Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I wish Dagorhir massed battles is as cool as that gif. Age of Slgmar 1 Dagorhir 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

"semper ubi sub ubi" was my favorite back in Latin class.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SLAMBO:

special rule: Get Dunked On

When you slam your opponent's main guy, you may shout "SLAMBOOMSHAKALAKA" and make a dunking motion. If you do, reroll the dice and instantly win the game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was considering getting the Everqueen if it was at some reasonable price of ~$30-40 for painting and displaying but I'd be afraid of even transporting it to a local convention for a painting contest.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would be down with sigmarines more if they had the white, gold, purple scheme that looks so nice. Not that I'm currently really loving that scheme on my models or anything.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I should add the Moola skull on this but too late

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would paint mine purple so I hope the rules make them extra sexy and strong, like this dorf

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

All of my dwarfs are purple except for the especially sexy ones which are orange.

I had the wrong color scheme this entire time? :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing that bothers me about GW apologists is their insistence that being able to play the game how they want is somehow mutually exclusive from a game having comprehensive rules and balanced mechanics. Do they not realize that there is no miniature game police? I could go to my FLGS tomorrow and play a game of Kings of War where I fielded nothing but Troops even though that's a clear violation of the rules. As long as my opponent agrees, who cares?

I do not understand what is controversial about saying, "It is better to have good rules that you can choose to ignore than it is to have an incomplete game."

I'm slowly realizing this might be linked to the same sort of terrible nerd arguments that are diagetic in nature and plague our communities. The obvious one is the diagesis of the media being consumed compared to the exegesis of why the hell are all these minis giant boobs with no clothing. Or dumb star wars v star trek stuff. But then you have rulesets and rules-as-physics in D&D and maybe it stems from the same thing: lack of critical analytic ability and creativity. The "D&D causes brain damage" chestnut from the old grognards.txt. It honestly is really weird that these same patterns keep coming up and the arguments are all the same.

Breaking the hallowed rules of army list creation is the same as your MGS5's Quiet wearing clothes breaking my verisimilitude since she needs her pores open to breathe.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Second amendment only amendment.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Atlas Hugged posted:

It does actually suck, but GW is ubiquitous with tabletop miniatures and for some people the guarantee of a game is worth more than insisting on only playing good games.

People really love Dead of Winter too even though it's utter poo poo that makes coop with hidden traitor mechanics games all look bad. And yet people will rave about it at LGSs~ :shrug:

I mean hell, people want to play exploding kittens on board game night at the LGS. Exploding kittens! With board game night regulars who know and love great eurogame staples like Rosenberg!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Has no neck, confirmed scruntal model.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Did anyone ever save the fanfic excerpts of the rat people dressed up as sigmarines?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's the same chance though, just you roll more dice to find this out. I agree there is an optics thing where some people look at it and go 'oh, because three dice are rolled I have better chances!' but that's not true at all in the underlying maths.

We posted about this on the death thread but in the end you're making games for humans and humans have this insatiable lust for visceral randomization. People like to feel like they can affect their destiny with random odds. I personally don't in this aspect and can have a computer or other person roll for me, but I also recognize I have weird superstitions about dice. I pair them together with a specific list because I believe the dice have affinity for their games. It's stupid and silly but it's no different than people thinking they have a "choice" in the matter of rolling well vs rolling poorly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

Yes. I loved 4th edition D&D as the best edition ever made, but it had exactly the same problem. The designers understood they were jettisoning a lot of the garbage that had been carried along in previous editions entirely through tradition, but they failed to fully commit to that purpose and kept some things that they should have left out. For example, ability scores. All D&D 4E characters have piles of things that depend on the ability score modifier, but the base scores themselves are almost entirely for flavor - and they actually reduce rather than expand roleplaying opportunity whenever a player gets fixated on the flavorful meaning of an ability score. The game would have been better if you just had a list of modifiers. All those modifiers had to scale with character level anyway..

When Skyrim was released, I remember having a ton of fun arguments with friends and others about the skill system vs. D&D. The ones who enjoyed Skyrim had a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea of it working in D&D and chalked it up to "video game vs RPG." I hate the D&D causes brain damage meme, but D&D is like Tolkien in the way it's poisoned any future progression of their respective genres.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It still is. GW can bully the small producers who would do it but who would do that in the first place? Much easier to just call your guys generic Orcs so they can be found and used for any system.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So you guys probably know the best for this question, but some guy is selling off a bunch of stuff and is asking $800 for it. He says it includes these:

(that's including the terrain table)

plus: 3 boxes of skeleton warriors & coven throne/ mortis engine box & terrorgheist /zombie dragon box, VC 8th edition army box, and death battle tome for AOS. He's asking $800 for the lot and I was wondering how much of a deal this is. I know lol GW prices but my friend and I might split this and use it for KOW or other stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

If you are splitting off and willing to ship I've been trying to get that center terrain piece for a while now...

I'm mostly wondering how to store all of it if we do get it. I do want to keep big tower thing if that's what you mean. would be a nice centerpiece for a frostgrave map.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Percelus posted:

i almost want them to go way over the top and have like ethereal bretonnian power rangers featuring the green knight. they just ghost into the mortal realms during times of need and form their voltron lance charge

This owns. Instead, GW creative gave us bigmarines. I was actually going to paint the bretonnians I had colorfully, so I might do this anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, purple is always good. While I do not like the age of slgmar, i can always appreciate a good orc or scrunt. And orcs are really just giant scrunts.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

They are very determined to show that Sigmarines are NOT soulless husks in animated armor.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Start Collecting boxes are the only good deals.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Why is the game only 3 turns? Seems odd

Taking a page from good eurogame rulebooks, of course.

Also i'd be totally down for a warhammer game about building the church of sigmar or whatever. You get victory points for helping the town out and it would pretty much be a reskin of Troyes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That bird elf chariot would look cool if it didn’t look like the bird was keeping the chariot from floating away. It isn’t being pulled up, it’s being pulled down which looks really weird.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

To be fair, you have to have a *very* high IQ to understand the Tomb Kings. The faction is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of skeletal physics most of the tactics will go over a typical players head. There's also Settra's expansionistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily fromNarodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these characters, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about UNLIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Tomb Kings truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Settra's hierarchical catchphrase "Settra does not serve, Settra rules" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as GW's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Tomb Kings tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the skellies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JcDent posted:

I do not recognize that pasta

It's about the deep and enriching fiction found in the latest warhammer age of sigmar TM novels.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Osric posted:

I feel silly asking this but is there any etiquette to GW stores I need to know?

Depending on how much of a dick the manager is, some stores didn't even let you bring paint from other manufacturers :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Strobe posted:

I dunno I'd be pretty annoyed with someone at a restaurant telling all my customers how great the competing restaurant across the street is.

Is your name Doobie?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I actually went into the GW that I used to go to several years ago. The location changed, it has maybe 2 tables for playing and 1 for painting, down from 6 and a long workbench. There weren't any kids playing like there used to be, and this was a typical weekend.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the correct answer here is to not go into gw stores
:eyepop:

mango sentinel posted:

You wouldn't go into a small restaurant and talk loudly about how much better the place next door is, or sit down and eat a McDonald's hamburger.
Yes, it would be rude to do something like that at your LGS. However, GW is not a small business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

They posted the Order champion:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the italicized part seems like an angle to reintroduce elements of the old setting.

drat that's a great looking stormwind alliance dude.

• Locked thread