Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
How do you cut through a slime biome to get to the (say ice) on the other side before you get exosuits? If I build tiles through it it seems my guys spend all their time disinfecting the tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ok, but the air is relatively clear of germs, it’s the tile surface that keeps getting germs from the slime underneath it. Will oxygen in the air decontaminate the tile?

Edit: also the sick I can handle, it’s all the wasted time disinfecting that’s the annoying part (without micromanaging priorities).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That all makes sense, but isn’t really what’s bugging me. Let’s say I have a ... 25 grid tiled tunnel going through the slime area. In that span there will be four or five tiles (with slime directly underneath) that dupes will run to and disinfect three or four times per cycle.

Should I make it so there is no slime touching any tiles?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Oh dammit. I forgot about the disable disinfect button.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Main Paineframe posted:

Set the disinfect threshold higher, and use tiles and mining to ensure that your dupes don't have access to too many slime tiles at any given time.
Turns out that just digging out the one slime square directly underneath each “permanent-disinfect” tile fixed it just fine.

Just to make sure I’m not overlooking another obvious thing, there is no way to set a disinfect limit for an individual object, correct?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Back Hack posted:

I just my colony death spiral out of control because I ran out of algae to feed my oxygen generators, but I got further than I’ve ever gotten before with up 18 duplicatants; so progress was made I say.
My last game failed because I ran out of ... dirt. Wasn’t expecting that.

(I realize it failed because I should have moved on from planting mealwood).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Rambling post incoming.

I keep getting chaos explosions about day 150-ish and think I need to rethink basic stuff. After you get a basic colony going (toilets, beds, research, enough farms to support 5-6 people), what do people generally recommend as the first (or first few) major “expansions”?

Above all, my playing experience tells me clean (cool) water is the most precious commodity. So I think planting a lot of bristle blossoms earlyish could be a mistake. On the other hand, I’ve run out of dirt eventually for mealwood. Mushrooms seem to give a lot of food, but have a long growing period.

Coal generators don’t seem necessary until you start adding stuff past the basic setup. Do people usually just plop down one semi-temporarily to save labor? Wait until you get smart batteries? Wait until you find an ice biome to pre-emptively handle the excess heat (at the cost of increased wiring cost/complexity) that eventually pops up?

Also do people tend to group generators and run a central bus, or have them spread and just use different circuits? Heat spread vs. wire cost, I guess.

The water pool - pump - lavatory/sink - water sieve - vent in (same) water pool loop seems to be pretty much a self-sustaining loop that gives extra germ killing (and comfort?) at the cost of power and sand. As far as I can tell, the lavatories and sinks don’t care about water temperature. Worth it early-ish, or a later luxury?

Anyone semi-rush exosuits to just not worry about exploring? Makes things a lot easier, but you need a significant amount of refined metal. And you need to find some of those reeds.

Algae eventually becomes scarce, do people generally set up distillers early, or use your earlier slime for growing mushrooms? Not that slime seems scarce.

I guess I’m just looking for “second step” suggestions.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

socialsecurity posted:

Lately my favorite option for post algae oxygen is morbs, dig out a latrine under a ice biome and have dupes use outhouses there but never clean them. They will continue to spawn morbs that will eat whatever air is around them(so pump in whatever junk gasses you have) and turn it into polluted oxygen, let that polluted oxygen go into the ice biome where the germs all die due to the cold then clean the air and pump it out.

Doesn’t that waste a whole lot of dupe time traveling to and from the outhouses? Or do they only need to use it a couple of times?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Thanks for that.

The output of a water sieve is non-polluted water with food poisoning germs in it. If I feed that into an electrolyzer, the wiki says the oxygen produced will have those germs in it. But do those germs die quickly enough to not be a problem, or do I have to essentially boil the water first?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This sentence in the linked post isn’t making sense to me:

quote:

Because they can sustain 4kw of power, they can charge a battery AND power a 2kw circuit
what is “sustain 4kW of power”?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So the 1000J limit is just what it “stores” like a battery, but it lets up to 4000 pass through if available from the feed?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I must be missing something. There’s only one wire hooked to the transformer output, so what does it matter (for one tick) whether that wire leads to one load or a dozen?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Right. But what if you have, say, 3 devices that each draw 600W connected to the transformer's output (with a conductive wire), and all three need power at the same time. What happens? Does one power on, or all three?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well I went into sandbox mode and ... it doesn’t look like the transformer limits power flow at all? At least not up to 5kW. Edit: looks like the limit is 5kw, it’ll handle that but 5.2 makes the last device flicker on and off).

I put 9 coal gens “behind” it, and about 22 gas pumps (240W each) in front, all connected with heviwatt wire (all through the transformer, I.e. no direct connection from the generators to the pumps). Everything powered up, but the wires kept burning out at the connection to the pumps (e: the burnout was because I left one segment of conductive wire in). Clicking a wire gave power numbers like “4.88 kW/5.4kW”.

When I used conductive wire on the output, it still tried to pump well over 2kW out, but naturally the wires melted.

Maybe it’s just a safe stepdown from heavy wire to regular wire with a built in 1000J battery?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 22, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dogen posted:

Supposedly there is a per device 1k limit, like it won’t power an aquatuner directly?
Seems to be the case. With both the Thermo aqua tuner and the glass forge thingy (each of which requires 1200W), it only powers them for one brief blip every second or two.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No gravity doesn’t seem to work in pipes. Best method I’ve found is a temporary pump + battery + hamster wheel to empty it until it’s shallow enough to mop up the scraps.

Also everyone seems to say the showers are currently either broken or of very minimum value.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Isn’t there something with bleach stones that’ll disinfect it, or is that just disinfecting air?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It all makes sense now, but I guess my mistake (and apparently some others') was I took “can’t power a single device that needs more than 1000W” and “capacity: 1000J” and somehow turned that into “will protect the output from ever going over 1000W” (and melting regular wire).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Speedball posted:

wait, I thought liquids went straight through airflow tiles too?
No, mesh tiles let both through.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Back Hack posted:

I don't have any ice biomes near me
Then get to diggin' and walkin'! :v:

Check the location of your compost heaps, they drop hot dirt now.

I try to “frame” my starter biome base in abyssalite tiles, but I’m not sure if that’s just a placebo or not.

Just to make sure, you know about the heat overlay, right?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Back Hack posted:

Yes, I know how it works, how do you think I know that all the biomes surrounding me are in the 70c degree range. :v:
I figured you did, but if you hover over or click on an individual tile it shows you the temperature.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good thinking, but wheezeworts wont liquefy gasses, according to the wiki. And insulated pipes are expensive. Plus the coal generators constantly produce CO2, so it wouldnt be a completely closed system.

CO2 always seeks the bottom right of any airway, so you can just dig down for a (long) while to dump it.

Carbon skimmers destroy CO2, but they need clean water (and power) as an input, and output polluted water. You can (mostly?, not sure of the volume needed) close that water loop by running the polluted water into a water sieve then using the produced clean water to feed the skimmers.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That explains a few recent oddities.

But since we’re kind of on the subject, are carbon skimmers the only things that will reduce overall pressure (outside of, I assume, venting gas into space)? Do slicksters do the same?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Amateur tip: the printer is a light source, so you can plant two bristle blossoms on either side without building or powering any lights.

Me, I would probably do the bathrooms, bust into some slime if nearby to uncover more map and get some gold and mushrooms, and probably start setting up a hatch ranch because you are going to run out of coal probably sooner rather than later. But I’m probably overly paranoid about spending coal, copper, and (until recently) water.

Small detail about the pic — check your heat map, that compost pile produces hot dirt now. Might want to move it away somewhere.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I just basically ignore germs and nothing happens?

Well not quite ignore. When I bust into a slime biome I build an airlock door and just beyond it build a storage container for only slime and set its priority to 7, and disable disinfecting it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I suppose so. “Don’t poo poo where you eat” seems kind of obvious, but I’ve missed plenty of pretty clear things, too.

Speaking of possibly missing obvious things, a lot of people post these compact electrolyzer setups similar to this https://m.imgur.com/7nfwWql (sometimes with a bottom pump instead of the wheezewort) but the hydrogen part never seem to work for me. Is that likely because hydrogen no longer tends to drift left?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

dogstile posted:

Do sinks still not care if they get fed germy water?
They do not. Lavatories and sinks don’t care about germs or temperature.

Once I realized that (probably from a post here) life became a whole lot easier. Once you build sinks/lavatories the only things that need “proper” water in the first few hundred cycles are bristle berries and some stuff you cook. I think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Suggestion made with a huge assumption: on one colony try not growing bristle berries. Lately I’ve been going straight from mealwood to mushrooms and it seems to work pretty well. Have only gotten to the low 200s, though.

Mushroom farm, 2nd tier bathroom using water-sieved germy water, and minimal cooking and I think the only thing that uses clean water is research.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The two-tiered water cleanliness thing is cumbersome. Electrolyzers can use non-polluted but germy water, (I’ve never gotten to oil wells) and by “clean”there I meant non-polluted and non-germy.

But now that I think of it, I’ve never checked whether you can use non-polluted but germy water for research.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Edit: oh you meant cooked mealwood.

This probably isn’t optimal, but I usually just don’t bother cooking.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So, they tell me I gotta go over to level three east and connect up some insulated pipe for that new water filter project. Ok, fine. So I schlep my way through the slime and get out there, I check the work order and it calls for sedimentary rock. I’m thinkin’, that’s not gonna last ten cycles. Plus there’s piles of granite just laying there right at the work site. But hey, whatever, I’m just an apprentice architect, what do I know, right?

I’m tellin’ ya, Stinky, the guy in charge of this mess is a moron who's gonna get us all killed. But what are ya gonna do?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Gas pipe flow: is there a way to prevent half flow at a T when one of the branches is full? I’ve tried a few alternate junctions and it doesn’t seem like it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Clock sensor, has two parameters: time of day to go active, and how long (in % of a day) to stay active.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seriously guys, just build a storage container outside your base airlock door, set it to store only slime, set the priority to 6 or 7 (so they’ll pick slime off the ground and put it in the box), disable disinfecting it to save time (and if you want build a deodorizer next to it) and you can basically forget about slimelung for 30 or 40 cycles, by which time you’ll probably have exosuits.

If things go slow in that interim period and the immunity number drops below 100, just refuse exit through the door for dupes with, say, 100,000 germs or more for a week.

Slimelung sounds way scarier than it actually is, I’ve found. Although I have read a few things that make it sound like it was more powerful in the past but was toned down.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does the lower section stay at vacuum if you leave the pump off for a short while?

Edit: I partially ask because I sort of remember that setup having an atmo sensor at the bottom, too, set to something like “above 1200”.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 17, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I had a head-scratcher about a situation probably no one will encounter. Short version is, you know the “water sieve will output water at 40C” thing? That’s true if you pump in polluted water. If you pump in clean water, the output water is the same temp as the input water.

To answer the obvious question, I was trying to use my existing piping structure after I found a steam geyser.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well the electrolyzers were fine with the hot water, but the metal refinery and its output pipe kept melting.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Did massage tables used to be under Furniture or am I imagining that?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Twice the ore for the powered ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

neogeo0823 posted:

This, for example, is exactly what I'm asking about. How do i set a food to not be eaten?
To be specific, click the “consumables” button at the top. As mentioned, those buttons do a lot and some of it may not be obvious. Few examples:

Clicking the Report button, then clicking Stress Change will give you the stress change numbers for each individual dupe, and hovering over a dupe's name will break down the change components.

In the Priorities tab, notice the (gear icon) Options button in the upper right. Click and hover to get an explanation of Enable Proximity.

If you don’t want to micromanage priorities, notice the Auto-Prioritize button in the upper right of the Jobs screen. It seems to work fairly well.

Also on the Jobs screen, if you hover over the dupe's head icon it’ll show you their interests, skills, and expectations.

Edit: a different tip, locking a door takes a frustrating amount of time. Instead of locking it, often you can achieve what you want by just refusing access to the “out” direction. Like if a door is on the right edge of your colony, click the right arrow near the top. The arrow goes away and dupes can no longer pass the door going left to right, but they can still go right to left if anyone is still out in the “wild”.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 28, 2018