Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Loopoo posted:

This is my current base. poo poo's going south real, real fast. I've got a severe shortage of: power, water, oxygen. I've got a severe abundance of: food, space, dupes, algae.

I've basically reached the stage where my dupes are consuming more oxygen than I'm producing, and my algae farms are converting all the expelled CO2 back into O2 but it's not enough to fix things. I tried setting up machines that break water down to provide oxygen, but it turns out it also provides hydrogen at the same time which caused all my lil guys to suffocate. I then tried making a system that pipes oxygen to the base and pipes hydrogen to a hydrogen generator, but by the time it finally got made, dupes started dying left, right and centre from lack of oxygen.

More is not always better in this game, I've figured out after a couple of runs. You don't always need to bring in more duplicants, especially if your oxygen system can't handle the strain. Also, I find that the less space you dig out, the higher the density of oxygen you'll have. I plan for four tile tall rooms, but I leave them at two tiles until I absolutely need the space.

From what I can tell you'll pretty much need to be constantly expanding into pockets of water and oxygen as the game progresses. Also you can generally count on hydrogen, being less dense, to rise, and CO2, being more dense, to sink. But the simulation is sort of funky.

I haven't rigorously tested any of this and also I'm a little bit hungover so take it as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Rather than have it filter through the entire colony, on my second attempt I used a 4x4 closed-off area that had an electrolyzer and a gas intake, with a gas filter separating hydrogen from oxygen; the hydrogen went straight into the generator and the o2 into circulation. No mess after that.

The research costs for advanced filtration are sort of high though and can be a pain if your dupes are struggling.

If you create a 3-wide gas-permeable accessway that runs the entire height of your base you can get that pesky CO2 down to your algae/scrubbers more effectively. Also stole your idea for painting placement.