Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Guys, remember this? Can't quote it because the thread was closed.

Comrade Merf posted:

So the latest version of a fan made skirmish/campaign ruleset called Hinterlands came out a few days ago and it caught on like a wildfire in my local meta so I'll drop a link for it here as well.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4845563/Zandronum/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

If someone had told me a year ago that the game I most looked forward to playing in the week was AoS I would have laughed in your face but here I am. 2017 is turning out to be a really weird year.

Did any of you guys try it out? Is it a pleasant way to spend time, or like being stabbed in the testicles?

Because the £20 starter plus the free model with White Dwarf gives you starting forces for Stormfronts and Blood Blooders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I like the basic troops and think they'd make a good Frostgrave or Mordheim style force. They also look like they'd paint up nice.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I like the animation in the poses, much better than previous AoS models.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

TKIY posted:

Are those models done in board game plastic?

No, that's HIPS as normal. Basically two sprues the same size as the sprues from the Storm of Sigmar £20 starter but coloured.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Saint Drogo posted:

Those are some lovely birdies, why they got bundled with sigmarines is beyond me.

Sigmarines seem to be the birdy or dog/birdy army. It's pretty much their only redeeming feature.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I think the person with oversight for the board game stuff used to work for Mantic. The guy who designed Gorechosen and Comorragh who's name I can't remember.

Both games that got good critical responses.

If shadespire is a decent game I will play it. Whatever happens I want those skeletons, even if it is just to use in fantasy skirmish games.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Serotonin posted:

I do wonder how AoS would play with alternating activations.

Probably a fair bit better.0

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Likely Generals Handbook 2.

I really hope they have the balls to change the basic Age of Sigmar rules to suck less.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

TKIY posted:

I have a hunch that GHB 2 is going to follow the 40k path and introduce granular points and a competitive game type beyond matched play.

I loving hope so and I hope it is some sort of Kill Team type mode.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Age of Sigmar Kill Team.

Mordheim reboot is slated for next year as far as I know.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

Probably gonna be $75, would rather pay $40 for a single but it shouldn't be too hard to split with someone.

I really wanna know what the weirdnob warband is. Probably just a weirdknob and like ten Ardboys. I want cheap Brutes :(

Apparently it is a Weirdnob, 5 Brutes and 5 Ardboyz. I'm tempted but I want to have a good look at the rules.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

moths posted:

I ordered the Skirmish book but what else do I need to use it? I'm guessingthe General's HB and core rules?

Just the core rules and the warscrolls from the gw site.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Injuryprone posted:

I played some this weekend and fielded a lord of plagues and 4 blightkings. I wasn't able to split the kings up since you can only have each warscroll once in your warband. It devolved into my murderball slowly rolling across the field while my opponent with 4 different model types tried to flank and such.

The kings would all be individual models and their own unit. You can split them up.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Anyone tried the Hinterlands skirmish at all? I'm hearing about balance issues with Skirmish and was wondering if I should just bypass it altogether and go to Hinterlands.

There'll be a new Hinterlands overlay for skirmish.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hopefully the game releases in October with at least the four factions that have been show so far.

Starter in October, expansions in November.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not sure if this should be an AoS or SG question, but does anyone know what the Shadespire "Power Decks" are supposed to be? I see that they are available for the core forces in addition to the core game. Are they just repeats of the core cards, or are they something different?

Each faction has a faction specific deck. The base game/supplement then has a generic pack of cards you could use with any faction.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

The faction booster sets also have a generic set of cards in, but from what I've been told they're the same as in the starter.

No, they are definitely different to give everyone a reason to buy everything. The generic cards in the skeleton faction booster will be different to the ones in the starter, as well as there being a skeleton deck in there.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone know what box set the skaven sprues from Mordheim got reused for? Was it clan rats?

Nightrunners.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I will definitely be getting it. Looks good. Games I have seen on the youtubes look good. Not too expensive. Doesn't take too long to play.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Second Khorne is blood warriors (the new chaos warriors) with a flesh hound in there (probably 4 models) and the sigmarines are their ranger dudes.

Khorne with a doggo interests me.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

Eh, I much prefer WHFB's visuals. Everything about Empire, especially in art, just looks awesome. Sigmarines, on the other hand, are less so.

And the fyreslayers are all indistinguishable.

Not a fan of how desperately shoehorned the old models are (until they're ready to squat them). Like, the whole Fleasheater illusion thing is so cheap, and it was stupid with Genestealer cults, too. Some dude on Dark AoS FB group made a band of Flesheaters with ghoul heads on Bret men at arms and it immediately looked better and made the fluff make sense.

And lol yeah, the maps. Imagine making TW:AoS with those things.

How is the genestealer cult fluff stupid? It's pretty much unchanged from many years ago.

The AoS fluff has been absolutely poo poo for most of the time.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Should we have a new thread for Shadespire to avoid gumming up this thread with posts about another, more popular, game?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I think not having it's own thread might confuse people a bit if they are coming new to the game, or looking for Shadespire content, and people looking for AoS content will get their stuff buried. I can work on an OP later in the week.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Having played Shadespire I think it'll be big enough to deserve it's own thread. The first organised play events are going to be taking place in three weeks, and there'll be enough factions out by then that people will have a bit of variety.

I genuinely think this will be huge. Not magic huge, but bigger than a lot of games with their own threads in here.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Floppychop posted:

Is there an ETA on other races for Shadespire?

It seems fun, but I'm partial to Skaven.

I would expect another 2 in before the end of the year (Skaven and dwarves), but Necromunda is the last weekend of November and that's the final big release of the year (no GW retail staff leave allowed on release day).

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

JcDent posted:

*saves money for Necromunda*

There will apparently be a black friday necromunda bundle. No idea what is in it, my guess would be sector mechanicus terrain plus the boxed game so you can go 3D.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Booyah- posted:

Is the shadespire rulebook out anywhere? I'd like to read the multiplayer rules specifically.

Not yet. But GWs have their demo copies and you can go in and read it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

There is now a Shadespire thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837620

Let me know if there is anything else that needs to be added to the OP.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I played the Gates of Antares Fantasy Adaptation with Rick Priestley at the weekend, here's the playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjI8OEJrkE

I've done a youtube poll to back up my opinion that Warlord should develop it as a product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=use7ddDtmJE

I'm really interested in playing this.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

That's just teabagging with statues.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Head of the warhammer studio said that each grand alliance gets a character and that the next campaign is more grimdark and set in the realm of death.

The Dark Oath are chaos worshippers who don't understand the nature of chaos and seem to be tentacle free.

They will also be filling in the AoS background so that it makes more sense and trying to make it more warhammery.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Any idea on release dates for the new stuff?

This is the next 'season' of AoS, so the releases for next year. Codex Chaos Demons is in January, and it was confirmed that there would be a new generals handbook every year.

Thinking of things in 'seasons' appears to be the new studio way of looking at things, and campaign books to be the product to support those seasons. So the 40k campaign books got mentioned.

I just hassled them about Shadespire as I couldn't give a gently caress about AoS though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

So has anyone done an entirely Nurgling army yet?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I mean using the various character nurglings as counts as.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost pirates would get me to buy AoS minis if they didn't suck.

I think I've got a Nurgle Demon army for AoS on the basis of having Nurgle Demons to support my Deathguard.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

SRM posted:

If this means we get hordes of Chaos barbarians/barbariennes(?) I'd be all over that Conan poo poo.

This or Zombie pirates would actually get me to buy some AoS models.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Head of studio said it would take the setting in a more dark and classic warhammer direction.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It feels weird they are finally releasing fishmen.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It's also a return to the original lore for elves in folklore as being a bunch of assholes.

Interested to see the death faction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

S.J. posted:

There should be one every year in the fall some time.

Chapter Approved and Generals Handbook every year confirmed by GW last year.

• Locked thread