Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
He's coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Is Slambo resin?

Yeah he's finecast. :(

It's the first time working with resin instead of metal or plastic and I'm not sure how I feel. I appreciate that it's easier to clean up sprue joins but there's so much more flash in general, and I did manage to gently caress up the bottom of his torso plate a little. I also like how plastic fits together a little better.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Spire of Dawn Skaven + Start Collecting Skaven, plus Slambo is almost 1500 points right?

SteelMentor posted:

What would be the plural of SLAMBO.

Slambi? Slambles? Slambronies?
Slamburgers

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Oh poo poo

It's a Slamboree

1540 :negative:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 27, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The Scruby and Wells podcast is doing a multi part series on the army if you want to listen about it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

This is another problem that needs to be corrected. You buy units in blocks and you pay per block whether you use all the models in that block or not. This leads to fuckery like this:

• Dryads are 120pts for 10 models
  • Dryads get a unit bonus for having 12+ models
  • Dryads are sold in boxes of 16

You tell me how this works. All you need to do is say Dryads are 120pts for a block of ten which is the minimum size, and then it's 12 points for each additional model. Hell, stuff like Champs and Banners is built in to the 'first ten' cost so maybe it's 10 points for each additional model. Sort of like how it was done in 8th (imagine that).

KoW does the buy-units-by-block system but with multibasing it's not nearly as big an issue.
Well the Spire of Dawn and Start Collecting Boxes have properly filled out battlelines, afaik but I don't know how that is across other boxes. I ask about 1500 because it's apparently the common size played at my FLGS. It's easy enough to trim to get Slambo in there. I mainly want the theme of the force to be rival factions of Skryre and Moulder united under a single banner seeing which brand of mad science is better. Also Slambo is there. I can just some of the Pestilens stuff and slowly replace with other stuff. I'm just working from those two boxes as a base since they're good value and I like most of the units. I don't really need or want the Plague Monks though...

Ghost Hand posted:

What happened to the old Age of Slgmar thread?
Mysteriously closed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I change my mind I like this one best

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LordAbaddon posted:

Not to interrupt the shitposting but is there any overview/meta rundown for the various factions(battleforces?(armies?(wad of cash?)))? I'm interested to see where everything stands in that "can't look away from a train wreck" kind of way.

Tournament results are hard to scrutinize since they're frequently listed by Grand Order which doesn't tell you much, and also don't seem to have a ton of Big tournaments to draw real data from. What I can put together from podcasts suggests Sigmarines, Sylvaneth, and Beastclaw Raiders are Extremely Good. Most of the new/updated armies are less oppressive but competitive. This is excluding Ironjawz and Dwarves, which sound weak/see little play. Few seem to play the old armies in tournaments except a recent Tomb King list abusing a Leader ability to spam other leader abilities. There is now talk of banning old armies from tournaments over less scrutinized balance/point allocation and unforseen abusive interactions. I think this is dumb because AoS is fundamentally a bad tournament game to start, and stakes seem low to exclude underplayed armies just because people can't practice against them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Duardinbob Steampants are up next:

Looks like the back end of a blimp. I would legit buy a blimp. Blimps are awesome.

It's totally a duarden Warjack

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

I plunge further into the Mortal Realms.

Everything will be square based for Kings of War but I did give GW money. I expect skeletal admonishment at any time.

Why not buy the Forest Spirit Warhost?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Moola posted:

The sigmarines are literally a result of a designer being told to copy Warmachine and Blizzard aesthetics

the OP image is spot on

As someone who had played over a decade of WoW, this is why I like them.

Still looking for third party Knight heads I like for them though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

thats pretty absurd if youve already bought a bunch of overpriced gw crap and decided to use third party bits to make them look less dumb that it would disqualify you from playing in a gw tourney

GW basically never runs its own tournaments except dipping a toe like once last year. IIRC official GW event rules allow conversions but specify any single model has to be 51% GW product, as determined by a judge eyeballing it. A third party head won't disqualify you.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ghost Hand posted:

I see this as a good thing. They are working hard to work with the community again under their new leadership... blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

Well it's potentially good. Best case scenario they listen to players and pay attention to how the game is actually being played.

If it's still the same old GW...

Time will tell.

I just really wish they'd look more at the MTG model and hire the ITC guys into a DCI equivalent.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Texmo posted:

I was in my local game store today, and noticed they had a set of Stormfront Eternal Warscroll Cards for sale, which is I think a fantastic idea, especially if they're anything like the ones from the Storm of Sigmar mini-starter box. Flipping through a codex to find unit rules is Tedious and Sucks, and i'd absolutely pay some bucks for the convenience of pre-made unit cards and tokens.
They're something i'd hoped GW would get around to doing for a while, and I certainly hope it catches on and sticks around.

It's these things, if you're wondering

How big are those in inches? I really like the Malifaux rules cards which are nice business card sized references.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deino posted:

The point I was bringing up is that GW is forcing other games out of the available space, though. That's a clearly predatory move in an environment that's previously been about showcasing as many games to as many people as possible. GW is trying to turn Adepticon into a GW event, instead of an industry-wide tabletop wargaming event.

GW is the biggest game in town, want to promote their product (which players have been begging them to better support) and Adepticon presumably has finite event space. What's your solution?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Next you'll tell me WotC should skip GenCon

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Adepticon has a pretty concrete idea of the demand for different games, and we do not. GW money will likely tip the scales of triage at the edges but I doubt they're effectively cancelling 9th Age so GW can have empty tables with Sigmar banners dangling from them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone know how often "temporarily out of stock" webstore stuff gets restocked?

I've got some Skaven dudes I want to buy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Business Gorillas posted:

got some bad news for you

That's what I figured but the Arch-Warlock seems like a modern sculpt and fits in with a currently supported army but v0v

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

About a fortnight or so. What did you have your mind on?

An Arch Warlock and Jezzails, though I don't expect Jezzails to show back up. TBH I hate the way Jezzails look and think they cost too much so I may try baby's first kitbash to get those.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
drat the Arch Warlock is a character they've apparently properly discontinued (Ikit Claw) and I can only find it on one website for $60. :negative:

Only Jezzail listing I see on ebay is really old models, which are ugly and have their novelty, but look like good value even with shipping from Europe. Still think I want to try my hand and making better looking ones.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah that guy.

Frustrating. They're both sold out in the US store and I can't add then switch regions to try and get around it.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 13, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The new AoS dwarves look like overdesigned poo poo.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Me, a person who likes a sigmarines: these are bad

Moola, a skeleton who hates modern GW: not bad

:psyduck:

I wonder how a Stormcast would look with one of those dorf heads...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Nope, no thank you.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

Just sounds like the standard chapter tactic-y rules tbh.

Do 40k rules actually require your Blood Angels to be painted red if you want to use their rules?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How do Stormcast look on 32mm bases? I want to put some chaos warrior heads and weapons on them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

Like Marines on 28mm, they just don't quite fit if they're in the usual wide-stance.

That was my best case scenario so I can live with it. Slambo needs some non-rats to hang out with him.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does anyone make Dwarves in Empire clothes? I've realized that's what I really want out of dwarves.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

Grab some Empire guys and give them the ol' Cotton Hill.

They stitched glued mah feet to mah knees!

Wears fancy hat

Twirls mustache

"I killed fitty men Orruks!"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How well are Slaves to Darkness supported? Obviously not as well as bloodmans, but just curious

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
These are real cool sculpts in there. I'ma sand some tiddies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

Are those models done in board game plastic?

I assume it's just like Blood Bowl or Space Hulk where they made them colors for people who want to play it straight out of the box instead of paint them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Business Gorillas posted:

did they ever fix the OFFICIAL rules of your army being some fences around a very nice looking tree
There's no sudden death in matched play so if you do that at a tournament you could just watch the other player sit on objectives and win while your terrain does nothing.

Or you could try to do that with Open Play and people would just stop playing with you.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing that bothers me about GW apologists is their insistence that being able to play the game how they want is somehow mutually exclusive from a game having comprehensive rules and balanced mechanics. Do they not realize that there is no miniature game police? I could go to my FLGS tomorrow and play a game of Kings of War where I fielded nothing but Troops even though that's a clear violation of the rules. As long as my opponent agrees, who cares?

I do not understand what is controversial about saying, "It is better to have good rules that you can choose to ignore than it is to have an incomplete game."
People who were fine with Open Play and no points boggle my mind.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Atlas Hugged posted:

To me it's the "dumb kid clause" and GW not realizing that there would be people who didn't want to play that way. When my friends and I were dumb kids on limited budgets, we often didn't have enough models to make legal units or we didn't have the right types of units to make legal armies. "My friend has 8 plastic halbediers and a hellblaster volley gun, but that doesn't work out to >50% and <25%, guess he can't play." Obviously we could have just played if we wanted to, and inevitably we did, but we always felt like we weren't really playing Warhammer. So it's nice when the official rules recognize that as a legitimate way to play and you don't think that you're "playing wrong". Even the Kings of War book says if you're playing smaller games not to worry about points or army composition. Just play with what you have ready.

As an adult with limited free time, if I get some models painted up, I want to put them on the table right away, but that doesn't always mean I have a legal way to field them. So just taking what you want regardless of strict composition rules does have a time and a place.

The issue isn't that GW emphasized this, it's that they didn't realize that people still like competitive play in addition to that and sometimes you want to see who the better commander is on an even battlefield. So the General's Handbook was a step in the right direction and it seems they're going to be avoiding this in Age of the Emperor.

Oh I definitely understand why it exists and think it's a good thing as a supported format, it's just confusing to think it was ever the only format and people were like "yes, good."

Like reading about/listening to podcasts about the General's Handbook Handbook release and hearing people mad they were adding points is weird. I'm new to wargaming so I'm fascinated by how hardcore some people are about fluffy/anti-competitive aspects of the game. I certainly lean towards fluff since I don't think GW rules are very conducive to meaningful competitive play, but I like the idea of having objectives and a loose metric of balance even if I'm gonna play a less strict format.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

dexefiend posted:

I am thinking about buying Sylvaneth mostly for hobby aspect. I would like to end up with a viable army.

Working slowly towards:
2 x Starters
5 x Kurnoth boxes
2 x Tree Revenants boxes

This mirrors a list I found, and contains the models i liked.

Does this look reasonable?

You need Trees

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Browsing lists for it a few weeks ago I saw a lot of horde type stuff with lots of Clanrats, Skavenslaves, Plague Monks, and Stormvermin or Battalion based Pestilens. If anyone's got upper table lists from Adepticon I'd like to browse through them, all I've been able to find is Nick Nanivati's winning Daemon list.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

Don't play a horde army in a game where you have to move each individual model with a tape measure.

I think I talked about this in the 40k thread once but I've got a bad thing about liking horde armies for the fluff, not because it's what I want to play. A solution is getting some laser cut MDF movement trays for deployment and movement until pile-ins.

It's so convenient, just imagine if everyone started using movement trays all the time for everything :haw:

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr.Booger posted:

where would one find allegiance bonuses? I have heard people refer to them, but didnt see any for skaven, is there such a thing?

The Grand Alliance: Chaos book and Skaven Pestilens Battletome. The warscrolls included with models are all you need to field the unit but if you want allegiance abilities or battalion warscrolls you have to buy your faction/army books. Pestilens is the only Skaven clan with their own book for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mr.Booger posted:

Ah, okay. I have the GH, but didn't see much about it other than it was a thing. I will wait til there is a better skaven book, as pestilence was my Jam back in the day, but I am more partial to hordes of dudes and skyre atm.

You might want to still get the chaos book then. You get Chaos Allegiance for undifferentiated Skaven if you want, and some batallions that might be good. I think the only Skryre allegiance ability (every unit must have Skryre keyword) right now is getting Stormfiends as Battleline so you don't have to move/manage a billion Clanrats.

• Locked thread