Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Speaking of cooling, does ice not really absorb heat effectively? One thing I tried to do to cool/replenish a body of water at one point was collect ice from a cold zone and send it back to a storage container that was located underwater. That didn't really do anything, so ok, sure, container is insulated or whatever. But then if I restrict the container to not allow ice, the ice is just sitting in the water, and it's like 3000kg, but is achingly slow to melt or even warm.

Is there a good way to melt ice to get more water? If not, how do you get more once you've used up the couple ponds near the start site? The supercomputer actually eats water instead of using it as coolant, so if I want to complete the research tree I'll eventually need more.

(I'm newish and terrible at this game, so if this is an exceedingly dumb question, no you didn't misunderstand, it's really that dumb.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

love that casual "everyone died" up in the corner.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah it messed me up for a long time being obsessive about germ spread, and then I realized that the game is not balanced to have it actually matter, probably because it's also incredibly awkward to control things so that they're not tracking stuff everywhere or using contaminated inputs.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

magicalmako posted:

My base is a mess, I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm having fun!

Same, forever. I am apparently too lazy to properly plan and comprehend this game, but I love my idiot children and their propensity for getting stuck somewhere they can't breathe.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'm partial to "piss pools are a good passive resource" myself.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

What should I be doing if I have a basic stable base, but haven't found the oil yet? I have the central area insulated, have plumbing to store piss, and can pipe it through a chlorine gas to remove the germs, on into a purifier and back into the main reservoir. I'm doing fine on heat and food, have some basic rooms and consequently good morale. Burning coal in a separate area outside the base for power, though still sometimes supplemented by the hamster wheels because whatever, the research dupe isn't doing much lately until my resources catch up to my tech level. I found a cool steam geyser but I don't have the materials to build a steam turbine so I can't really do anything with it yet.

Should I just be kinda... digging straight down until I hit oil or the core? It feels like a weird dull point, and this has usually been where I get bored with a base in the past.

Semi-related: is there a cheat mode to like build things without resources? I'd really like to see how some of the advanced buildings operate so that I can plan how to use them. One of the things that frustrates me about the game is the imprecision of in-game info about how a building behaves. Like, ok, I get what an autosweeper (just to pick a random example, I don't need info about this) does, but until I build one it's not obvious what its range is, or if there's anything that makes it more or less effective, or does it need to be hooked up to a conveyor (or can it be, even). Stuff like that. I get the feeling "visualize the final layout" is sort of not how the game is intended to be played, but I want to have a vague idea of what I'm trying to do since it can take a while to get a base to develop and I'd hate to realize I screwed myself out of ten hours because of some detail about how, I dunno, transit tubes or whatever interact with everything else.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hellevator, Terraria style. I like doing a 7 block wide shaft, ladder in the middle and individual ladder tiles on the side every 5 tiles. Keeps the dupes working instead of logjamming and running off to do other stuff plus it preps the area for easy excavation later. Think I got it from Francis John's videos. Worth avoiding ice biomes, so the cooling and water is easy to access later.

Although if you find multiple natural gas or hydrogen vents, it can be worthwhile to get them running as well as some basic automation before digging for oil.

I think sandbox mode can be enabled via the options menu?

E:

drecko ranch is a good idea, plastics are a pain in the rear end to cool

lol if I'm so goddamn dumb I never looked at the option screen -- thank you!

Hellevator it is, then! That does address how slow they've been about digging a single-tile shaft, which was part of my issue.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Does your starting asteroid have dreckos? If so, ranch them.

Probably an objectively good idea, but I want to learn how to do things the mining way before I try getting my refine metals and plastics from variant creatures.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I'm on normal anyway, so it's gotta be around here somewhere.

Going downward, I went through a slime zone and am into a saltwater zone. I'll just keep on excavating, and if I hit bottom I'll go right and left.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

I just picked up Spaced Out for the winter sale, so I'm thinking of restarting. Is there anything different in the pre-space game? If I haven't already built any rockets, do I even need to restart?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Can anyone either post or link some good starting info on automating shipping and supplying? In particular, I have not figured out what combination of things to use so that I can store stuff, but dispense it when needed.

To give a less vague question: I want to automate my slime-to-algae process. I have belts set up to take slime chunks through chlorine to disinfect, and then the conveyor output drops the packets into water. The part that I'm just not getting somehow is that I want to put the slime in a storage building of some kind, and be able to take it out (or have the building dispense it) when needed. The algae distiller doesn't have any output to signal "I need input" and an auto-sweeper doesn't seem to want to take anything out of storage, only put it in. I don't want to make the belt the belt run on a timer because a) I don't feel like calculating the amount of slime packets I should let through in a day and b) I'm pretty sure it off-gasses while on the belts. I don't want to just leave it in debris form in the water because sometimes it sidetracks dupes who think it needs to go into a storage unit somewhere.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Do you have a mod changing the look of tiles? I don't recognize what the room walls are built out of.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Xerol posted:

It's True Tiles. Insulated tiles all have that fuzz around the edges, the whole thing is built out of insulated tiles. I'm also using an airlock mod so if you're not then you need to use a vacuum liquid lock there to insulate the heat chamber or just wall it in completely.

Oh, I like it! I might add that mod myself. I'm just getting to higher energy levels where you need to actually think about what material you use for stuff.

Speaking of mods and specifically airlock ones, I have the Self-Sealing Airlocks Revived one recommended upthread and it doesn't seem to work. Is there a special extra step to enabling mods that I've missed? Any other reason it might not be doing anything for me when it seems to work for others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Frequent Handies posted:

You need to have your storage units have a lesser priority than the thing you want stuff swept into. If your distiller is 5 and your storage is 6, it will always prioritize the storage. Setting storage to 4 will have the sweeper move from storage to distiller.

Yeah, this was it. It didn't occur to me as I'd never adjusted any priority and so the storage and distiller were both at 5. Thank you!