Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
What the gently caress, Ren.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
If I had to guess it's a huge gas pressure build-up from vaporizing liquids. A ton of liquid generally only takes a tile of space, but when it vaporizes it can result in crazy pressure values if it's trapped in the same space.

As a related note, I learned it's an incredible pain if you let water drip into the oil reservoir near the asteroid's core. The water layered at the surface of the oil so it wasn't a problem at first. Once the temperatures started reaching >100 C, the steam over-pressurized my exposed oil refineries and completely stopped petrol production. I'm talking about 25 kg/tile amount of steam. Now, gas pumps move 500 g/s compared to 10 kg/s of liquid pumps, which meant that removing the steam would be at 5% efficiency unless I somehow condensed the steam with insane amounts of cooling near the magma core. An added hurdle was that the steam temperature was close enough to the condensation break point that insulated ducts rapidly broke when the steam was moved even a little bit away from the bottom.

Didn't really want to deal with that nonsense and scrapped the base, but I have chronic restart-itis so I don't really mind that much.

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 18, 2020