Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Pendent posted:

Can somebody who bought that new Stormcast Eternals battletome tell me if the Celestial Knights have their own rules? I've had the AoS starter set forever and finally want to get painting and their color scheme is my favorite from what I've seen.

8 of the forces do, but Celestial knights are not one of them.

They all have little perks based on certain units/battalions used.

Hammer of Sigmar
Hallowed Knights
Celestial Vindicators
Anvils of the Heldenhammer
Knights Excelsior
Celestial Warbringers
Tempest Lords
Astral Templars

Deino posted:

:unsmith:

All of the 9th Age events are being held in the Nirvana room this year. This includes the Warbands and Big Brawl events for Thursday, the Team Tournament on Friday, and the Grand Tournament on Saturday and Sunday.

Having never been to Adepticon is that a bad room or something?

Black_Nexus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

Whats better at 1000 points, nurgle daemons or mortals?

Daemons are tough but do less damage, but there is no reason you can't mix them unless you are playing rotbringers

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Injuryprone posted:

Wouldn't that miss out on the synergy of a pure list? It seems like synergy is king in this game.

If you are doing the Epidemius list then yeah I'd stay pure daemons.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Thundercloud posted:

I like the basic troops and think they'd make a good Frostgrave or Mordheim style force. They also look like they'd paint up nice.

Yeah I can't say I am a huge fan of the big armored guys. I like the big flying boats, although I want to see them in person first.

But that unit of pirate dwarfs, oh yes I am all over that for modeling purposes!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

LordAbaddon posted:

Are the Bloodbound guys any good? I was thinking about buying one of those cheap "babby's first model" kits to paint up for fun (and to potentially use for an rpg mini) and wanted to know what I was in for if I woke up one day with an army.

They are pretty good, they get a new book this month which will almost certainly increase their power or utility at least

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
8th had a mix of good and awful stuff, but the building rules were the worst unless you house ruled them to cap model counts in them.

Plus it protected you from mortars and purple suns since they only hit d6 models.

Although Skaven could blow buildings up

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Xlorp posted:

Ogre buddy now has a Disciples of Tzeentch army. I assume that means he has ample arrays of obnoxious options at his disposal. Any words of wisdom for a treehugger?

Shoot the skyfires dead, always. Kill those assholes and the big chicken.

Also kill the stupid birddude disc character

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

dexefiend posted:

I need to buy bases, like $70 dollars worth at GW prices. Anyone have a good source for them? (Plastic or MDF as long as they look pretty close.)

I buy most of my bases from Aliexpress, you get plastic bases like GW's for so much cheaper.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Kroot arms are actually really good for converting Jezzails, they have those long rear end rifles.

I've seen people use the guns from the basic mechanicus troops as well, Skaven and weird technological stuff works well

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Leperflesh posted:

I was at a swap meet, he was piecing them out so I bought like three chariots or something for what he was asking. Maybe $15. Then after the meet, I see him loading stuff in his car so I go over and say "look I know this is massively lowballing, I don't think it's a fair price, but it's what I can afford: how about $70 for everything?" and he didn't hesitate. Dude was just horribly demoralized and wanted out.

So I think honestly I paid more like $100 for everything? But if you discount 3 chariots it was $70. Maybe someone else at the meet bought one or two items, I don't know.

He probably got a lot of his stuff second-hand too. Almost none was painted, but he'd assembled a lot of cavalry - obviously had been playing 7th edition with a cav-heavy list, which was exactly crap in 8th.

I figure at the time I got probably $500+ retail worth of minis, and today it'd be worth three or more times that if I sold it all off piecemeal.

That guy wasn't wrong about wanted to get rid of his tomb kings when 8th hit, they were hot garbage aside from the Khalida archer army

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Moose-Alini posted:

So two years ago I was gifted the AoS starter kit right when it came out. I never played a war game or painted minis so was pretty psyched. I ran out and got a random paint set and painted up the stormcast, first things I ever painted, and got an army of these

After two years of trying to learn to paint I got sick of these ugly abominations mocking me. Last week I started rehabilitating them, stripped some but just added on to others and am really pleased with the progress

I am under no illusions that I am a great painter, but seeing the evolution so starkly is really cool. I feel like I could take these to a game without being embarrassed.

I actually like the stormcasts now as models, especially the retributors.

Looking good man!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Plaguebearers want to be in big units, 20 or 30. They exist to not die, and the 20+ bonus is amazing. -2 to shoot them and -1 to hit in close combat.

Blightkings are great, and also a totally safe choice.

One of the top nurgle things currently is units of 20 or 30 marauders(With the mark of nurgle), with a warshrine of nurgle and the nurgle hero that gives out the 5+ ward.

So your 60 point for 10 troops have a 5+, 5++, 6++ save(s).

All of the nurgle daemons are good, you just basically need epidemius if you want to go heavy daemon.

All the pestilen stuff is good, but their synergies means you need to field a bunch of their units/heroes for it to be effective.

And plagueclaw catapults make baby jesus cry they are so good.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

NORTH-HALL posted:

Can night gobbos bring any fight to these new armies?

A lot of people field mixed moonclan and Beastclaw raiders, for tons of little troops to stop the big angry monsters that shoot 6 mortal wounds at a time from getting mobbed.

Also Fanatics wreck poo poo, although they usually die right after

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I'm very new to Sigmar (and Fantasy), and picked up the Start Collecting Skeletons box with the big dragon mounted dude, and two extra boxes of skeletons on sale.

I have a quick noob rules question regarding the skeletons and black knight/hexwraiths in the boxes -

1) Can the Skeletons mix weapons? I see that it says they can have swords or spears, but can I have a unit of half of each? Would this even be a good idea?

2) Can I mix and match hexwraiths/black knights in a squad? I'd maybe like to pick up the Start Collecting Malignant box to go with these dudes, and if they don't mix and match I ought to plan ahead.

I'm not really looking to power game, I barely even understand basic concepts of the rules.

You usually can't mix weapons in squads, and skeletons can't. I'd go with spears anyway, skeletons are best in big units to just throw out poo poo loads of attacks and the 2" reach helps with that a lot.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Chill la Chill posted:

So you guys probably know the best for this question, but some guy is selling off a bunch of stuff and is asking $800 for it. He says it includes these:

(that's including the terrain table)

plus: 3 boxes of skeleton warriors & coven throne/ mortis engine box & terrorgheist /zombie dragon box, VC 8th edition army box, and death battle tome for AOS. He's asking $800 for the lot and I was wondering how much of a deal this is. I know lol GW prices but my friend and I might split this and use it for KOW or other stuff.

Yeah that is a pretty good deal

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
So glad they are just releasing allegiance abilities for old armies in the new book, will help catch up the power levels a lot.

Well, assuming that a lot of the more abusive units go up in points

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

GreenMarine posted:

The fact that Slaaneshi cults are in there probably means no Slaaneshi army book any time soon.

I think nurgle is coming next, I don't think they know what to do with Slannesh

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

berzerkmonkey posted:

Good lord, putting the plastic Black Orcs/Ardboys together is a pain in the rear end. The "tongue and groove" system they have is terrible and isn't deep enough to work, and certain legs won't work on certain bodies, but there isn't any way to tell until you're gluing them on. You can certainly see the difference between them and the newer Brute models - those things were a pleasure to assemble.

The ardboys are like 8 years old or so I think compared to a brand new kit

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I know. It's just that having the two side-by-side is a real eye-opener.

The new kits for ironjaws are just amazing. So easy to assemble and look so good

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Some army shots from a tournament I was just at, there was a nurgle themed table so I stole it for pictures

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I could use a little help with where to go with my Ironjawz from here. I have the Start Collecting! Ironjawz box, the Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband box and a Megaboss.

In total that's:

15 'Ardboyz
5 Brutes
3 Gore-Gruntas
1 Warchanter
1 Weirdnob
1 Megaboss

I was thinking of getting another box of 'Ardboyz, which would bring my count up to 30, and maybe another box of Brutes? How good are the Gore-Gruntas?

Clearly I need to get a Megaboss on a Maw-krusha.

You almost certainly need a maw-krusha.

And more brutes, one more squad of big pigs wouldn't hurt either.

Gore Grunters are good in the battalions because they can be crazy fast. 2d6 move before your normal move and then charge.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I was thinking an additional Brute unit, 2 more gore gruntas and a maw krusha.

3 Goregruntas gives me the Gorefist, which gives me that free 15" move the first turn.

I fought two ironjaws players over the weekend, and both had turn 1 combat. That army is scary fast

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

muggins posted:

It's possible the IJ movement stuff will change with getting their own alliance trait or whatever, just FYI. I saw some posts on TGA.

I really wonder if they are going to change the basic allegiance traits. Any of the destruction subfactions would have to get an amazing trait to not use the destruction move. And Ditto for death, that extra save is just so good.

And then you have orders, which isn't super great and chaos which is super swingy

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
These little teasing articles are killing me, I need to see the full book

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'll probably get one and only use it for tournaments then.

I AIN'T HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS. *shoots pistols off like a renegade*

Foot of Gork sounds like a good way to lose friends anyway. Reminds me of that old Ogre Kingdoms spell, the Devouring Maw one.

Fist of gork is so hit or miss, I had one game where my friend couldn't get it off at all. And then the next game against my other friend he cast it on turn one and it bounced 8 times

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Brettonians weren't that distinctive from empire I think was one of the biggest issues, since a lot of empire players also fielded a lot of knights.

They also had a lot of issues coming up with newer different types of knights, which I think kind of stands to reason.

Also they aren't bringing back Bretts, they are all Flesh eater courts now!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Atlas Hugged posted:

Brets and Empire were fairly distinct though. Empire had knightly warrior orders, but the impression I got was that they were social orders or geographically specific. The Bret knights represented a single knightly path with feudal responsibilities in between, from a lowly peasant to a revered hermit warrior. In 5e they even got their own formation so they looked unique on the table.

I'd say the bigger issue is in assuming that the army always had to have a new unit to sell and not just in upgrading the kits. As a Bretonnian player back in the day, I'd have killed for a good plastic men at arms kit. I think they got those eventually? But basically with Brets you didn't have to add a bunch of new stuff every time, you just needed to slowly convert the whole range into plastic. The additions of the pegasus knights and the trebuche were pretty cool though.

Ultimately though there were a ton of directions they could have taken the Brets if they had put some thought in them. They could have played up the folklore bit and added in more units like not-Robin Hood, like by giving Repanse a unit of themed retainers or an order that survived in her honor to the current day. They could have added elf or dryad auxiliaries to show the relationship with the Wood Elves. They could have added regional distinctions, like zombie-vampire or coastal-sailor or a rebellious modernizing faction. Instead they double downed on the feudal angle which made them dreary and then eventually made it so the Lady of the Lake was evil all along? Lame. Not everything has to be grimdark all the time and I think if anything drove people away from the Brets, it was that.

The fluff they made for the fantasy roleplay game was actually super good, and they had separate fluff/stuff for each province. But they only did the one campaign book for them sadly, although Mousillion was quite cool and good.

I was more sad when they got rid of dogs of war than Bretts though

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I think I've hammered out my final list for my Ironjawz. I'll be taking:

Heroes (4)

Orruk Megaboss
Orruk Warchanter
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (Command Trait: Ravager, Artefact: Meteoric Hammerblade)

Units:
Orruk Ardboys x 10
- 3 x Big Choppas
- 7 x Pair of Choppas
Drum & Banner

Orruk Ardboys x 10
- 3 x Big Choppas
- 7 x Pair of Choppas
Drum & Banner

Orruk Brutes x 10
- 2 Gore Choppas

Orruk Gore-Gruntas x 3

Orruk Gore-Gruntas x 3

Battalions:
Ironfist

The ironfist + the ravager trait will let my guys move a minimum of 7" per turn, instead of the normal 4". As this list is, it sits exactly at 2000 points. Should I maybe work in another Weirdnob? Any advice for someone who hasn't played this army before?

I need to get 1 more unit of Brutes, 1 more unit of Gore-Gruntas and the Megaboss on the Maw Krusha and i'm all set.

I'd recommend two units of 5 brutes, not one of 10. For two claws/smashas.

One shaman should be enough, it is often better to arcane shield a unit instead of casting foot too but it varies based on opponent. Foot fucks up stormcast and it is amazing.

I usually prefer either battlebrew or the Talisman of protection on monsters. Battlebrew makes them super killy and the talisman is a protection against mortal wounds which is a great thing

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

Ah yeah, I didn't think of that. But if I run them in 2 of 5, then whatever boss I choose at the leader of the ironfist will die faster, right? If I have them in on a unit of 10 then he'll survive longer?

Both of those sound better. I'll try out the Battlebrew for my first game.

I mean he might die faster, but it usually doesn't happen until they are all in melee anyway.

Allies are gonna be so good for Ironjaws most likely. Getting access to some cheap bodies or some shooting

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

moths posted:

So I was totally turned off of Path of Glory because I didn't want to roll a D6 and add twenty models I don't own to my warband.

Then I looked at it closer in the shop yesterday, and you have the option of just choosing? This is weird.

They changed it a lot when they re-did it

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question regarding unit sizes - sometimes when I play opponents they get extra attacks for having a unit of 20+ or 30+.

Is this army/unit specific, or something found in the grand alliance books?

Do I need to pick up the Grand Alliance: Destruction for my Ironjawz?

No, everything for the ironjaws are in the ironjaws book.

There are units, like skeletons that get extra attacks for 20+

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

richyp posted:

Here's some overly colourful Stormcasts from the Pastel Realm.

Those look drat good, I love bright coloured stormcast

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Percelus posted:

how are warherds these days? that bloodfeast gorgers box looks tempting

One of the younger guys that plays here fields them, and he has wrecked my Seraphon and my Nurgle daemons a couple times(And I've wrecked him too).

They are freight trains of death, they do so much damage if they get to go first but they have little defensive ability.

They will really be helped by allies, with some durability

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
We have a pretty huge AOS group here, but there is also an equally sized 9th age presence.

Both are tiny compared to the resurged 40k though.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

richyp posted:

:same: I'm holding out for self matt-varnishing paints. I don't varnish now and know I should.

-----

Some more AoS virgin questions. I think I get the keywords stuff having just caught up with 40k's version of it, in that there are abilities such as Character X can use Awesome on units with keyword(s). So Khorne Mortals would be models with Khorne and Mortal keywords meaning Khorne Daemons are not covered, but you can take them as units they just won't benefit from the general's ability.

Are there special rules for "pure" Khorne Mortals or "pure" Khorne Daemons that are printed somewhere. I grabbed a copy of the OG Generals Handbook which has the Grand Alliance top level ones but are there (sub)faction ones too that replace them?

In a roundabout way I'm trying to work out how to summon daemons without a wizard because Khorne hates them right, and if I take an unmarked Sorcerer I'd use Grand Alliance: Chaos. Is there a bonus ability in the Blades of Khorne book for keeping it in the Khorne family I'm missing somewhere?

What I've got:

1 x Slaughterpriest: Mortal
5 x Blood warriors: Mortal (have 8 more on sprues)
5 x Bloodreavers:Mortal (not a full unit, but I'll pad up to 10 with ebay bits)
10 x Bloodletters:Daemon
3 x Skullcrushers: Mortal (not built)

Do I get a Daemon Hero too at some point and boost the daemon side, or is there some Khorne wide skill that benefits all Khorne units?

I'm guessing the answer is that I need to buy Blades of Khorne and not to try and build a list from the warscrolls on GW's site?

TLDR: Bloodthirster yay or nay?

Blades of Khorne is what you want.

All khorne is part of the same force now, so you can mix all the daemons and mortals you want. Their abilities just don't affect each other for the most part

I would advise people to not buy stuff this week, wait until next week when the GHB2 hits.

It will be changing a lot of stuff, including some warscrolls so I'd wait and see changes then

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Rhaegar posted:

I'm so confused by all the books for Age of Sigmar after being out of the hobby for 10+ years. I get Battletomes. They are essentially codexes for each army. I think I get Warscrolls. Those are rules for older units and armies from WFB that don't and possibly won't have Battletomes? Then there's 4 Realmgate Wars, Battle Packs and Battleplans. Are these just campaigns? I know what Skirmish is. That's rules for small unit battles. Then there's Season of War, The General's Handbook and Path to Glory. If I just want the rules for Age of Sigmar do I just need the free base rules and the latest General's Handbook?

Battletomes = Codexes

Realmgate wars are the initial books that came out before the Generals handbook, they are full of unpointed battalions and scenarios if you want to play a campaign that follows the story of the books.

Path to glory is for Path to glory, it is a variant way to play where you roll for your units on a table and can roll for upgrades for units after games. It is unbalanced as gently caress, but really fun if you have a group who won't game it.

But yeah, you need the newest generals handbook to play, the base rules will likely also be printed in the back of it

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SteelMentor posted:

News from NOVA, AoS is having a major event next year: Malign Portents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP02MihLGgA

Looks like Naggy's up to something.

Also, the fourth Shadespire faction got revealed, Ironjawz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8v7UOmDEkQ

I am actually pretty excited for Shadeshire, looks really cool

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

richyp posted:

No suggestions in the modelling thread, so on majority vote you won :)

Should have all 5 done over the weekend as long as this stupid eye infection goes away (must be nurgles rot). Going to base them on snowy bases I think, which is different than the Khorne side but I'll do the base rims the same, and my Order guys on a different colour base rim.

Holy poo poo those are good skin tones, love the rotten flesh

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Thundercloud posted:

Starter in October, expansions in November.

Seems like the core set is gonna be cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

I just finished painting up more daemons, almost got all of my daemons done now. So waiting for my new book hopefully!

The Plague toads are loving great for 100 points for 3, and although big fatty is 500 points he did some serious work in my last game with his 2d6 puke attacks.

• Locked thread