Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

I plunge further into the Mortal Realms.

Everything will be square based for Kings of War but I did give GW money. I expect skeletal admonishment at any time.

Why not buy the Forest Spirit Warhost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Why not buy the Forest Spirit Warhost?

I don't know what that is. There was the Wargrove Christmas special box but it's gone.

Edit: I looked it up. I already bought Treemen and Dryads back at the end of 8th. This is all new stuff.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 2, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

I expect skeletal admonishment at any time.

ILL KILL YOU MOTHERFUKCER!!!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

:allears:

It's nice to know you care. Love ya, big guy.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Moola posted:

*autistic skeletal chattering*

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

TKIY posted:

Everything will be square based for Kings of War but I did give GW money. I expect skeletal admonishment at any time.

Ugh goddamn I don't like the Everqueen. Just two different models attached to each other via copy->paste in Zbrush or whatever they use.

Also how the gently caress do you plan to transport it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Ugh goddamn I don't like the Everqueen. Just two different models attached to each other via copy->paste in Zbrush or whatever they use.

Also how the gently caress do you plan to transport it?

I mostly play in my basement so I likely won't.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
transport it to the trash where it belongs :madmax:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was considering getting the Everqueen if it was at some reasonable price of ~$30-40 for painting and displaying but I'd be afraid of even transporting it to a local convention for a painting contest.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TKIY posted:

The only truly unforgivable sin here is those drat dice. Otherwise I honestly really like the hunter models.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I guess it's better than buying KoW models and using them to play age of sigmar

buying GW dice though :stare:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I guess it's better than buying KoW models and using them to play age of sigmar

buying GW dice though :stare:

Cheap lovely models for a cheap lovely game?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bombogenesis posted:

The only truly unforgivable sin here is those drat dice. Otherwise I honestly really like the hunter models.

woah, i didnt notice the dice. thats loving twisted tkiy

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

woah, i didnt notice the dice. thats loving twisted tkiy

Yeah I dunno what happened there. I think once you are already sending money off for GW product, it loses all sense of value. It can't possibly be real, so whats another $17. This was all ordered while drunk as well.

At this point, the spiral is pretty much as downward as it gets. I hope you all enjoy the ride.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TKIY posted:

It was getting better then it got closed.

Bottom line the game still has glaring flaws, shitposting is not going to go away, so AoS posters need a thick skin.

I'm really only playing it out of lack of other fantasy options so I'm posting about it with salty as gently caress attitude. Maybe it will win me over if GH2 goes further than the first one did.

The games I have played so far we have used the points system and the "Rule of 1" and they seem to work pretty well. We are having fun at least.

On another note - I was at one of our local game stores watching a couple of guys play and this guy had a beautiful Sigmar army...

Loved the wings on those last guys.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 2, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly the sigmarine faces are still the thing that takes the aesthetic down for me. Muscle-molded armor can work as a look with the right helmet but as it stands they, combined with the default color scheme, really do look too much like an army of C3-POs.

That's a really good paint job though. Even if I feel they could stand a headswap.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Xarbala posted:

Honestly the sigmarine faces are still the thing that takes the aesthetic down for me. Muscle-molded armor can work as a look with the right helmet but as it stands they, combined with the default color scheme, really do look too much like an army of C3-POs.

That's a really good paint job though. Even if I feel they could stand a headswap.

Yeah I am NOT a fan of the helmets at all. I have some people using bare heads on them - which I actually prefer.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The thing that frustrates me is seeing so much talent put into something that is, if we're being generous, mediocre in all regards.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ghost Hand posted:

Yeah I am NOT a fan of the helmets at all. I have some people using bare heads on them - which I actually prefer.

Great up until the point where switching out the heads disqualifies your army from whatever dumbfuck events GW runs because those heads are not Genuine Games Workshop Hobby Products (tm).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sometimes the exaggerated cartoony aesthetic works. I mean, it obviously works, entire gaming IPs have been built on cartoon aesthetics. Like that orc wyvern that looks like it was inspired by a MonHun monster? MonHun is actually cool as hell, good pick art guys. The execution can be lazy as hell though, like some of that CAD posing.

I mean I'll aim for the low hanging fruit jokes as much as anybody else in the death thread and am not a fan of GW in general but tbh, to AoS players, you do you, guys.

Ghost Hand posted:

The Errant-Questor did a pretty good job of showing off the bareheaded look so I can see that working out.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
weirdo deathmasks should be reserved for special dudes in your army, not standard issue. if they wanted to do the muscled cuirass they shouldve gone the whole way and gave em corinthian style helms or something similar. also get rid of those dumbass wow pauldrons because holy poo poo

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I think the sigmarine models are a good example of almost getting a great design. As it is the head's ruin any potential and require a head swap, and if they just had messed with the proportions a little bit (not being so fat, shoulders people can actually see over) then they might have been really good models.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The sigmarines are literally a result of a designer being told to copy Warmachine and Blizzard aesthetics

the OP image is spot on

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would be down with sigmarines more if they had the white, gold, purple scheme that looks so nice. Not that I'm currently really loving that scheme on my models or anything.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Moola posted:

The sigmarines are literally a result of a designer being told to copy Warmachine and Blizzard aesthetics

the OP image is spot on

As someone who had played over a decade of WoW, this is why I like them.

Still looking for third party Knight heads I like for them though.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Drone posted:

Great up until the point where switching out the heads disqualifies your army from whatever dumbfuck events GW runs because those heads are not Genuine Games Workshop Hobby Products (tm).

Could you not use various Space Marine heads.. I know many of them do not have bionics and such on them.

Since we are trying to get this thread started and actually productive for AoS... I'll repost my Chaos army. This was painted by my friend Colin (legalizedmischief is his facebook page). I did the basing. I have too much poo poo to paint so I am starting to outsource large portions of things.

In addition to this - I am using a lot of Tzeentch demons that I have for my 40k Army.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 2, 2017

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
thats pretty absurd if youve already bought a bunch of overpriced gw crap and decided to use third party bits to make them look less dumb that it would disqualify you from playing in a gw tourney

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I've been using the bare heads from the Deathwatch kit alongside a mix of Statuesque's lady heads for my Stormcast. There's a tiny bionic bit over the ear of the Deathwatch guys, but that's easily cut away and sculpted over. Makes them look so much less homogenious.

thats pretty absurd if youve already bought a bunch of overpriced gw crap and decided to use third party bits to make them look less dumb that it would disqualify you from playing in a gw tourney

Official line is still about 75% of the model has to be Citadel in GW events, so a headswap or pre-sculpted base is fine.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GW basically never runs its own tournaments except dipping a toe like once last year. IIRC official GW event rules allow conversions but specify any single model has to be 51% GW product, as determined by a judge eyeballing it. A third party head won't disqualify you.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Unfortunately GW is showing its ugly head at Adepticon this year, and in force. They bought up a ridiculous amount of table space for Age of Sigmar tournaments and made it tough for other games to find tables to accommodate their players. Our guy has been fighting tooth and nail just to secure us spots for 30 players for our 9th Age tournament. but I'm worried about what might have had to have been cut just to get us those.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Deino posted:

Unfortunately GW is showing its ugly head at Adepticon this year, and in force.

I see this as a good thing. They are working hard to work with the community again under their new leadership... blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ghost Hand posted:

I see this as a good thing. They are working hard to work with the community again under their new leadership... blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

Well it's potentially good. Best case scenario they listen to players and pay attention to how the game is actually being played.

If it's still the same old GW...

Time will tell.

I just really wish they'd look more at the MTG model and hire the ITC guys into a DCI equivalent.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I was in my local game store today, and noticed they had a set of Stormfront Eternal Warscroll Cards for sale, which is I think a fantastic idea, especially if they're anything like the ones from the Storm of Sigmar mini-starter box. Flipping through a codex to find unit rules is Tedious and Sucks, and i'd absolutely pay some bucks for the convenience of pre-made unit cards and tokens.
They're something i'd hoped GW would get around to doing for a while, and I certainly hope it catches on and sticks around.

It's these things, if you're wondering

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Texmo posted:

I was in my local game store today, and noticed they had a set of Stormfront Eternal Warscroll Cards for sale, which is I think a fantastic idea, especially if they're anything like the ones from the Storm of Sigmar mini-starter box. Flipping through a codex to find unit rules is Tedious and Sucks, and i'd absolutely pay some bucks for the convenience of pre-made unit cards and tokens.
They're something i'd hoped GW would get around to doing for a while, and I certainly hope it catches on and sticks around.

It's these things, if you're wondering

How big are those in inches? I really like the Malifaux rules cards which are nice business card sized references.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Fifty bucks though?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

TKIY posted:

Fifty bucks though?

/en-NZ/

It's New Zealand Monopoly Bucks (with bogus Shipping Tax)

And, come on, this is not a hobby for people who make wise financial decisions.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Texmo posted:

/en-NZ/

It's New Zealand Monopoly Bucks (with bogus Shipping Tax)

And, come on, this is not a hobby for people who make wise financial decisions.

or wise gaming decisions.

And stop calling "paying money for Games Workshop stuff" a Hobby.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Renfield posted:

or wise gaming decisions.

And stop calling "paying money for Games Workshop stuff" a Hobby.

You're assuming that Tom Kirby was making A Factual Statement when he said that the hobby was Purchasing Jewel-Like Objects of Wonder (as opposed to assembling, painting, collecting, and playing dumb games with 'adult' toys, which is what most people mean when they refer to 'this hobby'), and believing Tom Kirby is a bit worrisome.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm not quite over the faces on the sigmarines either, but I think they look a lot better in person. I haven't played the game yet so I won't comment on how it plays, but I really love the box set. It gives you a ton of really nice looking models for not much money. I've easily had more fun painting these so far than any of the previous 40k boxes I've bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

This is all I can think of whenever I look at Sigmarine models, sorry.

(those are some really sweet paint jobs, though, Ghost Hand)

• Locked thread