Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dr. Gargunza posted:

This is all I can think of whenever I look at Sigmarine models, sorry.

(those are some really sweet paint jobs, though, Ghost Hand)

Not chubby enough to be a Sigmarine, needs to eat at least another 500 Big Macs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Not chubby enough to be a Sigmarine, needs to eat at least another 500 Big Macs.

Hey, it was 1981, everyone was on cocaine.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Ghost Hand posted:

I see this as a good thing. They are working hard to work with the community again under their new leadership... blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

The point I was bringing up is that GW is forcing other games out of the available space, though. That's a clearly predatory move in an environment that's previously been about showcasing as many games to as many people as possible. GW is trying to turn Adepticon into a GW event, instead of an industry-wide tabletop wargaming event.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deino posted:

The point I was bringing up is that GW is forcing other games out of the available space, though. That's a clearly predatory move in an environment that's previously been about showcasing as many games to as many people as possible. GW is trying to turn Adepticon into a GW event, instead of an industry-wide tabletop wargaming event.

GW is the biggest game in town, want to promote their product (which players have been begging them to better support) and Adepticon presumably has finite event space. What's your solution?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Have their own event

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Have their own event

With blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the event.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Moola posted:

Have their own event

thank you based boneman

Exactly. Games Day had been a thing for so long and already had a significant reputation behind it. I see no reason why they couldn't' just start including tournaments at Games Day as well as the other events they hold there. The 40k and Age of Sigmar events at Adepticon have been going just fine without their involvement. Obviously the Adepticon runners could have refused GW's money if they really believed in keeping Adepticon equal-opportunity, but I'm sure GW has enough to throw around that it would have been silly for them to refuse.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Next you'll tell me WotC should skip GenCon

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If GW fills its game tables at Adepticon, then they're demonstrating the reality that a big chunk of Adepticon attendees want to play at those tables. If Adepticon finds it hasn't got room for all the tables of different games that it could fill, it should seek a larger venue. It's not GW's fault or problem if Adepticon's space is too limited.

Basically the problem here isn't Adepticon bending over for GW, it's Adepticon lacking sufficient space.

That said, GW definitely should revive Games Day, not to mention featuring game play at the Golden Daemon Awards. There's a large and eager fan base that used to love going to those things, back when they weren't just charging exorbitant fees for the privilege of getting to stand in line and buy things at 100% retail prices.

I attended the GDAs in 1990 and 1991 as a teenager and doing so firmly cemented my lifelong interest in their products. I got to watch and participate in games, try a speed painting contest (for free), bid at an auction for bags of random minis and loot (very generously stuffed with good stuff, I paid like ten pounds and got probably 40 pounds worth of stuff), goggle at the GDA finalist minis in display cases, and meet famous GW people face to face to ask questions and chat. It was epic. ...literally, they were playing Epic! They had a huge game of Epic going and you could go up and take a turn or two, with the guidance of a staffer who knew the rules, and then hand off to the next kid in line.

There was a time when GW was amazing at capturing and retaining customers, and having their own conventions was a big part of that.

But also showcasing their games at other gaming conventions is a very good idea. From a corporate standpoint, it's good to get the attention of gamers who aren't already walking in to your stores. From a game development perspective, it's an opportunity to get independent playtesting and feedback from seasoned gamers, float trial balloons to gauge interest in various product possibilities, preview stuff before it comes out to build interest and excitement, and get your staff to take in the status quo in the wider gaming universe so you can understand your market competition better, identify and adopt advancements in game design theory, and so on. It's definitely a good move by GW and it seems absurd to me to complain about them taking steps towards doing it.

Age of Sigmar is still a bad game. So another possible side effect is exposing Age of Sigmar players showing up to Adepticon to other better games being played next door.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
insofar as adepticon has limited space and they have to choose how to divvy it up, it's perfectly legitimate for people to complain about how they choose to divvy it up

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Adepticon has a pretty concrete idea of the demand for different games, and we do not. GW money will likely tip the scales of triage at the edges but I doubt they're effectively cancelling 9th Age so GW can have empty tables with Sigmar banners dangling from them.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Age of Sigmar is still a bad game.

the all new age of slgmar thread: Age of Sigmar is still a bad game.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

I'm mostly just angry because our events got shitcanned to the equivalent of a closet somewhere, when previously we'd been in the big, open ballroom where plenty of gamers could come by and see our game being played, ask questions, etc. I'm confident GW will have no problem filling their slots, as I'm sure they've been advertising their appearance at Adepticon more than well enough.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Deino posted:

I'm mostly just angry because our events got shitcanned to the equivalent of a closet somewhere, when previously we'd been in the big, open ballroom where plenty of gamers could come by and see our game being played, ask questions, etc. I'm confident GW will have no problem filling their slots, as I'm sure they've been advertising their appearance at Adepticon more than well enough.

What events got shunted? (Genuine question as I may come check them out.)

Natrapx
Jan 13, 2010

The x is for xenogamy

SteelMentor posted:

I've been using the bare heads from the Deathwatch kit alongside a mix of Statuesque's lady heads for my Stormcast. There's a tiny bionic bit over the ear of the Deathwatch guys, but that's easily cut away and sculpted over. Makes them look so much less homogenious.

Official line is still about 75% of the model has to be Citadel in GW events, so a headswap or pre-sculpted base is fine.

Holy poo poo i've been panicking about that for so long. I'm making a Mousilon themed death army but using plain, metal heater/kite shields from another manufacturer. I thought everything had to be 100% GW, but was still going to try and get away with it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Guys, remember this? Can't quote it because the thread was closed.

Comrade Merf posted:

So the latest version of a fan made skirmish/campaign ruleset called Hinterlands came out a few days ago and it caught on like a wildfire in my local meta so I'll drop a link for it here as well.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4845563/Zandronum/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

If someone had told me a year ago that the game I most looked forward to playing in the week was AoS I would have laughed in your face but here I am. 2017 is turning out to be a really weird year.

Did any of you guys try it out? Is it a pleasant way to spend time, or like being stabbed in the testicles?

Because the £20 starter plus the free model with White Dwarf gives you starting forces for Stormfronts and Blood Blooders.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mango sentinel posted:

Adepticon has a pretty concrete idea of the demand for different games, and we do not. GW money will likely tip the scales of triage at the edges but I doubt they're effectively cancelling 9th Age so GW can have empty tables with Sigmar banners dangling from them.

I'm protesting by not playing any of their games. In fact, I'm playing Aetherium! Everyone should join me on Saturday.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So after playing 40k for the first time in several years, I am now feeling that it probably isn't the best game to get my fiancee into the wargaming scene, at least right now. (mainly due to how many rules must be remembered per army) I am kind of thinking of picking up two start collecting packs (tree dudes and lizard men) instead in order to get her into the game.

Anyone got any tips for how either of these armies play, or how AOS plays in general?

(It doesn't help that her 40k army of choice is Orks, which aren't exactly even mediocre right now)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
unless you really want those treemen and lizards, spire of dawn is a much better deal if you want to dip your toe into the muck. i managed to get mine for 70 bucks on ebay, thats less than a buck per figure

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Is there anything in the rumor mill about undead and specifically skeletons and tomb kings?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Booyah- posted:

Is there anything in the rumor mill about undead and specifically skeletons and tomb kings?

What are Tomb Kings?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Booyah- posted:

Nothing so far. The rumour engine thing on Warham Community the other week was a tombstone, though that could be anything in Warhams.

Lore-wise, Nagash is hiding at home after striking a deal with Archaon to backstab Sigmar (again) while Neferata's doing all the busy work of keeping the Realm of Death from being completely over-run with Chaos Warbands and Flesh Eaters. Stab in the dark, we could see a expanded Vampire faction with Neferata (And Manfred, maybe, if he can keep his betrayal boner in his pants) as head honcho.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SteelMentor posted:

Nothing so far. The rumour engine thing on Warham Community the other week was a tombstone, though that could be anything in Warhams.

Lore-wise, Nagash is hiding at home after striking a deal with Archaon to backstab Sigmar (again) while Neferata's doing all the busy work of keeping the Realm of Death from being completely over-run with Chaos Warbands and Flesh Eaters. Stab in the dark, we could see a expanded Vampire faction with Neferata (And Manfred, maybe, if he can keep his betrayal boner in his pants) as head honcho.

ah, I aee. the nagash model kind of sucks imo. it would be great to see a revamp of undead, similar to how ghouls got that

did anyone love pure ghouls anyway? just play undead

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They're definitely an interesting faction. I've only played against them a few times, but their replenishment abilities their heroes throw out make them surprisingly resilient. Their lore seems pretty neat as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So how is the Disciples of Tzeentch Battletome holding up in the wild? It seems cool from a distance and reading it makes Age of Sigmar sound like its going in a direction I like.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I've played against it once. The destiny dice are pretty bullshit, it seems to be a very strong book overall with lots of magic and mortal wound potential.

It was not fun to face with a compendium Army.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Can somebody who bought that new Stormcast Eternals battletome tell me if the Celestial Knights have their own rules? I've had the AoS starter set forever and finally want to get painting and their color scheme is my favorite from what I've seen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd be surprised if the sigmarine orders were defined enough to have their own rules at this point, though it seems inevitable given they're basically fantasy SMs.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell a bunch of them so have their own rules in the newest book, actually. It was all over BoLS a month or two ago

E: For those curious the answer to my question is no, but the Tempest Lords have a similar scheme and do have rules.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 5, 2017

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Ghost Hand posted:

What events got shunted? (Genuine question as I may come check them out.)

:unsmith:

All of the 9th Age events are being held in the Nirvana room this year. This includes the Warbands and Big Brawl events for Thursday, the Team Tournament on Friday, and the Grand Tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Preview for the AoS app is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/06/your-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-app-updated/

Seems to be an optional side-grade; adds the Match Play points, lets you make customizable/printable army lists.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Pendent posted:

Can somebody who bought that new Stormcast Eternals battletome tell me if the Celestial Knights have their own rules? I've had the AoS starter set forever and finally want to get painting and their color scheme is my favorite from what I've seen.

8 of the forces do, but Celestial knights are not one of them.

They all have little perks based on certain units/battalions used.

Hammer of Sigmar
Hallowed Knights
Celestial Vindicators
Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Knights Excelsior
Celestial Warbringers
Tempest Lords
Astral Templars

Deino posted:

:unsmith:

All of the 9th Age events are being held in the Nirvana room this year. This includes the Warbands and Big Brawl events for Thursday, the Team Tournament on Friday, and the Grand Tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Having never been to Adepticon is that a bad room or something?

Black_Nexus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 6, 2017

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

It's a pretty fancy hotel, so I don't know if I could describe any room as bad. It's just off to the side and fairly private, rather than the big-open space of one of the main ballrooms. While it does mean that it'll likely be a bit quieter than the ballrooms, it also means we'll receive less foot traffic, and get less exposure to encourage potential new players.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, I finally bit the bullet. I've picked up the new Stormcast Eternals Battletome, the General's Handbook and ordered the Start Collecting: Stormcast Eternals to go with my starter box.

It's all because I decided I really liked how Stormcast look with the Tempest Lords color scheme but as I've been reading more and more about the game I think it looks like a ton of fun.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Whats better at 1000 points, nurgle daemons or mortals?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

Whats better at 1000 points, nurgle daemons or mortals?

Daemons are tough but do less damage, but there is no reason you can't mix them unless you are playing rotbringers

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Black_Nexus posted:

Daemons are tough but do less damage, but there is no reason you can't mix them unless you are playing rotbringers

Wouldn't that miss out on the synergy of a pure list? It seems like synergy is king in this game.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

Wouldn't that miss out on the synergy of a pure list? It seems like synergy is king in this game.

If you are doing the Epidemius list then yeah I'd stay pure daemons.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone know how often "temporarily out of stock" webstore stuff gets restocked?

I've got some Skaven dudes I want to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone know how often "temporarily out of stock" webstore stuff gets restocked?

I've got some Skaven dudes I want to buy.

got some bad news for you

• Locked thread