Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

GreenMarine posted:

Some recently completed things:

Have 2 palladors finished and the third one waiting. Probably will finish the Gorechosen characters first.
Those are some lovely birdies, why they got bundled with sigmarines is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Saint Drogo posted:

Those are some lovely birdies, why they got bundled with sigmarines is beyond me.

Sigmarines seem to be the birdy or dog/birdy army. It's pretty much their only redeeming feature.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

vintagepurple posted:

I really, really, really want to like Age of Sigmar and give GW money but like... it's bad. It doesn't do it for me. The game is bad, the lore is bad, and well, if the Perry Bros can sell that many quality plastic figures for so cheap then GW certainly could if they respected us. I miss you, Warhammer. I miss the ICs and Garagehammer and being psyched for 8th ed. I even miss Gdubs. gently caress you, Sigmar.

AoS is in fact very good

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

Some recently completed things:

Have 2 palladors finished and the third one waiting. Probably will finish the Gorechosen characters first.

I know this isn't the painting thread but how did you create the blue water/liquid stuff on the base? That looks like the exact type of thing I'm after for my Tzeentch.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

RhomboidSphinx posted:

I know this isn't the painting thread but how did you create the blue water/liquid stuff on the base? That looks like the exact type of thing I'm after for my Tzeentch.

Here is what you do:

- Paint the area with temple guard blue. (It's a very bright blue.)
- Drybrush with white.
- Wash with Guilliman Blue glaze.

Then do anything else to finish the base and seal the miniature.

After sealing:

- Add water FX and let dry for 24 hours. I use the water FX from secret weapon miniatures.

The water FX will dry and create a water effect over the surface of whatever paint you use. You want to add it after you varnish otherwise the varnish will rob the water FX of its power. It's very thick, so just drip it carefully over the area. It has a lot of surface tension, so can work fine on regions that don't have rims, but just add it carefully. If you add too much too quickly it'll spill over the edge of the base. If you use it to fill a region that has a rim, don't add more than a half inch deep or it'll have trouble drying.

Water FX has no color itself, so you can do it over green or orange or whatever you want your liquid to look like.

Also, you can add more steps to the drybrushing of color if you want more variety in your water, but for these small patches on bases this formula works well for me. The end result will have enough noise in it to look like disturbed water.

Another water FX tip: you can mix it with washes and blood for the blood god to make a grody effect for Khorne models:

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 27, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Neat info on the Balloon Dwarves:

quote:

The Ironclad literally acts like your flagship. You can use it to send flag signals to buff other units that see it. The example they gave added 3" to weapon range.
Ironclads can also have their own Artefacts. The one they had lets the Ironclad fire that artefact against any unit that comes within half an inch of the ship after a charge.
There are different types of bombs. One bomb forces the unit you hit to attack at the end of the combat phase, one just does damage, and there is one that hits flying enemies that get to close.
Both Ironclads and Frigates can carry any unit with the "Skyfarer" keyword. The Ironclad in the battlereport carries two units and 3 heroes.

On the topic of flying enemies, one of the pre-made battle traits you can have lets you rerloll 1s to hit and wound against flying targets, get auto 6s for their run roll and their ships ignore mortal wounds on a roll of 6.
White Dwarf says "Instead of getting a single trait like most other factions, you choose your armys interpretation of the Kharadron Code from a trio of lists, giving you an Artycle, an Amendment and a Footnote, which allow you to interpret the code to your own preferences".
There are pre-done ones themed around the major skyports as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Second amendment only amendment.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLNCXEytB4

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Hey, I don't even agree with this guy's message, but I gotta say, this is tight, dope, fresh, and probably phat. Good stuff man.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

scuba school sucks posted:

Hey, I don't even agree with this guy's message, but I gotta say, this is tight, dope, fresh, and probably phat. Good stuff man.

are you saying you dont believe the illuminati controls everything?

RhomboidSphinx
Jun 17, 2013

This is perfect, thank you. Your painting skills are fantastic by the way! :)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am thinking about buying Sylvaneth mostly for hobby aspect. I would like to end up with a viable army.

Working slowly towards:
2 x Starters
5 x Kurnoth boxes
2 x Tree Revenants boxes

This mirrors a list I found, and contains the models i liked.

Does this look reasonable?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

I am thinking about buying Sylvaneth mostly for hobby aspect. I would like to end up with a viable army.

Working slowly towards:
2 x Starters
5 x Kurnoth boxes
2 x Tree Revenants boxes

This mirrors a list I found, and contains the models i liked.

Does this look reasonable?

You need Trees

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

mango sentinel posted:

You need Trees

Syvaneth Wyldwoods?

Thanks. Now i recall they can teleport and slide around in those forests.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 29, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Buy one Wildwood and then cut other bases out of MDF or something.

Your purchase list looks like mine, but I NB also grabbed Drycha and Alarielle because I have issues.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have some goon-made Worldsmith Industries forest bases i was planning on using. Is there a certain size they must be?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Theoretically to keep it fair the base should be identical, but obviously it depends on how much of a stickler your opponent is.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

My game buddy will probably play AoS to his dying day, so I have to rattle along every couple months and come up with something against his Ogres, or maybe Dwarves or Chaos.

2k points. Is a Lords of the Clan warscroll battalion interesting to play with?
4x Treelord Ancient (one is the general, using Glamourweave and Gift of Ghyran)
3x Treelord

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If it's for a general forest being used as terrain it's fine to use whatever.

If it's for a bonus super special forest you get as pert of your formation rules, you really should use something which has the same footprint as the official woods otherwise you end up with the Folding Fortress problem from 8th ed (where assholes deliberately misinterpreted the 'place an extra Watchtower' as 'bring along a loving 20 story skyscraper and fill it with dudes').

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Zark the Damned posted:

otherwise you end up with the Folding Fortress problem from 8th ed

Can you go into more detail? This sounds entertaining.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

Can you go into more detail? This sounds entertaining.

In Fantasy 8th Edition, there was an expensive magic item called Fozzrick's Folding Fortress that allowed the buyer to place down a piece of terrain equivalent to a Citadel Watchtower before the game starts. The building rules were so heavily skewed toward those residing inside the building and many armies' units could be made virtually invincible by placing them in this tower on top of an objective, or if you had to kill them in order to get victory points. Ever tried to shift 50 zombies from a tower in batches limited to 10 at a time while the zombies are mechanically incapable of leaving the tower and your opponent can resurrect more than you kill each turn? This only gets more ridiculous as you put different units inside this building. Like, for instance, the Dogs of War unit Long Drong's Slayer Pirates, a unit of piratical dwarven slayers armed with braces of pistols. Shoot your pistols at your enemy as they approach. If they charge you, you get a stand and shoot reaction from any distance because you're a dwarf. Because you're a unit of dwarf slayers not only are you unbreakable from combat, but you're also highly competent and may even make your enemies flee. Even if you lose, because you're unbreakable, your opponent has to back off of the building 1". Now you get two more rounds of shooting as they try to advance on you again. Ad infinitum.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The dwarf rule was you didn't get the negative modifier for standing and shooting, not that you could stand and shoot from any distance

That also reminds me I have a slayer pirate that I should paint

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Ah, I'm mixing up special rules in my old age. Braces of Pistols had Quick to fire, which would allow them to Stand and Shoot at any range. The dwarf rule to ignore the penalty for doing so is just gravy.

Show me that dwarf.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am so happy Kings of War did away with this nonsense wholesale.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
8th had a mix of good and awful stuff, but the building rules were the worst unless you house ruled them to cap model counts in them.

Plus it protected you from mortars and purple suns since they only hit d6 models.

Although Skaven could blow buildings up

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

"Right, so the objective is to hold the building in the center of the board."

"I ring a bell so loud that I blow up the building."

"What's the objective now?"

???

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Deino posted:

"Right, so the objective is to hold the building in the center of the board."

"I ring a bell so loud that I blow up the building."

"What's the objective now?"

???

I actually really love the idea of this stuff in theory, it's just that in practice in never ends up being fun and ends up having a ton of unintended consequences.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the 8th edition building rules are hilarious. A single building can hold a single unit of any size. The actual models have to be normal sized, they can't hold like cavalry or monsters etc. but a 100-rat skaven unit is juuuust fine.

Of course the rules also explicitly say that players can agree that very small buildings are impassible terrain instead, or break big ones up into multiple pieces (like a castle might have two towers and a wall, each of which is a "building" for rules purposes). What they don't say (and therefore presumably you can't do, even though of course you can, you idiots, it's a game, you can make up house rules) is that you can define an upper limit to how many models can be in a garrisoning unit. So I think probably most players didn't.

The funniest part is the magic and template weapons rules. While buildings offer "no additional protection" against magic, they actually do: templates only hit D6 models. Period. You can put an entire large template vortex or something onto a building and you hit only D6 models with it, no matter what.

So even if your dragon trots up and puts his lips to an arrow slit and fills the building with an inferno, he can only cook one to six duders. Hah.

Deino posted:

Ah, I'm mixing up special rules in my old age. Braces of Pistols had Quick to fire, which would allow them to Stand and Shoot at any range. The dwarf rule to ignore the penalty for doing so is just gravy.

Show me that dwarf.

Buildings did limit shooting from within them to no more than five models per floor of the building, unless you agreed otherwise beforehand. (And that's where the 20 story tower advantage thing comes from, of course). Why no, it doesn't take extra turns for those dwarven pistoliers to climb up all those floors, that'd be silly!

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

By comparison, the 9th Age rules team realized quickly how silly buildings could be if they tried to make them similar to their previous function. Now, they're pieces of glorified Impassible Terrain. Certain unit types that aren't too large can move through the buildings provided they're fast enough that all models can fit on the other side. And if enough of the unit moves through it, they'll gain Hard Cover. Easy peasy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Apparently the rebranded ghoul/strigoi army, Flesh Eater Courts is maybe supposed to be the undead, crazy remnants of the brets :unsmith:

Thats kinda cool although maybe not for bret players, before fantasy exploded I wanted to make a mousillon-skaven army... now i could for real if i just played AoS :gbsmith:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I ordered 2 Sylvaneth Starters, 4 Kurnoth Hunter boxes, and 1 Tree Revenant box. I will order forests when my wallet heals.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

I ordered 2 Sylvaneth Starters, 4 Kurnoth Hunter boxes, and 1 Tree Revenant box. I will order forests when my wallet heals.

Hunters are the poo poo. Prepare for whining from your opponents.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Should I feel bad for buying a 130 dollar dung beetle?

... cuz I sure as hell don't. :fap:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I bought one friendo and yes we should.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Should I feel bad for buying a 130 dollar dung beetle?

... cuz I sure as hell don't. :fap:

this isnt the kingdom death thread

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Now that Age of Sigmar has grown the beard a bit. I feel like giving it a chance.

Thinking of going Skaven cause they are cheap compared to everything else from what I can see. Spires of Dawn looks like a good deal to get started for that. (Plus I get some elves that I can use to play with some friends as well.)

What would a good AoS Skaven army look like to you guys. Kind of bad at seeing how synergy works.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

What would a good AoS Skaven army look like to you guys.

does not compute

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

What would a good AoS Skaven army look like to you guys. Kind of bad at seeing how synergy works.

Stormvermin and Stormfiends seem to be the competitive choices but I don't know much about them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Browsing lists for it a few weeks ago I saw a lot of horde type stuff with lots of Clanrats, Skavenslaves, Plague Monks, and Stormvermin or Battalion based Pestilens. If anyone's got upper table lists from Adepticon I'd like to browse through them, all I've been able to find is Nick Nanivati's winning Daemon list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't play a horde army in a game where you have to move each individual model with a tape measure.

• Locked thread