Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So, two friends of mine are getting back into Age of Sigmar as something to do on weekends and once summer comes around I'll have some free time so I figure I'll join in. They're going for Stormcast Eternals and Chaos as they're basically planning to buy the bigass box set and build out from there.

Because I'm a fluff nerd I'm intrigued by the Flesh Eater Courts, I figure I'll go full-tilt on the whole delusional monarch thing and build an army of shambling undead Brettonians, seeking the Grail in between smashing in the skulls of their enemies to feast upon the gooey brains within. Thing is I don't actually know anything about Flesh Eater Courts, the Death alliance, or really the game in general at this point. I've been told the Start Collecting box is about the most cost-effective way to start with basically any faction, but is there any consensus as to how to build a decent Flesh Eaters army beyond that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Awesome, so as with the Undead armies of old, it's all about having a core of really awesome heroes (Grail Knights) backed up by horrors (Questing Knights) and with regenerating hordes of ghouls (Brave peasant companions) to tie people down? I can work with that.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MCPeePants posted:

And aren't Flesh Eaters the only subfaction that's been expanded since AoS hit? So the options are either Flesh Eater Courts or generic Death?

As I noted above, I'm pretty new to AoS and haven't really familiarised myself with the full rules yet, but having read through their book I'm not actually sure there's anything in the Flesh Eater Courts list that requires you to field an army of all Flesh-Eaters. I mean their units/heroes are all built to key off of each others abilities so it's a good idea to go all in on them, but I don't think there's anything you actually lose out on by including other death units.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

dexefiend posted:

Brettonia isnt gone... they just now eat Flesh.

I kind of wish they'd rolled with that more when modelling the ghouls though; the basic Abhorrent Ghoul King model looks a little meh, and I think giving them tattered capes, scraps of armour, heraldry of flayed corpses etc would have made em look a whole lot cooler.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Plus the strange new setting that I still barely understand does not really have a place for them.

I dunno, you could probably do something with planes-hopping Arthurian knights. Just add a whole bunch of megi-tech He-Manesque "IN SPACE!!!" stuff to make them sufficiently metal for AoS.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

You can make female Sigmarines even easier than a head swap. Just add a line in the fluff that states, "Some of these are women."

Boom, done.

Fully armored warriors in masks. There doesn't need to be any specific gendering.

That's be my preferred option, cause I'm a lazy bastard at heart. That being said the model doesn't look that bad; it's not a baremidriff and while boob plate is stupid that style doesn't look particularly sexualised. Yeah it's still dumb from a realism perspective, but GW shoulderpads basically mean they've long since forfeited all realism complaints ever.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

So, I've started up collecting and painting my Flesh Eater Courts in earnest and with the release of the 2017 General's Handbook have finally gotten round to looking at the rules and, um... is it just me or if you're playing by the Pitched Battle rules is it nearly always better to make your Crypt Haunter Courtier the general even if you have an actual Ghoul King in your army, since then you can count your Crypt Horrors as Battlelines and all the Ghoul King command abilities are unit-creator powers that don't mesh well with the restrictions that Pitched Battle puts on summoning anyway.

Seems kinda weird. Am I missing something?

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cool. Seems kind of odd considering they obviously added a bunch of new rules for FEC in the 2017 book but didn't seem to notice that there's absolutely no reason to have the battleline/general restriction on Horrors/Flayers as a FEC player basically sacrifices nothing by not making the Ghoul King the general. Ah well.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, if anything 40k fluff has gotten significantly more restrained and self-consistent over the years.

Flesheater fluff is fine. New Flesheater models would be nice though. But to be frank Death really needs a redesign from the ground up. The (much needed) changes to the game in the GHBs disproportionately affect mechanics Death was built around, such as summoning.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 13, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, it is kind of silly, but they don't really explain it well either. Essentially, the leaders (Ghoul King, etc) have some sort of passive ability to enchant other ghouls, causing them to believe they aren't really monsters. Why does it happen? We don't know - they kind of need to flesh (heh heh) this out a bit.

I mean, they had to have something though - GW distanced them from the Vampires, so they needed a hook other than "I dunno - they eat people and stuff?" At least the illusion thing gives a little flavor (and yeah, they would be 1000x better if they had scraps of Empire and/or Bret armor and clothing hanging off of them.)

Basically just an alternate take on vampires having the power to beguile people. At least that’s how I see it. Only real shame is it’s fluff designed independently of the models themselves. The core concept and the army idea’s pretty cool.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

moths posted:

This looks like a straight-up version of Lovecraft's "The Outsider," which is definitely a cool take on ghouls but doesn't really jive with much else in the old continuity.

It's cool, but the range would make more sense dressed in tattered finery and formal wear than in cannibal leftovers and loincloths.

Well for more recent pop-culture, they probably take some inspiration from the Malkavian vampires of Vampire: the Masquerade. (A clan of vampires that are plagued with madness which can spread to other people.) Some of it's probably just Renfield stuff.

Aesthetically though, yeah they could do with new models to reflect the new direction. Tattered armour and corpse-heraldry would be awesome.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

JcDent posted:

Oh, yeah, freeguild is such an essential part of the fluff, doing stuff like

Being depicted defending every major city in the setting, having a role in a good chunk of the Firestorm kits etc. While it won’t surprise me if they get an art/model rework someday they’re appearing in enough current products that I don’t see them being squatted any time soon.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Pure guess based on rumours floating around, but if the next major Order release is an elf faction, my guess is the disappearing elf units at least will get replaced with a loose equivalent that’s more in line with whatever aesthetic they’re going for.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Basically WHFB went to poo poo the moment Nagash stopped being a clown.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"Dwarves love gold" is a trope that goes back as far as Tolkien.

They just say that to get it into bed.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

A persistent rumour is that there’s some sort of sea/pirate elf faction in the works. On the other hand just because a rumour persists doesn’t mean it’s not bullshit so who knows?

As for VC, no idea. They’re clearly doing something with Death in 2018 but no idea what. (Smart money’s on a Deathrattle Battletome but maybe Malign Portents will involve other stuff?)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 21, 2017

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The new generals handbook makes a bunch of nice secondary changes. But it does not alter the core rules in anyway. It's possible this may be a core rules change that is still compatible with the Generals handbook. (Since pretty much nothing there would change with a core rules change.)

Yeah, the way AoS works the core rules, the GHB points costs and the Warscrolls themselves are all pretty compartmentalised. As long as they planned it out in advance GW could easily change one without immediately having to change the others. (Though a big enough core rules change would probably have to be followed by a changing of warscrolls to rebalance units, or a rejiggering of points costs.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Less enamoured of the chief than I am the female Stormcasts I gotta admit. If she’s heralding the release of a proper pulpy fantasy barbarian army in silly loincloths then all will be forgiven though.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Deleter posted:

What the hell would an 2nd Edition of AoS even look like? I highly doubt GW would change the dice mechanics as they're married to to hit/to wound and buckets of dice, mortal wounds are here to stay, and I don't trust them to change any of the weird poo poo regarding ranged attacks shooting out of melee and 3" bubbles and stuff. The most I expect is they rewrite the warscrolls to be more in line with how the Shadespire ones are presented, untangling the lore from the actual rules text, and then shuffle some deckchairs around with stuff like battalions or allegiance abilities.

My guess is it would just be updating the rules to reflect stuff that worked in 40k8e

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I feel like a unstoppable force is at least better than an unmovable object. Nothing is worse than a unit that's impossible to hurt.

Yeah, although a part of me thinks it would be fun if there was a Dark Souls style death unit that could never killed. Like, every time it died you could redeploy it at the edge of the table. Something which took advantage of the fact that victory conditions in AoS don’t actually require wiping out the enemy.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get into them too - reading the Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows right now. GW is finally realizing that there has to be some sort of grounding aspect to their stories for AoS - it can't be gods vs. gods vs. gods all the time and be accessible.

Indeed. If he keeps up the output over the next few years it would not surprise me at all if Josh Reynolds ends up having the same kind of defining influence over Age of Sigmar fluff as Abnett had over 40k.

Would also recommend Nick Horth as one to watch. City of Secrets is fun and is apparently getting sequels.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The video is now a spoopy ship. Here's hoping for actual ghost ship models.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

moths posted:

Haha, ok. I had the impression AOS took place in the Warp / Realms of Magic, with Mortal Realms being ... something outside of that.

Nah, the mortal realms are just the collective names for the different dimensions based on the Winds of Magic. Lexicanum's been making a big push to update their Age of Sigmar stuff recently and has a page on it now.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The horns make me thing Nurgle, but the body doesn't seem rotund enough. the body and limbs look dwarf-shaped.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Also, new Champion and Wizard nurglings with the GUO.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

If AoS just becomes a Norse Mythology and Conan mashup by way of Power Metal cover art i'm super ok with that.

Age of Sigmar really is best thought of as 70s heavy metal album cover fantasy. Much begins to make sense when thought of like that.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Saint Drogo posted:

The army is Nighthaunt, malignant is AFAIK a totally meaningless keyword they used on a start collecting box for a nonexistent army.

Yeah, Nighthaunt is the faction, and the faction keyword. Malignant is a keyword that I think is currently used on all nighthaunt units, and only on nighthaunt units. Presumably there was either originally going to be some non-malignant nighthaunt units, or some non-nighthaunt malignants.

As it stands it's useless, but I can see why it might have had a use at some point. For example the "mordant" keyword for ghouls is similar, but actually has a use because the Abhorrant Ghoul King and the Flesh Eater Courts monsters don't have the keyword, so casters like the Necromancer can have spells which empower the normal units but not the heroes.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

TKIY posted:

Yup the article today basically details three legions, one under each Mortarch, that can take a variety of death units while sitting their own set of special rules and magic items.

I guess I need to pull my death boxes and sprues out.

To be honest, dividing legion/faction abilities by Mortarch is probably a better way of doing it than by ghouls/ghosts/skeletons/vampire. It's a story/theme divide rather than a "this army is skelebobs, this army is vampires" divide, which has the potential to be more interesting. (Though if so I hope they release the Carrion King as a Mortarch/faction cause it would be a shame to lose all the awesome Flesh Eater Courts work.)

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Should've offered a limited edition teapot.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just going off who they were in the end times.

I would expect the ones who actually got titles to remain the same. But Phil Kelly heavily hinted that the Mortarch of Shadows is still the same guy.

I vaguely remember Khalida (the Tomb-Queen) joining Nagash and becoming a Mortarch at some point? If so I'd personally rate her at a higher chance of returning than Drachenfels.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

You should be able to take Strigoi uinits here.

Think they said on the Facebook that the FEC models aren't in the book. Which clashes with the "all Death models" thing so maybe there's a miscommunication somewhere but who knows?

I kind of hope they can be taken though, mostly just cause I have a FEC force and I'd rather have a springboard to add other models too if I want to go broader Death.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Would be nice if Death got some new models to go with their campaign, but whatever, sea elves sound cool.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Now I have the image of that army looking like the Heide Knights from Dark Souls 2 and I'm forever gonna be salty it doesn't exist.

Indeed. While I don't think "deathcasts" would be a good idea, I think part of why the idea had traction is that Death definitely has room for an armoured heavy-infantry style faction in the style of Stormcasts. Personally I'd love to see some kind of death knight faction. (Or possibly a re-imagined Tomb Kings centred around big-rear end scarab/scorpion/jackal/sphinx themed heavy units.)

MonsterEnvy posted:

After reading the justification for them being in GA order. I say it still does not work.

Yeah, were it not for all the other Dark Elves already being in Order I'd say there's basically nothing in their back story that wouldn't work better with the Daughters being in Destruction and using the endless warfare of the orcs as a convenient source of ritual slaughter and a vehicle for scouring the realms looking for shards of Khaine.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The primary reason they can't be taken as allies is because GW is trying as hard as they can to kill them off.

I really, really want the reason for this to be that they're planning to release a new Death Faction that basically usurps their quasi-Egyptian theme and they don't want two competing ranges. It's not gonna happen, but a man can dream.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Tardigrade posted:

Decided I want to build a Flesh-eater Courts army because their fluff is that good and they look like loads of fun. The capacity for customization, though, is less good. Are there any interesting color schemes they could go in besides various hues of pale and livid? I’m considering doing the terrorgheist in fossilized/stony colors.

If you don’t mind the looking more inhuman, I find dark blues contrast nicely with red bloodstains.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah if next winter's inevitable run of Slaanesh releases don't feature some blatant new Mad Max ripoffs to rival Noise Marines I'll be surprised and disappointed.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mortal wounds are good yes. They’re particularly good against Stormcast though as they tend to have good saves which they can augment further with buffs.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The true heroes of Age of Sigmar.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well that kind of seems dickish and out of character for Teclis.

Or possibly it was because they apparently need to suck out people's souls to live? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Unit-summoning has been something AoS has been struggling with since release, and its only really with the recent Chaos and Death releases that they've obviously settled on how they want it to interact with the matched play rules.

• Locked thread