Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
The game is pretty great, although it's been a few versions since the last time I played, so I haven't tried any of the new stuff.

Building a base for muh aesthetics or managing a spiralling shitshow of dropping moods isn't as engaging as it is in games like rimworld or dwarf fortress, but the game really shines when it comes to building larger systems to keep your colony afloat. Managing clean and polluted water, keeping your base comfortably cool (if you start next to hot biomes) and making sure everyone has enough mostly clean air to breathe involves piping a lot of stuff around, and thinking about things like air pressure, thermal conductivity and the different properties of materials is a lot of fun.

Here's a heavy handed attempt at cooling down boiling water from a geysir, which would be a renewable source of clean water. It didn't really work until the room filled up and the geysir stopped due to being over pressurized though. :shrug:

Here's one way to create a room that can store excess chlorine or co2 by using super-cooled hydrogen to liquidize or freeze all the incoming gases.

There are several other things in the game that warrants equally large projects, and there're a few hidden materials in the debug mode that doesn't show up in the game yet, suggesting that they'll add more things to gently caress around with later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
I haven't checked if it's still the case, but in the long run I think it's more common to end up with high pressure in most places due to there being more sources that create gas than gets rid of them. The biggest culprit was polluted water which spawned polluted oxygen without ever checking for surrounding pressure, so as the game went on you'd get these pockets with really compressed polluted oxygen that would eventually raise pressure everywhere else when you let it out. I'm pretty sure this is a bug that will be fixed at some point, if it hasn't already.

The only reliable methods of removing gas was using a hydrogen generator (which turns hydrogen into power) and the air scrubber which actually removes CO2. Oh and The Void I guess, although I've never found that myself. Freezing chlorine and CO2 in super cooled rooms takes care of the problem, provided the gas pressure in the room is low enough to accept more gas.

Edit: Oh, and yeah, using thermo-switches when making chilled rooms can probably help you automate the process entirely, but I was always too worried about messing up and getting broken pipes inside the rooms that needed to be sealed, so I don't really know how to go about it.

LoboFlex fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 21, 2017

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a way to use gravity instead of water pumps to intake water?

For example, if I build a water purifier underneath a body of polluted water and connect them using pipes, will water automatically flow into it, or do I still need a liquid pump?

No, the only way to get gas or liquids from the surroundings into pipes is via pumps. It might seem like pumps need a lot of power, but after a few cycles you'll probably have enough dupes to keep some of them on nearly constant hamsterwheel duty.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
Here's a large screenshot from the oil update nobody asked for:

Features:
- Lots of tunnels going nowhere, since the void apparently has been taken out of the game
- Oxygen generation that needs lots of attention so as to not get choked with hydrogen or waste a lot of power
- A storage room filled with chlorine, which is a great way to keep things bacteria free
- Food storage doused in liquid chlorine, which I'm sure keeps it extra fresh
- More shitwater and boiling freshwater than I know what to do with
- No protection suits, since apparently they require copper, which has been spent elsewhere

The game is great!

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
Welp, the new version broke my base in various ways, so here's another large screenshot nobody asked for:

There are a lot of ways that help keeping your base cool; I made sure the oxygen from electrolyzers was piped through a cold room filled with wheezewort and hydrogen before it reached the rest of the base. The water used for farming came from recycled pisswater; if you don't need it immediately you don't have to boil it since the bacteria eventually die out in clean water on its own. Water sieves always output water at 40ºC, so if you've got two aquatuners in your pisswater then it'll end up at 12ºC, which is perfect for bristle blossoms.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
They seem to have introduced a bug with radiant pipes.

I'm not sure what exactly is happening, but it used to be the case that running really hot oxygen through this cold basin would cool it down nicely, but now the temperature fluctuates wildly while in the radiant pipes, and then goes back to its original temperature when exiting. I was suddenly piping 80C oxygen directly into my farms, so be careful if you're relying on something like this.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
Just a buncha hatches waking up for the evening:

https://i.imgur.com/LP7Difb.gifv

I never really did much with ranching before, but these things really do add up after a while, even without much attention from dupes.

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have a good guide or some screen shots of how to make a cooling loop with aquatuners?

Here's what my usual design looks like:

Liquid comes in from the bottom left, and every time it comes back out it goes through a thermo sensor to see if it's warm enough to go in for another round. In this case I'm using salt water, so I'm making sure it's hotter than 10 degrees C before going in. If the liquid is cool enough it goes through the liquid valve instead, which is just there to prevent the liquid from flowing backwards.

The gas pump in there was used before the whole things was started just to get rid of any gases before it filled up with steam. Not sure if it's necessary, but I feel it's the right thing to do if you grew up in a furnished home. You'll want some way to turn it off when you're done though, so it doesn't start pumping steam everywhere, ruining everything for everyone. Oh, and make sure everything is made out of steel.

The thermo sensors inside probably aren't necessary, but they're a way to turn it off it gets too hot in there I guess.

The steam generator itself also runs kinda hot, so you'll probably want to think of some way to cool it down in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
You can also build multi-tile machines over darkened tiles, and the dupes will dig out the tiles and reveal them as needed.