Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TKIY posted:

I just signed up for an AoS escalation league. Weep not for me, I seek knowledge to share with others.

My body is a roadmap of pain, and pain has it's valves.

You're a good person, TKIY. The game sounds like it's almost in the place they were originally shooting for as a ~beer n' pretzels~ chill game but honestly after three beers and having my big death cannon rendered useless turn one via poo poo I couldn't actively counter I'd probably smash a bottle over somebodies head.

SteelMentor posted:

What would be the plural of SLAMBO.

Slambi? Slambles? Slambronies?

Slambalya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Bombogenesis posted:

You're a good person, TKIY. The game sounds like it's almost in the place they were originally shooting for as a ~beer n' pretzels~ chill game but honestly after three beers and having my big death cannon rendered useless turn one via poo poo I couldn't actively counter I'd probably smash a bottle over somebodies head.

Well I'm going to run an actual new book Army and see if that helps. I happen to like the tree dude models anyhow and they will be square based for KoW so I'm not really losing anything but time and brain cells.

I did but the Alarielle model because it's awesome. Counts as Dragon for KoW I figure.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The Scruby and Wells podcast is doing a multi part series on the army if you want to listen about it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

This is another problem that needs to be corrected. You buy units in blocks and you pay per block whether you use all the models in that block or not. This leads to fuckery like this:

• Dryads are 120pts for 10 models
  • Dryads get a unit bonus for having 12+ models
  • Dryads are sold in boxes of 16

You tell me how this works. All you need to do is say Dryads are 120pts for a block of ten which is the minimum size, and then it's 12 points for each additional model. Hell, stuff like Champs and Banners is built in to the 'first ten' cost so maybe it's 10 points for each additional model. Sort of like how it was done in 8th (imagine that).

KoW does the buy-units-by-block system but with multibasing it's not nearly as big an issue.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
What happened to the old Age of Slgmar thread?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

This is another problem that needs to be corrected. You buy units in blocks and you pay per block whether you use all the models in that block or not. This leads to fuckery like this:

• Dryads are 120pts for 10 models
  • Dryads get a unit bonus for having 12+ models
  • Dryads are sold in boxes of 16

You tell me how this works. All you need to do is say Dryads are 120pts for a block of ten which is the minimum size, and then it's 12 points for each additional model. Hell, stuff like Champs and Banners is built in to the 'first ten' cost so maybe it's 10 points for each additional model. Sort of like how it was done in 8th (imagine that).

KoW does the buy-units-by-block system but with multibasing it's not nearly as big an issue.
Well the Spire of Dawn and Start Collecting Boxes have properly filled out battlelines, afaik but I don't know how that is across other boxes. I ask about 1500 because it's apparently the common size played at my FLGS. It's easy enough to trim to get Slambo in there. I mainly want the theme of the force to be rival factions of Skryre and Moulder united under a single banner seeing which brand of mad science is better. Also Slambo is there. I can just some of the Pestilens stuff and slowly replace with other stuff. I'm just working from those two boxes as a base since they're good value and I like most of the units. I don't really need or want the Plague Monks though...

Ghost Hand posted:

Mysteriously closed.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

It was getting better then it got closed.

Bottom line the game still has glaring flaws, shitposting is not going to go away, so AoS posters need a thick skin.

I'm really only playing it out of lack of other fantasy options so I'm posting about it with salty as gently caress attitude. Maybe it will win me over if GH2 goes further than the first one did.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
thank you, slambros

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TKIY posted:

Well I'm going to run an actual new book Army and see if that helps. I happen to like the tree dude models anyhow and they will be square based for KoW so I'm not really losing anything but time and brain cells.

I did but the Alarielle model because it's awesome. Counts as Dragon for KoW I figure.

Tune in next episode, where a new army list extends its olive branch to the embattled TKIY. Will he find victory or will his Aelves get Shaelved?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

Tune in next episode, where a new army list extends its olive branch to the embattled TKIY. Will he find victory or will his Aelves get Shaelved?

Not Aeaeleveses but Sylvaneth.

One of those two names is actually from AOS. Guess which one?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

*meaningful pause*

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Aeldari?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GW's been doing Faux Latin so long for 40k, it's about time they switched to Faux Anglo-Saxon.

I guess I'm saying it should be Ælþari.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

SLAMBO

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

SteelMentor posted:

SLAMSBO

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I change my mind I like this one best

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
slaembo

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Slambii.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Drone posted:

GW's been doing Faux Latin so long for 40k
That reminds me, I have to paint a few marines, anyone know Latin so I can write "kick me" or "I'm dumb" and similar things on the purity seals?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Calce Feriat Egomet should work for Kick Me and Ego Brutus should cover I'm an Idiot.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

"semper ubi sub ubi" was my favorite back in Latin class.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
im jealous of your brush control if youre writing microscopic text on purity seals

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Not to interrupt the shitposting but is there any overview/meta rundown for the various factions(battleforces?(armies?(wad of cash?)))? I'm interested to see where everything stands in that "can't look away from a train wreck" kind of way.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i briefly thought about doing that, but then all the fucks left my body

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad this thread recognizes the majesty of SLAMBO

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SLAMBO:

special rule: Get Dunked On

When you slam your opponent's main guy, you may shout "SLAMBOOMSHAKALAKA" and make a dunking motion. If you do, reroll the dice and instantly win the game.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

LordAbaddon posted:

Not to interrupt the shitposting but is there any overview/meta rundown for the various factions(battleforces?(armies?(wad of cash?)))? I'm interested to see where everything stands in that "can't look away from a train wreck" kind of way.

Not really, there was one in the old thread. I'm learning as I go though.

You basically have the big 4 alliances: Order, Death, Chaos and Destruction. Inside those you have the new armies like IronJawZZZ, Sylvaneathaenth, Stormlord Whiteprides, etc... You have to have all your models from one of those subfactions to gain their special rules, but you can mix and match within the alliances otherwise. This determines your army Allegiance.

All the old guys got their models wrapped up in the Battletomes. These are usually called 'Compendium Armies' since they got their points in the Generals Handbook compendium.

What really fucks things over is that within these, they broke them up into tiny little subfactions. For instance, Skeletons are not part of the same subfaction as Ghouls (no poo poo they are Deathrattle and Flesh Eater subfactions respectively), so their assocaited heroes don't buff each other.

If you want to run a Ghoul Army, you go to the Flesh Eater Courts subfaction, get their Battletome, and it gives you the formations Battalions that you can use, what special rules they get etc. It's dumb because Flesh Eater Courts basically has five units: Ghouls, Strigoi Vamps (on foot or TGheist), Terrorgheists, Varghulfs and Crypt Horrors. Sucks because you can *only* use those if you want to retain your Flesh Eater Court alliance. Take a Group of Skeletons and now you are only allied to Death.

It's messed up a bit, so only the new factions with new kits give you any sort of variation, and even then it's limited. Sylvaneth gets two named characters, three flavours of treemen, two flavours of revenant, two flavours of Branchwraiths, Dryads and Hunters with choice of three weapons. Compare either of those to the old Vamp Counts. List building becomes *very* cookie cutter.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LordAbaddon posted:

Tournament results are hard to scrutinize since they're frequently listed by Grand Order which doesn't tell you much, and also don't seem to have a ton of Big tournaments to draw real data from. What I can put together from podcasts suggests Sigmarines, Sylvaneth, and Beastclaw Raiders are Extremely Good. Most of the new/updated armies are less oppressive but competitive. This is excluding Ironjawz and Dwarves, which sound weak/see little play. Few seem to play the old armies in tournaments except a recent Tomb King list abusing a Leader ability to spam other leader abilities. There is now talk of banning old armies from tournaments over less scrutinized balance/point allocation and unforseen abusive interactions. I think this is dumb because AoS is fundamentally a bad tournament game to start, and stakes seem low to exclude underplayed armies just because people can't practice against them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's hard to compare them because all the factions are mashed up and the lines between armies are super fuzzy.

The newer armies tend to get more love because GW likes money so they generally get more options for mortal wounds/formations of deepstrike and movement tricks.

Ogres are big and hit hard and are multiwound. This makes them harder to knock down for battleshock, but if they do fail battleshock tests they really feel it (since battleshock is purely based on model count).
Lizardmen have good bravery but are pretty average all around, with the saurus warriors themselves being fairly weak unless you mass them up. But why do that when you have other options available that can dish it out?

EDIT: Old fantasy was about working with your blocks of infantry and trying to foil your enemies plans. AoS is more about... dumping as many buff on models since they took out half the stats (S, T, I, Ws) that made armies different.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 1, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

LordAbaddon posted:

the newer and more expensive a kit is, the more powerful they are on the TT

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

mango sentinel posted:

There is now talk of banning old armies from tournaments over less scrutinized balance/point allocation and unforseen abusive interactions.

2015 - You can use all of your old Warhammer Fantasy models in the new game!

2017 - I think we should ban all old models

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

tbf there was also a 2016 - Except Those Two gently caress Those Guys.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I am still amazed that Age of Sigmar wasn't actually an elaborate practical joke. I'm even more amazed that GW didn't play it off as a practical joke considering the reception it got.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Possibly relevant: http://newsthump.com/2016/03/01/isis-declares-fatwa-against-warhammer-age-of-sigmar/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Of course it's relevant.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not comfortable empathizing this much with Isis

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Duardinbob Steampants are up next:

Looks like the back end of a blimp. I would legit buy a blimp. Blimps are awesome.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Whatever it is, the bloodbloodboi seems very enthusiastic to meet it

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Duardinbob Steampants are up next:

Looks like the back end of a blimp. I would legit buy a blimp. Blimps are awesome.

It's totally a duarden Warjack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I plunge further into the Mortal Realms.

Everything will be square based for Kings of War but I did give GW money. I expect skeletal admonishment at any time.

• Locked thread