Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghost Hand posted:

What happened to the old Age of Slgmar thread?

I got sick of the same 5 guys posting the same flamebait and closed it. Don't mind debates about the game, but I couldn't bother investing in the forum when the forum wasn't paying a return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

You realized you closed it during honest discussion of game mechanics and right after someone went to the trouble of posting a battle report right? Like there were probably other times the thread was "worth" closing by your criteria, but at that moment it was super bizarre. Also you don't have to close the thread just because you're the OP. The thread could go on indefinitely without your participating if you weren't happy with it.

That sucks and I apologize. I didn't want to cost anyone effort they were putting into the thread.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm sick of all these unofficial rules for Sigmar. This game is not about being creative. It's about being OFFICIAL And the only way it can be official is if Games Workshop says it is. Look, if you make your own rules, dont expect me to play you in an official game. That would be a worthless waste of time. If I have fun, I want it to be official fun, that's all.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

TKIY posted:

Source dem quotes.

From the "Fans of Age of Sigmar" facebook.

Moola posted:

What does this even mean lol?

Maybe not the best choice of words. I got frustrated and angry and then acted rashly. Evidence why I shouldn't OP a thread. I act against my own interests when, in trying to contribute to the community, I blow something up.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
So here's an unexpected thing:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/warscroll-builder-coming-soon/

They are actually going to make Warscroll Builder, which is a third party list maker, official.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
More Shadespire images:

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 23, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some recently completed things:

Have 2 palladors finished and the third one waiting. Probably will finish the Gorechosen characters first.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

RhomboidSphinx posted:

I know this isn't the painting thread but how did you create the blue water/liquid stuff on the base? That looks like the exact type of thing I'm after for my Tzeentch.

Here is what you do:

- Paint the area with temple guard blue. (It's a very bright blue.)
- Drybrush with white.
- Wash with Guilliman Blue glaze.

Then do anything else to finish the base and seal the miniature.

After sealing:

- Add water FX and let dry for 24 hours. I use the water FX from secret weapon miniatures.

The water FX will dry and create a water effect over the surface of whatever paint you use. You want to add it after you varnish otherwise the varnish will rob the water FX of its power. It's very thick, so just drip it carefully over the area. It has a lot of surface tension, so can work fine on regions that don't have rims, but just add it carefully. If you add too much too quickly it'll spill over the edge of the base. If you use it to fill a region that has a rim, don't add more than a half inch deep or it'll have trouble drying.

Water FX has no color itself, so you can do it over green or orange or whatever you want your liquid to look like.

Also, you can add more steps to the drybrushing of color if you want more variety in your water, but for these small patches on bases this formula works well for me. The end result will have enough noise in it to look like disturbed water.

Another water FX tip: you can mix it with washes and blood for the blood god to make a grody effect for Khorne models:

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 27, 2017

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
You can take anything with the Khorne keyword.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

TKIY posted:

The Mutalith and Slaughterbrute got updated Warscrolls and have the proper keywords now. The Mutalith is a straight up beast.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/08/vortex-and-slaughter-the-beasts-are-back/

Yeah this is great. I was going to pester about this on their Facebook, but never got the chance. The slaughterbrute can now be bound to a mortal Khorne hero.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is it still just mashing poo poo together? I was hoping that things would have advanced a bit by this stage...

Also, does anyone play with their square based models, or is that frowned upon? If I dip my toe in this (and, like Serotonin, I disliked AoS on launch) I do not want to have to rebase anything, and want to continue to be able to use my dudes in rank and file games as well.

Don't play pitched battles. Instead, play the missions in the GH or scenarios from the various campaign books. That'll avoid mash in the middle syndrome. Also, aim to play for major wins and you'll have to play to the mission objectives.

At 1000 pts, you'll still want one or two squads to take objectives. If you only take big monsters you'll have trouble with some of the missions that require a certain number of guys within scoring range to score.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

As I noted above, I'm pretty new to AoS and haven't really familiarised myself with the full rules yet, but having read through their book I'm not actually sure there's anything in the Flesh Eater Courts list that requires you to field an army of all Flesh-Eaters. I mean their units/heroes are all built to key off of each others abilities so it's a good idea to go all in on them, but I don't think there's anything you actually lose out on by including other death units.

What you'd expect to happen is a new Flesh-Eater book to come out with a bunch of incentives to play them exclusively. You are correct that those incentives don't currently exist. They've been systematically adding them to all of the factions, however. (Khorne most recently got them.) They tend to include: exclusive magic items, spells, etc.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
20 grots is 100 points so bringing 1 grot requires you to pay that full unit cost.

10 orruks is 100 points also.

So 200 points to field just those two models. :D

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

So through a trade I ended up with a pretty decent amount of Stormcast Eternals.

I essentially have 3 sets of the starter set.

30 Liberators
3 Lord Relictors
3 Lord Celestants on Dracoths
9 Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers
9 Retributors

Where should I go from here? I want some ranged stuff, and plan on picking up some different heroes. Is there anything that's mandatory for Stormcast Eternals?

Well you might trade off the extra relictors and lord celestants on dracoths.

Good stuff:

Retributors are fantastic. Consider picking up a few more paladins with star soul maces. You need at least 1 more to make 2 squads of 5 or 1 killer squad of 10.

Stormcast have good ranged options. Judicators are great and count for your battleline. The new vanguard-raptors are also a strong ranged choice.

The Lord Castellant and Celestant on Foot are good heroes to pick up.

The Celestant-Prime is strong and a good centerpiece model.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zuul the Cat posted:

Can you not run the same hero more than once?

You can.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some recently painted stuff. The slaughterbrute isn't new (and looks like he needs a dusting), but the rest is. Closing in on 1000 points of painted Blades of Khorne.

Time to take a break from Sigmar and paint some space marines.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Finished my Palladors.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Black_Nexus posted:

So glad they are just releasing allegiance abilities for old armies in the new book, will help catch up the power levels a lot.

Well, assuming that a lot of the more abusive units go up in points

The fact that Slaaneshi cults are in there probably means no Slaaneshi army book any time soon.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my IoB Skaven. Good to see that it won't get completely rolled.

I played against almost the exact same Skaven list recently. I used:

Lord Celestant
Lord Veritant
5 Decimators
5 Judicators
5 Judicators
3 Palladors

The Decimators are strong, but it was the Judicators that did a lot of work while sitting the two back field objectives. Between firing and battleshock they swept both clanrat squads in one round. The Decimators were teleported forward by the veritant and charged the stormvermin, wiping them. The palladors used their aetheric movement to take a back objective.

Judicators die quickly in melee, but their shooting is brutal against rats.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I play to the double turn, both to take advantage of it and defend against it. I try to look for plays that will give me a big advantage if I roll the double and same for my opponent. Teleporting heavy infantry isn't that great on a single turn because of the need for a 9 inch charge, but is amazing if you make a double turn. Same for withdraw, which is ok on a single turn but really strong on a double.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Those reavers are solid. I'm jealous of your skin work, very smooth.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Great saurus knights!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Dang, Naeve has 7 -1 rend attacks. For every 6 to hit she gets another attack. Deals 2 damage to heroes.

But they left off the Hero keyword so she can't technically be fielded. She has no unit type.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I could res the old OP. It did have good content in it. I won't suicide thread this time, promise.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Attack of the noodle men!

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
It’s probably just a board game.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Ya'll might like reading the Corum novels by Michael Moorcock, an old 70s fantasy series. They are a kind of predecessor to Planescape, having heavily influenced AD&D, which in turn influenced Warhammer and the Sigmar Mortal Realms. The Order vs Chaos formulation was the core of the books which D&D picked up on.

In it, Order is represented as being "not good." Good is something you can do within the context of order or chaos, but the purest manifestation of Order is crystalline stasis, the holy police state, and a toxic inability for creativity. D&D definitely pushed order into the "mostly good" territory, and even though Lawful Evil is a thing most people don't seem to think of it as a manifestation of order. (In Moorcock's novels all the gods are pretty much insane assholes regardless of their affiliation with chaos or order.)

So, you could imagine Morathi being Lawful Evil. Her son was more LE. She struck me as his CE bad side, with her pleasure cult. Maybe she's changed. If she's Lawful Evil, then she would fit within Order.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If Morathi replaces Slaanesh, what does that mean for 40k? It's weird to have one god whose storyline is split. I suppose slaanesh was always somewhat split though.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I didn’t realize this until during assembly, but the Great Unclean One’s weapon options are easily magnetized. The entire weapon and arm for each option is included with no shared usage of parts.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Finished up this fat boy for my maggotkin.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Tardigrade posted:

In awe at the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

(Are those magnetized forearms I see in the back?)

Yeah I magnetized his arms. Works pretty well.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The deepkin lore is decent. The book doesn’t necessarily land in the top 3 that have been written, but there are some cool ideas. This book has a bit too much of the neologisms with creature and place-names that some of the early books had. Making up infinite lore isn’t storytelling. That said, they’ve definitely gone in a unique direction with the fish-elves that bring their own ocean to the battle and this has enabled them to explore some cool designs that you wouldn’t normally expect to find. There is some interesting story potential here, but they need to dig into the culture with the kind of dialogue and character development that army books don’t provide.

The thralls are sweet, drawing some design cues from the old executioner models and they seem quite powerful as a battleline unit.

The standard king seems to be quite a bit less powerful than the High King, given only a 40 point difference. I think you’d always want to take the high king. His +1 attack buff applies to 3 units instead of 1.

This army looks intimidating to paint, but I kind of want to jump in and use it to improve my skills. I’ve been painting a lot by the “How to Paint” videos and it feels a little bit like paint by numbers now.

Between the Airship Dwarves and the Fish Elves, GW is really embracing some unique ideas to expand Sigmar and make it stand out. Giving each army a unique core mechanic has also worked out really well. Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Murder Elves, and Fish Elves all stand out as having a strong feel that comes through in their mechanics.

AoS remains under appreciated.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
In retrospect, they need to revisit some armies like the Frost Ogors and give them a unique army-wide mechanic that represents the Everfrost (or whatever it’s called). Their endless winter that follows them wherever they go. Maybe on turns 1-3 the winter builds up, hits hard to their advantage on turn 4, and then hits so hard it hurts the ogors on turn 5.

One problem with the neologic naming of everything is that I find it hard for some of the lore to bake into my brain. I’m trying to decide if this was a mistake, or it’s just a sort of short-term “new IP” cost they are paying.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Gavriel Sureheart's warscroll (https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/aos-warscroll-Gavriel-Sureheart-en.pdf) doesn't have the Hammers of Sigmar tag on it, although it has a special rule that says he can be taken in the Lords of the Storm battalion. I assume it's fine to run him at his 100 pts cost without being a Hammer of Sigmar...

?

The named special characters in the Stormcast seem to work differently from named special characters in 40k.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

S.J. posted:

So as much as I wanna keep up with Shadespire, my schedule just does not allow for it at all. I've got the core set and the first two expansion (Skeletons and Orcs). It's been played a grand total of like 3 times. Minis are cleaned and assembled but otherwise untouched. Looking to ship it to someone in the US for 90. PM me if you're interested.

Is there any value (like in X-wing) in owning more than one core set?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I painted some Ulgu themed Liberators.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SteelMentor posted:

I dig them! How'd you do their bases, I'm tempted to steal for my Daughters.

I loosely followed the Realm of Shadow base guide on YouTube, but used this for some shadowy water:

Base Naggaroth night
Dry brush pallid wytch flesh
Dry brush praxeti white
Cover with druchii violet
Let dry, then cover with water fx

For the YouTube video I used temple guard blue instead of skink blue cos I don’t have skink blue.

For the stone parts, which the video doesn’t cover, I used:

Base mechanicus grey
Dry brush dawnstone
Dry brush ushabti bone (light)
Wash agrax earth shade

Then I did the purple/blue/white dry brush on top of that as the video suggests.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SteelMentor posted:

Cheers! Got a recommendation for the water fx?

I use secret weapon water fx. Seems to work well without drying in the bottle.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SteelMentor posted:

I dig them! How'd you do their bases, I'm tempted to steal for my Daughters.

My plan with this army is ally in some Melusai for mortal wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Those sisters of the watch are awesome. Haven't seen those models before.

• Locked thread