Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minema
May 31, 2011
I finally started playing this game after years of it being un-played in my Steam library and man it's great!

This is my second colony attempt (first one had some breathing issues much earlier) on Cycle 100. I've not looked anything up other than basic info that the game doesn't tell you or clarifying something I'm not sure about.

It's obviously incredibly bad in many ways and probably many more ways I don't even know about! The glaring issue is obviously food, still on fried mush bars which are terrible, planning on getting farming and ranching set up on the right side as my next job.

The oxygen generation is probably too overpowered. I initially set it up in the hopes I'd be able to make enough hydrogen to power the base but trial and error found the best I could do was make a self-powered loop with a little left over. The coal generator seems to do well enough on the rest, especially now I've not got everything looped in to one huge circuit.

Also on the to do list is a new bathroom area with more toilets and a revamp of the plumbing system. Cooling is currently done by hauling ice in and letting it melt in that cooling tank, will probably need to start pumping the water out.

The wastewater room caused me a lot of concern for a while because it was slowly filling with incredibly high pressure stinky gas and I didn't know what would happen when I breached it, but aside from some popped eardrums everyone seems okay. Not sure what to do with it now.

There's also a lot of weird spaces that I'm not using and nothing about the layout is efficient! I started off using the caverns as rooms and linking rather than digging big areas out, which is why everything is such a strange shape. I don't want to expand into slime zones yet because I haven't worked out how to deal with the slime output other than shoving it in a death-room somewhere.

Like I say, I'm really enjoying the trial and error nature of playing the game at the moment because it's so satisfying when something does work out, but I thought experienced people might enjoy looking back at what it's like being new...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU