever again.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Back playing this again and taking a slow approach to building things. The current seed I’m on has a pair of cool slush gysers right by the starting zone along with a leaky oil fissure on the other side. Guess that means I won’t need to dig down to oil before I get my industrial brick up and running but before that I’ll get a soon and atmo suits so that the dupes survive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
You mean you don’t just dump your co2 in the basement so that the mushrooms can grow?