Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
BattleMaster needs to learn to make video games so I can play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Dude you've already bought the game. Why not just :filez: a version you prefer? It's not like you haven't supported the developer.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

edit: while we're at it let's have better power control stuff. I want logic outputs on generators (in addition to the existing inputs) that go true when the generator is operating so you can daisy chain them together in order of how you want your fuel spent, and I would like a better way of monitoring the current state of the power grid than just smart batteries, like a sensor that can activate when the load on the grid is above or below a certain level so generators can come online during times of higher use like when a refinery is working or your dumbshits are playing video games. you could rig things up to maximize fuel efficiency while minimizing reliance on batteries (and thus not losing energy to battery leakage)

I would spend hours just designing and optimizing power grids with options like that

edit: Sorry, I'm dumb. You literally said that battery leakage was something you wanted to avoid. I found a way you can cheese something like this. Set one generator to keep the batteries at 90%, and another at 85%, and 80% and so on.

Edit: Is there a way to tell your dudes which side of something to do a job from? Like if I don't want you collecting sand from the bottom of the sewer, so I tell you to lock the sewer, I didn't mean for you to lock yourself inside the sewer, Bubbles.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 28, 2018

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I had the output of my forge draining into the same basin as a polluted water well and discovered that >50°C water kills food poisoning. And oxygen kills slimeling. A vali strategy to disease management I've found is to run hot and overpressure. I don't know if melting all the snow and burning all the slime to oxygenate the entire asteroid is valid beyond cycle ~100, but it works pretty good until then.

Except for food. Food needs to be insulated in it's own special little cold room. By the way, do you get temperature related crop failures in real life? It would be pretty fun if the way global warming killed us all is we starved to death.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Now I want there to be ONI cows to eat all your food and fart in your base to make the problem even worse.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Why Burt?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
You see Nikola, if you are building box around head you will not falling into ground long distance like American cartoon Wile E. Coyote.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 10, 2018

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Nevets posted:

Related: I had a duplicant drilling laddering for oil and when the heat started burning her she just kept going, eventually she collapsed and nobody tried to save her, not even my other vest wearing duplicants. They did eventually bury her corpse though, so at least I've got that going for me.

How do I get down to oil before plastic? They can survive the temps for short periods, I assumed they'd run away and cool down every so often like they do to catch their breath.

Since I caught I dude eating in the latrine I don't trust them near the drinking water. If your dudes are drilling through the oil, I figured out a way to pump out a fluid without standing in it.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Please join me in crossing fingers.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Yes?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Do volcanoes emit gaseous phosphorous now?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Liquefy hydrogen and pump it around your base.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
This one I think would work better if it were more "U" shaped and less "V" shaped.

But it has a feature that I think is pretty neat.

If the steam box is hot and at low pressure, and the steam turbines are cool, and the batteries are low, it'll drop water on the bunker tile, which flashes to steam and increases the pressure, giving a burst of power. I think it would be better if there was constant high pressure in there instead of just sporadically, even if it's finagled to happen when needed. Anyone good at maintaining high steam pressure? Please post nuclear powerplants.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I have a problem

Can you see it?

I did a Francis John.

But he is smart. He puts his in space. But mine is...

...kind of above the bedrooms. I have some space to work with. Natty G storage is in the way. Let's see what I'm trying to contain.

There's a lot of stuff in there.

I've been savescumming like Into the Breach trying to contain this goo. The current plan is to freeze it, break it up into chunks, and carry it out into space to be harmlessly dispersed by rocket exhaust.

Let's see how that works:

The abyssalite is failing. The pressure is too high. I reinforced the walls enough but now it's coming up through the floor.

The pressure inside the Francis hasn't dropped by very much. This has failed.

I don't understand what went wrong. I was just pushing physics to its limits and and manipulating forces I didn't fully understand to obtain Unlimited Power. "Nothing could possibly go wrong!" I'd said. But now it appears that things have gone wrong. Nobody could possibly have forseen this.

OK New Plan:

We're going to dig a tunnel to space.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
박최은

The space tunnel is nearly complete. But the very last step poses a problem.

Two steps away from the Francis is fine.

But if you get any closer than that, you're dead.

It is in fact 23x more radioactive than the center of a running nuclear reactor.

Someone may come to rescue you, they'll take you all the way to a triage cot, but you'll fall out and die on the hospital floor. The absorbed rad dose is just too high. Even with Rad Pills, Lead Suits and a seafood diet, going in there is certain death.

Let's all take a moment to remember all the dupes who found that out the hard way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHAOWLhrxhQ
Whomever gets sent in there to take out the airflow tile is dead. This is unconscionable.

There is no option but to deploy the Space Robots. They don't care about radiation. They don't care about magma. They don't care about anything.

I plugged the holes and tried again.

Once again there is pressure damage.

This appears to be working. Failure no longer results in 295°C liquid nuclear waste dumped into my living quarters. It is headed in the right direction.

Panty Saluter posted:

So I have no idea why the one diamond tile started getting pressure damage (it had already been replaced here) but it did, and then it broke and dumped petroleum right on the hot rocks below. Through some divine provenance I caught it just in time and I didn't wind up with a room full of superheated sour gas. The automation was all so elegant too, how could this happen to me :negative:

I think pressure damage happens when there is a more than 1200kg of liquid in a single tile adjacent to a solid tile which is not backed by at least 2 more tiles. High pressure walls need to be at least 3 tiles thick. I think. Or made of airflow tile. I think you need to lower your fluid pressure or thicken your walls. But nothing looks wrong in that screenshot, other than the damage. Petroleum weighs like 800kg, so you shouldn't be getting that kind of damage. I don't know dude. Something's weird.

SPACE TUNNEL
3rd time is the charm!

4th time. 4th time is the charm! That's what everybody says.

Ok maybe the 3rd time didn't fail exactly, but what was I going to do with all that garbage that didn't make it to space? It's not like robots can build plumbing.

This is exactly the same as version 3 except now there's liquid pumps on the floor.

That's going to have to be something I leave running for a while.

Stay tuned for part 3 of Staring at Ooze.

e:

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 22, 2023

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Suggestions for leveraging a carbon dioxide geyser that emits at -55c?

Renewable co2 is of course useful for pwater or slicksters, but it's technically a heat deleter, even if co2 doesn't have much thermal mass.

E: Might make an air gap around the base and pipe it there for the time being. Should be an effective insulator until I decide to what to do with it

I have one of those. Piped it under the kitchen. It will keep things fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
More turbines could help. Put a heat source in there too. Some use batteries.